iPhone 7 battery case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by benz240, Sep 17, 2016.

1. benz240 macrumors regular

Has anyone bought one for the iPhone 7 yet? If so, how do you like it? Worth it?

2. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Curious too! I want to buy one

3. techno-Zen macrumors 6502a

techno-Zen

Got it, I get the design and like how it feels in my hand.

Haven't really tested the life of it though

4. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I have one. I actually really like it. It's not as big and ugly as others suggest.

I'm only going to use it in instances where I'm away from power for extended periods of time, however

5. JoePa2624 macrumors regular

JoePa2624

I bought but only plan to use it during my travels. The bulkiness isn't terrible, especially compared to other battery cases. Being able to use a lightning cable is great as well as the notification widget showing both battery levels.

6. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

So, I just walked out of the Apple Store with a white battery iPhone 7 case for my silver iPhone 7.

The silicon on the case is nice and even though I don't want to like the case design, I like how it feels. The case has a good grip and doesn't have a lot of friction when putting it into my pants.

I'll have to come back later today or tomorrow to provide information on the battery.

7. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Please do curious what the battery on the case % wise is at the end of your day :).

8. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I got the battery case on Friday when I got my iPhone, but have decided to return it.

It's a really nice case, and the phone feels good in the hand when in the case. However, I do a lot of gaming on my phone, and 99% of the games I play are in landscape mode. For some reason, because of the weight distribution of the battery case and because of the slight "chin" at the bottom, the phone feels somewhat lobsided in my hands, and has become annoying while gaming.

I could just take it off when gaming, but I know the silicone is going to wear down fast if I keep taking it off and putting it on. So I've decided to return it and will instead get either the regular Apple silicone case or the Apple leather case.

If you don't use the iPhone in landscape mode often, then I would recommend this case. But if you do use the phone in landscape mode often, even for heavy typing, then you may find the chin at the bottom of the case annoying as your thumb has to reach that much further to hit the right letters.

9. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I don't game really on my phone so I think I will get it, could you tell us the battery results you got from using it?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Hoping today you will reveal your findings:)

10. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I pulled the trigger and got it today, it feels nice and not thick!

11. nasa25 macrumors 65816

I had the case as a backup but now that I've found a few small nicks on my matte black I'm using it full time. I love the weight of the phone with the battery case. It gives it a premium feel.

12. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

The case is great, though, I may actually return it. I think it uses battery pretty fast, but that isn't the case's fault. Instead, it appears to be my iPhone 7, which uses a lot more juice than I thought. It is nice, but I do think it can be bulky. I actually just switched to a clear thin case and I am not sure what I am going to do.

Anyone else think that it cannot possibly be good for the iPhone to be in constant charge from the battery case? That is as if the phone was constantly hooked up to the charger for a long duration of the day. I am wondering if that diminishes the life of the battery in the iPhone 7.

13. Eric5273 macrumors 6502a

I was wondering the same about the battery, so here are some thoughts I have:

1) I think if you rarely need the extra juice, then your iPhone's battery will stay topped off almost all of the time. That is indeed not good for the battery. I know from years of owning a MacBook, they tell you to not keep it plugged in 24/7 as that will cause the battery to lose capacity over time. So the best thing to do with this battery case is to use it in a way where you deplete both the case battery and at least 50% of the iPhone battery on a somewhat regular basis. In my case, that means using it for 2 days without charging. Then at least the phone's battery is seeing some regular charging and discharging, which is necessary to keep a healthy battery.

2) As for the capacity of the battery case, after using it a few days I think it is obvious that some percentage of the battery is kept unused. This is to be expected -- here is why.... With Lithium batteries, it is NOT good for the health of a battery to completely discharge the battery on a regular basis. Yet, the battery case is set up in a way where that is exactly what happens to the case battery. So I believe they probably took about 20-30% of the battery's capacity and hold it back in reserve. This way even when the case battery registers at empty, it is not completely discharged, and thus the battery will not be ruined. Another reason I believe this to be the case is that even though the case battery is larger than the phone's battery, it does not seem to double the life of the battery. I seem to be getting about an extra 60-70% battery life. Although I will admit that this is not a scientific test and just my general feeling after a few days of use.

3) I think it's a very nice product and a good buy, but I will be returning mine for the reasons stated in my previous post above. I'm planning to go to the Apple Store tomorrow to return it and I will be getting the Apple leather case instead.

14. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

I'm sure Apple did lots of tests with the ways over charging issue. Worst case if you have Apple care they can replace the battery if it becomes faulty :)

15. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Besides I think that Apple designed it where it runs only off the external battery first which this does not touch the internal battery at the same time but I could be wrong.

16. eclipxe macrumors regular

The battery case is smart. You don't need to worry about managing the charge on your own. Just use the phone and case and it works out well.

17. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Exactly what I thought, I trust the iPhone battery will not be damage from it :p? Everyone brought that concern up

18. Mike84 macrumors 6502a

Where did you read that? Not necessarily challenging you, but I am curious as to how apple manages the battery and how it charges the phone.

19. cleebrown93 macrumors regular

I just picked it up. I am liking it so far. Nice grip, not as bulky as I thought. Makes it easier to hold, just heavier. Charing up case now. I will see how battery performs tomorrow.

20. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Battery life is great. I fully charged the phone/case 13 hours ago and have probably used it for about 3 hours throughout the day. Case is currently at 50%.

21. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

As we speak my case is about to die and took it off the charger at 6 am :) do you Know if the case could effect the battery long term?

22. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Well the battery is in a constant state of charge so perhaps that could have negative effects on it long term. What's interesting is that my case is now at 45% yet my phone is down to 94%. I was assuming that the phone would be charged at 100% until the case is fully depleted or nearly fully depleted. Perhaps the case charges the phone at a lower rate once it, itself, is relatively low on charge?

23. eclipxe macrumors regular

The cases manages the battery state to be optimal for longevity.

24. nasa25 macrumors 65816

Ah thanks for the explanation.

25. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

So it's okay to use it everyday? I want to make sure the battery does not drain fast in a year from now lol