iPhone 6S TSMC 16nm beats Samsung 14nm in battery life and speed tests

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Trius, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Trius, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015

Trius macrumors 6502a

Trius

Interesting stuff, 20% more battery is nothing to sneeze at.. haven't seen any mention here about this yet.

Live test results comparing Samsung 14nm vs TSMC 16nm chip.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...6s-versions-yields-surprising-results_id74448

Chinese website ran live benchmarks on each chip showing TSMC with up to 20% better battery life
    http://m.mydrivers.com/newsview/449771.html?ref=

TSMC also showed a slight performance advantage
    http://m.mydrivers.com/newsview.aspx?id=449834&cid=1

(Credit - /u/pw5a29)

2. jtwlbz macrumors 6502a

hmm... honestly I can't trust this random chinese testing results.

3. Serickmetz macrumors 6502

Serickmetz

Awe why not? Got a Samsung unit?

4. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

5. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

Sweet! I got the TSMC chip and my phone is mint. Happy camper!

6. SF-RR7 macrumors member

Used the Lirum app and I have the Samsung chip.
    Mines run perfect without problems and can't tell a difference cause don't have one with tsmc.

7. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Cool. Since I got the TSMC chip on mine. Definitely a keeper.

8. viperGTS macrumors 65816

Wow, now I don't only have to worry about getting a phone that has no defects! NOW I have to worry about if I get the better chip too! Wonderful. I love playing this game.

9. CEmajr macrumors 601

Now all we need is for Macrumors to run a story based off unsubstantiated claims that one chip is better than the other. Then we'll have it spread around like wildfire and find the official "-Gate" for the 6S.

10. dsc888 macrumors 6502

I'm sure we'll be hearing about it on CNN tomorrow morning

11. HEK, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2015

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

First off, testing one of each phone proves nothing. What is the variability of the test, how repeatable is it? Then what is variability of over let's say 120 piece sample of each phone? With this information you will have a benchmark to compare against.

Next the test needs to be done double blind, where the tester does not know what phone/chip combination is being tested. The identity of chip is revealed only after all results are in.

Then how repeatable is the test itself. How can you tell if the screen setting is same? When you run benchmark tests on one phone over and over, you never get same results twice. This test is so filled with scientific method errors, it amounts to nothing but click bate. Another way to get people to click sites and feed the ads and trackers. Good thing I have the blockers turned on!

12. EgGKeith macrumors member

Hello everyone I got my 6s plus with Samsung cpu just now, er.... I don't really care about that 30% battery life actually ... For the first impression of my new iPhone is awesome... That is all and that is it... Even 30% battery life more for 6s is still not enough.... So why care so much ?

13. marf1million macrumors regular

Yeah but potentially three out of every four people paying the same price for the same phone as you will get 30% better battery life. Hardly fair. (if the tests are accurate and translate into everyday battery life.)

14. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

You should be a clickbait writer for some bush league tech news website (like PhoneArena) with this thread.

"In any case, the impromptu results indicate that the 14nm and 16nm die sizes are so close to each other, that their performance overlaps, and the 16nm even pulls a bit ahead. You can stop worrying what exactly kind of A9 is in your new iPhone, though, as they are both crushing the benchmarks anyway."​

15. EgGKeith macrumors member

are u sure is 3/4?

16. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

TSMC 6s + here. Glad I waited for an AppStore app. Not like finding out made a whole lot of difference.

17. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

most iphone owners wont know and wont care. they buy the phone and use it. they never visit forums like this

18. supervelous macrumors 6502

Was initially mildly dissapointed I got the tsmc chip in my 6S Plus but then didn't really care. Same case with this new speculation, wouldn't return it if I had a Samsung chip unless I had noticeable issues.

This whole thing seems overblown.

19. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Baseless speculation not taking into consideration the multitude of factors that can affect battery life?! Time to write a blog post!

20. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Bet there are people who say their battery life is amazing and they say so because it actually is. Then they run this test and it tells them they've got the inferior chip and suddenly they get all paranoid and start using the phone even more, draining the battery life even quicker and then screaming: OH MY GOD THE BATTERY IS CRAP ON THIS PHONE.

We really do have a lot of time on our hands.

21. pipa macrumors regular