Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Backup for me never had an issue. Now if I was going from a 3GS to the 7 maybe but all my apps are updated and iOS is updated so can't foresee an issue.

archer75

macrumors 68040
Jan 26, 2005
Oregon
I never restore from a backup. Everything I have is in the cloud anyways and i'd rather set a phone up as new.

wgr73

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2005
New Mexico
256gb and setting up as new, then carving out new options, settings, photos, music....ya, NO. Restoring from backup as I have since iPhone 1

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Selective restore would be cool. I used to start fresh but now I'm not losing a year+ worth health and activity data. Also, so many passwords and other things to worry about as well that an encrypted backup makes so easy.

In many ways it is easier to start fresh though, with iCloud Photo Library and Apple Music / Library for example.

Check out activity decipher tool. Just stumbled upon it and apparently works really well for only saving health and activity. I'm going to create two backups, one using this tool and one regular. If the tool backup fails, I will restore the full backup. But looking forward to only restoring health.

Reactions: profets

unglued

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2016
This year I'm looking at starting as new iPhone. What's the best way to get my pictures from my 6S to 7? Would I just add them to iPhoto on my Mac then sync photos through iTunes?
Not bothered about messages etc, I appear to have almost 11gb of messages.
I believe iPhoto will do it all on its own maybe someone else here can confirm. But either way if you use iPhoto or iTunes I would do a test run to verify what format your photos will end up with.

I recall it stripping down to some other compressed format...maybe I'm thinking of videos not sure but you probably don't want to lose any raw quality photos sitting on the old phone.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
Im moving up from the iphone5 and have lots of unwanted data/apps so I'll be doing a clean install.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I keep my phone clean and lean and have always used an encrypted backup to restore my new phone and never had a problem.

Choice is good but I do not have time to screw around with my phone for days to get it back where I want. Only way I would do a fresh install is if my current iPhone was a mess.

Do you update or restore from backup. I see little reason to restore from backup unless the update produces problems.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Do you update or restore from backup. I see little reason to restore from backup unless the update produces problems.

Update from a backup?

I have never had reason to update from a backup. Explain?

I use the cloud for backup nightly but also do a hard encrypted backup about ever two weeks.

I will use a fresh iTunes encrypted backup to restore my 7+.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Update from a backup?

I have never had reason to update from a backup. Explain?

I use the cloud for backup nightly but also do a hard encrypted backup about ever two weeks.

I will use a fresh iTunes encrypted backup to restore my 7+.

Sorry, I meant why not just updated to iOS 10 on your device instead of clean install iOS 10 and then restore from backup.

But I forgot we were discussing a new phone. I was thinking of people who would wipe and restore from backup their current device.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

joefrank64k

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
Restore from backup, as I've done for every iPhone since the original.

Besides...I still have the very first pic I took with the original iPhone on my camera roll, I can't loose that precious bit of history :D

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Restore from backup, as I've done for every iPhone since the original.

Besides...I still have the very first pic I took with the original iPhone on my camera roll, I can't loose that precious bit of history :D

Ever thought of syncing the picture to your computer or the cloud? :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.