iPhone 6s still under manufacture warranty, whats the problem??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ACURA2015, May 15, 2016.

1. Kobbr macrumors regular

I thought the regular apple care was phased out for AppleCare+

2. MRxROBOT, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

I have faith that if you read my last post again you will find the answer to there being two variants of AppleCare available for purchase. Here’s something to mull over. Below is the link to the Apple iPhone’s One-Year Limited Warranty and not once is it referred to as AppleCare.

Apple One (1) Year Limited Warranty

Just to be clear I pointed out that the One-Year Limited Warranty and AppleCare are different products not because I disagreed with the point you were making but because you told the OP,

The fact is, it isn’t.

3. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

For lots of us old heads, AppleCare refers to getting service through Apple to fix Apple products. This term is used for both service done within the standard warranty period or during the extended warranty period (when an AppleCare Protection Plan is purchased).

Also, a few years ago, Apple stopped selling the AppleCare Protection Plan for iPhones (and other devices) and replaced it with AppleCare+. I just checked, and at least in the USA for a standard buyer (i.e. not a student or government customer), you are only offered AppleCare+ as a purchase option.

The wiki page for AppleCare describes the term AppleCare as the division within Apple that handles tech support.

So, to be a pedant, you would say, "Give AppleCare a call to see if your AppleCare+ or AppleCare Protection Plan will handle that repair."

And you could say something like, "Call AppleCare to get that battery taken care of under the Standard 1-year warranty."

Anyways, it's all just semantics. ;)

4. MRxROBOT, May 19, 2016
    Last edited: May 19, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

The world is bigger than the U.S. ;) The AppleCare Protection Plan is still being sold in markets abroad for iPhone, I included a link in my earlier post. Furthermore AppleCare is currently being sold in the US for products like Macs, Apple TV and TB Display.

Even though AppleCare is a division at Apple, you pointed out that it is indeed not the name of the One-Year Limited Warranty. However you're right, it is all just semantics. I only pointed out the difference because of the following post,

5. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

The fact that AppleCare Protection Plan (APP) is being sold outside of the USA for iPhones is irrelevant in this discussion. The OP is in the US, all of the replies and suggestions were referring to Apple-US products and policies.

And yes, I do realize that Apple still sells APP for products in the US, but the point is that in the USA, for iPhones, the paid, extended warranty program is called AppleCare+ for normal buyers.

6. MRxROBOT, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

Actually the fact that Apple sells APP for the iPhone outside the U.S. is completely relevant. It shows that when Apple sells AppleCare there is a clear distinction between it and the One-Year Limited Warranty. Furthermore, each warranty is segregated clearly across the board for all Apple products.

One-year limited warranty is the warranty that comes standard with all Apple products in the U.S.

AppleCare Protection Plan is the extended warranty Apple sells for it's products but does not cover accidental damage. In the U.S. this plan extends the warranty for all Macs (which covers the Airport Routers and Time Capsule), TB Display, and Apple TV.

AppleCare+ is the extended warranty Apple sells for it’s products and it covers incidental damage. In the U.S. this plan extends the warranty and covers incidental damage for the iPod, iPad, iPhone, and Apple Watch.

To say an iDevice comes standard with AppleCare is incorrect as AppleCare is the other extended warranty Apple sells for various products.

I'm not sure why you felt that was a point that needed being made. The discourse between matt_on_a_mtn and I was about what the standard warranty was called. Sure it's all semantics but this was the discussion. The point being made was never about if AppleCare+ is the name of the extended warranty in the U.S., in fact that's probably the one thing that wasn't being disagreed upon.

7. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I brought that up because you felt it necessary to point out that Apple does sell something called AppleCare Protection Plan in the US. I was only pointing it out that in the US for regular iPhone buyers, which the OP presumably is, the only extended warranty that Apple offers is AppleCare+

Anyways, I do agree with you that this is all about semantics at this point. I'm sorry for butting into your discussion with matt.

I went back to re-read all of the posts by Matt and yourself and yes, you're correct. The only thing you disagree with him on is that he was wrong to call the standard warranty as "AppleCare". But, you know, he won't be the last to do that. Like I said in my first post, a lot of us old heads will use the term AppleCare to refer to the standard 1-year warranty. We'll also use AppleCare to describe what's now known as AppleCare Protection Plan.

EDIT - I just noticed that Matt_on_a_mtn's account is suspended. Not implying anything. Just think it's odd.

8. MRxROBOT, May 20, 2016
    Last edited: May 20, 2016

MRxROBOT macrumors 6502

MRxROBOT

It was pertinent to bring up Apple selling AppleCare Protection in the U.S. because it shows why the OP was confused. Although correct, pointing out Apple's extended warranty for the iPhone in the U.S. being AppleCare+ is neither here nor there as this was not something we disagreed upon.

Apologies are unnecessary. It’s great to engage with different views/thoughts on everything. I always enjoy healthy discourse :).

I’m not some warranty czar and don’t really care what people call the :apple: warranty. I only interjected because matt_on_a_mtn told the OP they had a “reading comprehension problem” and the standard warranty is Called AppleCare. This confused the OP (rightly so) as they had not purchased AppleCare (an extended warranty available for purchase across multiple products in the U.S.) for their iPhone. In the broad sense, matt_on_a_mtn was not wrong about what the warranty offered the OP but neither was the OP in saying they never purchased AppleCare. The correct response would not have been to tell the OP they had a “reading comprehension problem” but that the iPhone’s One-Year Limited Warranty offers said benefits.

9. Order_66 macrumors member

Order_66

Did you bring the box with you? the box should have had whatever numbers he needed.

And apple will still do a swap, I took my wifes iphone 6 plus in a couple weeks ago, it was 10 months old and had an issue with the antenna and couldn't keep a solid connection, took around 15 minutes and we were out the door with a free replacement.

In January I took in an ipod 5 touch that was 11 months old, it worked perfectly until I came back home from a trip to China then the battery life went down fast, I could listen to maybe 1 hour of music and it was dead, I was prepared to pay to have a new battery installed, I told the guy at the genius bar that I had used it in China, Vietnam, Taiwan, Japan and Cambodia and the different charging adapters probably messed it up but he said no problem and brought me a replacement ipod because he said there are no diagnostics for the battery in the ipod making it impossible to tell what is really wrong with it.