Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
why is nobody reading the 9to5mac article about the possibility that the next iphone is called iphone 6se and 2017 iphone the iphone 7?

Changing to a 3year old design cycle? Iphone 5, 5s, se.

Iphone 6, 6s, 6se or 6 pro, 6X

Iphone 7...

Last edited:

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
I've actually read that article and find it fairly plausible.
Only problem is the iPhone SE. There is no number in that name, so it'd be confusing to have an iPhone 6SE.
I really hope Apple has a more elegant solution to the naming problem, but I'm afraid they don't.

Reactions: Jetcat3

ASUgrad1999

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
Gilbert, AZ
why is nobody reading the 9to5mac article about the possibility that the next iphone is called iphone 6se and 2017 iphone the iphone 7?

Iphone 6, 6s, 6se

Iphone 7...

I'm inclined to agree with this but I wonder if they would leave the current SE as-is as that might be confusing. I think they should move to identify iPhone devices (almost said iPhones - whew!) by screen size like they do with iPads and MacBooks. Rather than 6, 6+ they would have SE 4", SE 4.7" and SE 5.5" (and maybe also a Pro 5.5").

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Not trying to sound rude, but I don't really care about the naming of the device. It seems pretty clear that, if the leaks aren't completely fabricated, we've moved in to a three year design refresh whether they call it the 6se, the 7, just an iPhone, or whatever else. Whether this pattern continues or not will remain to be seen, and we won't know if they plan to repeat for at least a couple of years.

Reactions: gim

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Iphone 7...

Apple needs to keep it simple. Something like iPhone, iPhone plus, iPhone Pro followed by the year. e.g. 2016 iPhone Plus.

JerTheGeek

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I absolutely think this name makes perfect sense. This year's iPhone is not changing the design so it doesn't need a new number in the name. People have come to expect a new design with every new number, so Apple needs a new naming scheme if they're gonna do a redesign every three years. Hopefully Apple does away with numbers sometime in the near future and I think they will next year, but for now, this 6SE name makes the most sense IMO, as it is basically a refined "special edition" of the original 6 design.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I absolutely think this name makes perfect sense. This year's iPhone is not changing the design so it doesn't need a new number in the name. People have come to expect a new design with every new number, so Apple needs a new naming scheme if they're gonna do a redesign every three years. Hopefully Apple does away with numbers sometime in the near future and I think they will next year, but for now, this 6SE name makes the most sense IMO, as it is basically a refined "special edition" of the original 6 design.

iPhone 6SEC: The 4" version of the colorful plastic iPhone.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Nah, there's already enough buzz that Apple is phoning it in this year (no pun intended) without giving their 2016 flagship a name that makes it sound like a second rehash of their 2014 phone, especially given that it will likely look the same.

My gut tells me that they will avoid calling this phone any variation of iPhone 6. The average user may not pay close attention to specs, but they will pick up on the fact that Apple has been on the iPhone 6 for three years, and that will make it seem stale.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
SE stands for "special edition". It's not really special if they release one on a regular cycle.

Well, Apple can pretty much make SE stand for whatever they want, or nothing at all. Does the "s" in 3Gs/4s/5s/6s stand for the same thing? It first stood for "speed" then maybe "Siri" but after that people just make up things. The truth is it's just there for consistency at this point.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Well, Apple can pretty much make SE stand for whatever they want, or nothing at all. Does the "s" in 3Gs/4s/5s/6s stand for the same thing? It first stood for "speed" then maybe "Siri" but after that people just make up things. The truth is it's just there for consistency at this point.
Yeah, they kept changing the S to mean something else until it just became the new phone, old design model after so many years. I just don't think it would make much sense to do that with SE because the iPhone SE was something different for Apple and it didn't start any kind of pattern with Apple's regular lineup. And it's also not called the iPhone 5SE.

Apple might do it, but it just doesn't make much sense to me.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
If Apple didn't call the SE 5SE, there's no way the next iPhone will be 6SE, especially because the SE stands for "special edition". The next iPhone isn't "special edition" by any means, it's the new flagship model.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
SE stands for "special edition". It's not really special if they release one on a regular cycle.

