Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I unfortunately suffer with my eyes so brightness at night time can be an issue.

One reason I use f.lux {only available on J.B Phones} although I can't understand why as it's available on my MBA !

Chad-VI

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2014
Actually, there is a way to dim your iPhone 6's display at night, it's a hidden feature in the settings. Go to
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Zoom -> Enable Zoom
Tap the screen quickly with three fingers three times
Press ‘Choose Filter’ > ‘Low Light’, then set Zoom Region to “Full Screen Zoom”
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut (it’s at the bottom) -> Set to “Zoom”
Tap the screen quickly with 3 fingers two times to zoom out
Now, simply press the home button on your iPhone or iPad three times quickly and the screen will dim without zooming in. Press it another three times and the brightness will return to its previous settings.

Last edited:

Sunny1990

Suspended
Feb 13, 2015
Compared iphone 6 with iphone 6 plus
Iphone 6 plus display is less brighter compared to iphone 6 at full brightness

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
Actually, there is a way to dim your iPhone 6's display at night, it's a hidden feature in the settings. Go to
Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Accessibility Shortcut (it’s at the bottom) -> Set to “Zoom”
Now, simply press the home button on your iPhone or iPad three times quickly and the screen will dim without zooming in. Press it another three times and the brightness will return to its previous settings.

Why is nobody paying attention to this?????? READ WHAT I QUOTED AND IT WILL SOLVE YOUR PROBLEMS! :D :apple:

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
iPhone 6's screen is too bright???

You haven't used a Samsung @ Night with their Super AMOLED screens, give it a try and you'll see even at the darkest settings it will be beyond too bright.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
iPhone 6's screen is too bright???

You haven't used a Samsung @ Night with their Super AMOLED screens, give it a try and you'll see even at the darkest settings it will be beyond too bright.

I thought the Samsung phones Super AMOLED screens were really dim? Maybe they just had a small range of brightness or something, making them be too dark for outdoor viewing, but too bright for super dark rooms. I just remember my Galaxy S4 always being too dark.

But seriously guys, just go to Settings>General>Accessibilty>Zoom>On. Make sure it's set to "Full Screen Zoom". Also, go to Settings>General>Accessibility>Accessibilty Shortcut>Zoom.

Now, triple tap on the screen with 3 fingers to bring up the zoom options. First of all, make sure it is set to "Zoom Out". Then, do "Choose Filter", then, "Low Light"

Now you should be able to triple click the home button to disable zoom, and triple click the home button to enable it. Since you are set to "Zoom Out" in the zoom menu (Accessed by triple tap with 3 fingers) only the "Low Light" filter is applied. Essentially giving you very quick access to lower brightness levels. Just triple click the home button when you need the screen darker.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
^^^

Outdoor viewing is a whole diff thing, Super AMOLEDs or IPS displays without polarization films will always be to dimm to see in direct sunlight.

Super AMOLED displays produces the deepest blacks, but all the other colours are way over saturated and not accurate at all, especially not sRGB accurate.

Every Samsung product I've used in the past, their panels are always too bright and colours are always way off. Products I as referring to are the TV, LCDs and mobile devices. They also consume more power and dispense so much heat. In the summer with your air conditioner on, if you place your hands near the display of a Samsung LCD monitor you can feel the heat coming off it.

IPS will always win over OLED for colour accuracy.

Last edited:

draver

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015

+1 for this tip.

I did this a few months ago from a tip at another cell site.

I use this to dim my screen in my cradle while driving at night. A quick triple click reduces brightness to about 1/2 of it's current level. The dimmer it is to start, the dimmer it becomes when actuated. If you start with a low level, it gets really dark.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
Try this for night reading.

Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase Contrast > Reduce White Point

Toggle reduce white point will make the background white screen less brilliant. Yet leaves others colors and video alone.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I set triple-click home to Invert Colors (under Accessibility).

Whenever I'm using my phone in the dark I enable it. I have no idea how so many people stare into a blinding white screen while in the dark.

A dark theme wouldn't kill Apple, would it? It's like they don't use their devices in the real world outside of the office building.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Inverted colors is your only option. I occasionally use that when browsing at night.

EDIT: here's an iMore article about "dimming your screen more than control center allows."

http://www.imore.com/dim-your-screen-further-control-center-allows-and-other-cool-ios-8-tricks

no need to use inverted colors. just use the low light filter to darken it further. i have it set up as a triple click. its a lot dimmer than the lowest control center setting. set it up last night and works like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.