iPhone 6s Screen vs 6 / 6 Plus

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daudi81, Sep 28, 2015.

1. daudi81 macrumors regular

So, I originally had the 6 when it first came out, then upgraded to the 6 plus. However, I liked the colors / contrast on the 6 better than the plus (whether the plus was more accurate or not, I still liked the 6 screen more). So I promised myself when the 6s came out, I'd go back to it instead of getting the 6s plus.

When I got my iPhone 6s in the mail last Friday - much to my dismay the 6 (non-s) screen I fell in love with is not in the new 6s. I'm guessing it might have to do with the 3d touch / thicker screen thing. It's got this weird flushed out, yellow-ish warm tint to it. The colors don't pop like the original S.

My wife has the 6, and I still have the 6 plus laying around. I compare them side by side, with the my new 6s, and it's DEFINITELY noticeable.

It's small gripe, I know - first world problems. I can live with it, not a huge deal... - the screen is still nice - I'm just wondering if this was intended or if i got a bad screen? Has anyone else has noticed this?

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I think it's more likely that you just got a nice screen with the 6 that suited you. It happens. If you were to line up peoples phones the color would be different from phone to phone.

I have a 17" LCD for one of my old PowerPC Macs. It's the richest, best LCD for that model and I've owned a few 17" PowerBooks. It didn't mean the others were off or wrong, just that this particular LCD was good for me. Others may have seen it as too dark.

Just my two cents.

3. daudi81, Sep 28, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2015

daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, I know what you're talking about. I didn't realize the difference could be THAT much though. My 6 has a nicer screen than my 6 plus, but they are pretty similar (color-wise, not resolution). The only times you can tell the difference is when you put them right next to each other, and you can tell subtle differences in the color spectrum.

However, I could tell right off when I got the 6s and turned it on for the first time, there was a much more yellow / washed out tint to it. I didn't have to compare it next to another one. Putting it right next to the other phones only made it worse and solidified what i had thought.

If it's merely just a matter of a different stock / assembly line differences, I may go get a different one. I'm weird about my screens like that. But if the 6s just has different screen technology, I won't bother. Just wanted to know either way if someone else noticed this.

4. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

I also just compared the brightness on the phones - something I hadn't done yet.

There's definitely something up, because the 6s is maybe 75% of the brightness of my old 6 & 6 plus. It's a pretty massive difference. Is this a break-in issue, or is it just a defect?

I can live with the yellow-tint thing, but I'm always in the sun, so not having a bright screen is going to be a bummer. I would take it in to get it replaced, but seriously all the stores here have lines a mile long.

5. nordique macrumors 6502a

Not sure, I know some people have had issues with some 6S screens

For me, its the exact same.

6. powerocool macrumors 6502

powerocool

Try to use it normally for a few days. I've had 2 iPhone 6+ before and 6s+. For each new device when I first used it it's always at about 75% the brightness of the old device at highest brightness setting. After a few days, when I try to compare again, the new screen become as bright as the old screen.

New backlight might need some time to warm up.

7. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Perfect, thanks.

I've had the phone since Friday, and use it quite a bit and so far it doesn't seem as bright. I'll give it until the end of my return period and see if it sorts itself out. Hopefully by that time the lines at the Apple store will be acceptable.

Does using it at max brightness speed up the break in or does it matter?

8. Psyfuzz macrumors 6502

Psyfuzz

It's worth having a look in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/6s-yellow-tint.1921046/

I had a similar issue with my 6S and have got it sent out for a replacement since I found the yellow tint too much to deal with. Others have noted a yellow tint with their models whilst others are fine, I took my old one to my local  store and compared them, it was definitely more yellow than the other models. I also used my model pretty heavily between Friday's launch and Monday, without much improvement.

Here's my old one on the right for reference if you're interested:

Attached Files:

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Compare some display models. I bet you will find a variant. I didn't notice how yellow my 6 plus was until I got the 6s plus.

10. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

Good to know, my screen definitely is not as yellow as yours in those pics. It's definitely tolerable, unless the brightness doesn't improve.

In fact, my MacBook pro 15 seems to look a little yellow compared to my new 6s. Hopefully the screen will increase in brightness over the next few days and I won't have to play the return game, which I am fully prepared to do =)

11. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The 6s display really pops compared to my 6 Plus. Better contrast and black levels than the 6 Plus.

12. Sarah Jones 799 macrumors member

Sarah Jones 799

That the worst yellow screen I ever seen horrible.

13. barry.wiestling macrumors member

I notice that too. It almost gives me a headache to use though with how vibrant it is.

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Are you comparing against the 6s Plus? I need to compare against my friend's 6s Plus. The higher contrast display is enough of a reaso for me to stick to the 6s.

15. barry.wiestling macrumors member

I'm comparing the 6S to the 6. The 6S is more vibrant and gives me a head ache when looking at it too long.

16. daudi81 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm experiencing the opposite. My 6s screen looks a little washed out and darker than my 6.

Based on all the screen issues I'm reading about on here, I must have really nailed it and got lucky with the 6 screen. That thing is literally perfect. Perfect whites, blacks, perfect uniform throughout the whole screen, very bright, very vibrant. My 6s screen is good, but no where near as good as the 6.
    Guess it goes to show you're really playing a pseudo lottery game when you get these things, as far as screen quality is concerned.

Too bad I can't do screen transplant, I'd seriously consider doing it if it's that difficult to get a perfect screen =)