If Apple didn't call the SE 5SE, there's no way the next iPhone will be 6SE, especially because the SE stands for "special edition". The next iPhone isn't "special edition" by any means, it's the new flagship model.
Various car makers have done it for multiple years for various models they put out. Basically, for example, SE for the 2017 model, even though there's an SE for the 2016 model that exists as well.

Reactions: JerTheGeek

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Various car makers have done it for multiple years for various models they put out. Basically, for example, SE for the 2017 model, even though there's an SE for the 2016 model that exists as well.
It would make perfect sense to release a new iPhone SE next year that's a successor to the current iPhone SE (updated 4" iPhone with mostly flagship specs but at a much cheaper price) because Apple would just be continuing an already existing line of phones and it's still a special edition phone: it's not their flagship.

But it doesn't make any sense to change their flagship line to include SE in the name.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
On numerous occasions when I suggested this year's iPhone will have "6" branding people laughed. I.E. Apple would embrace rather than avoid that it resembles the 6s. Thus saving "iPhone 7" for next year to increase marketing impact. Rather than new number now "7" and new number again next year "8".

I'm sure I'll now hear how, "when you think about it this makes so much sense" and "this is obvious".

"Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge".

— Carl Jung

Last edited:
Reactions: LoveToMacRumors

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I love how on numerous occasions when I suggested this year's iPhone will have "6" branding people laughed. So Apple would confidently embrace that this year's iPhone looks like the 6s and most probably suggest a perfecting of the 6 design. Thus saving "iPhone 7" for next year for great impact with a new number. Rather than new number now "7" and new number again next year "8".

I'm sure I'll here now how, "when you think about it this makes so much sense" and "this is obvious, actually".

"Thinking is difficult, that's why most people judge".

— Carl Jung

Do you want a cookie or something? For what it's worth, I still think you're wrong as I explained in my comment above. I won't laugh or judge you though since it's not an unreasonable hypothesis, and it may turn out to be correct after all. I just don't think so.

Reactions: warden and Channan

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Do you want a cookie or something? For what it's worth, I still think you're wrong as I explained in my comment above. I won't laugh or judge you though since it's not an unreasonable hypothesis, and it may turn out to be correct after all. I just don't think so.

Just pointing out how insulting and averse people around here can be to alternate opinions.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I think it will be called the iPhone 7, there is a slight design change, one of the lower antenna bands have been removed, there will (probably) be no headphone jack, and the possibility of a darker model. If the rumours are true we will see a much bigger camera in the iPhone 7 and a dual camera in the 7 Plus/Pro (depending on what they call it). There is likely to be a bump in storage to 256GB, and there may well be other features that we just don't know about yet. I can see Apple just giving a camera bump and 256GB storage as the only features, after all they want people to upgrade, even the 6S had more features

Live Photos
3D Touch
bump in megapixels to 12
4K Video

So i'm guessing that there will be more to the iPhone 7, that we just don't know yet, maybe more enhancements to 3D Touch? Waterproofing?

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida

Iphone 7...

I too don't care what they call it. Whatever it will be it, will be, who cares. It's not important, what is important is what it looks like, what it has inside and what it will do for me personally.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
They need to drop those stupid names. An iPhone is an iPhone. All you do is pick the right size, colour and storage. Cut on the SKUs in general, it's becoming Apple of the 90's very fast.
I agree. I was a little happy when it looked like they were going to do that with the iPad until the iPad Air came out. Now we have two iPad Pros without a standard iPad to compare it to. If and when Apple makes a 7.9" iPad Pro to replace the mini, every iPad will be a Pro.

Apple should just follow their own example with the MacBook lineup. Every iPhone should just be called "iPhone" and every iPad should just be called "iPad". If Apple wants to release a standard iPad plus another one with additional features, power, etc. then add the Pro name to that one. But drop the numbers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.