Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
Thing is, this thread contains no proof that charging an Apple device past 80 percent does anything bad to the battery. I have a lot of Apple devices and that includes lots of iPods and iOS units. They never needed particular babying when it came to the battery.
So unless we see some test of sorts that confirms that charging a modern Apple device past a certain point is bad, I will file these claims as anecdotal, at best.
The Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries Apple use are not different from other manufacturers. Same laws of physics apply.

This article describes charging very well: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

In short: Apple does not mention on their site that Li-ion are best maintained below full charge. But then again, Apple makes money from replacing the batteries.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I am pretty sure Apple doesn't sell batteries as a business but as a means to service their devices. I don't think that huge a profit can be made from service compared to selling a new device. You make mit sound as if there is a deception going on on Apples side.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Another thread about batteries. No way I will
I am pretty sure Apple doesn't sell batteries as a business but as a means to service their devices. I don't think that huge a profit can be made from service compared to selling a new device. You make mit sound as if there is a deception going on on Apples side.

Some ALWAYS think it is a conspiracy. :(

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Li-Ion and Li-Poly batteries Apple use are not different from other manufacturers. Same laws of physics apply.

This article describes charging very well: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

In short: Apple does not mention on their site that Li-ion are best maintained below full charge. But then again, Apple makes money from replacing the batteries.
Best, perhaps, but how much of a meaningful/noticeable difference would it really make for a typical user to put in all that effort all the time to do that? Opportunity cost and return on investment realistically can be more important than simply just "best".

Last edited:

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Best, perhaps, but how much of a meaningful/noticeable difference would it really make for a typical user to spent so much effort all the time to do that? Opportunity cost and return on investment realistically can be more important than simply just "best".

AMEN!

Not going to waste my time worrying about the battery on my 7+. I plug it in before bed and it is ready for a full day in the morning. Seldom come home with less that 50% so the battery is a non-issue for me.

I do understand that some people are different and want to squeeze every little of performance out of their phone . . . . I just got better things to do.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I just bought the iPhone 7 and I come fom an iPhone 5 bought on the first day lol so yes i care :D
My dad used my iP4 up until this autumn, which I originally bought in the first half of december 2010 and had used daily for nearly three years straight before giving it to him.

I didn't really do anything particular about the battery, other than trying to charge it before it depleted too much, preferably while still above 50%. My dad was hopeless with this, he often let it drain really low, I told him not to, but even after I did so I would still notice it hitting sub-40% frequently.

Anyhow, same battery as when bought. It held up this whole time. You dont' need to worry. :)

Reactions: Vampire14

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Hi all,

I just received my new iPhone 7.

Ten years ago, it was recommended to discharge enterly our battery at least once a week to keep battery life at maximum and it was really not good to let it connected all the time, now it is recommended to charge it when you can to avoid using cycle for nothing.

I was wondering, as i work on computer, and don't need my iPhone when i go around the office, wouldn't it be better for my iPhone to let it connected for charge all day, than using a cycle during this day where its doesn't really need it ?

Sorry for poor english !

Thanks

My launch day iPhone 6 which spent it's life sitting on a dock and plugged in, does about the same in battery as my several-month-old work iPhone 6

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
You assume that Apple devices don't deliberately stop charging before the battery hits its physical capacity...

Then again, maybe they do charge to 100% physical capacity, I've really no idea. Anyhow, when was the last time you wore out a battery in one of your devices? I've never managed. I've never seen anyone else stating they have. If people talk about having batteries replaced, it's because it was faulty in some way.

This is a non-issue. You will dump your device before the battery wears out.

Reactions: Vampire14

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
You assume that Apple devices don't deliberately stop charging before the battery hits its physical capacity...

Then again, maybe they do charge to 100% physical capacity, I've really no idea. Anyhow, when was the last time you wore out a battery in one of your devices? I've never managed. I've never seen anyone else stating they have. If people talk about having batteries replaced, it's because it was faulty in some way.

This is a non-issue. You will dump your device before the battery wears out.

Exactly. It seems that most appear to be upgrading annually. So if that's the case, this thread would be negligible. Some do keep their phones longer than others. But the way carriers are treating things with upgrades and annual promotions, the likeliness of someone having a new device every year it's becoming more widespread.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016

Exactly. It seems that most appear to be upgrading annually. So if that's the case, this thread would be negligible. Some do keep their phones longer than others. But the way carriers are treating things with upgrades and annual promotions, the likeliness of someone having a new device every year it's becoming more widespread.

That people upgrade annually is maybe a forum thing but does not match the vast majority of customers out there, in my opinion most people have a phone for at least two years.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
That people upgrade annually is maybe a forum thing but does not match the vast majority of customers out there, in my opinion most people have a phone for at least two years.

Most carriers only are offer annual upgrade programs to put the customer in a position were they can trade their device in annually for the latest iPhone. It's certainly not mandatory, but it's certainly changed the timeline for how long someone keeps their device compared to three years ago. I think you would be surprised how many upgrade annually with promotional incentives that are worth while and the crowd who keeps their devices longer than two years is dwindling.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone
OK I will play.

I did not say the battery is bypassed. Phone uses the battery no matter plugged in or not.

If you use your phone off the charger you will use more cycles in a shorter period of time.

If your phone stays on the charger all day, the charger will only kick in when the battery get below like 97% and quits charging when it reaches 100%. Depending on what you phone uses while on the charger and idle, it would take days to reach a full cycle where if unplugged you could run your phone to empty and charge it, using a full cycle.

Do not need documentation as I have observed this on my iPhones for years now.

As documentation, I verify what Newtons Apple says. Listen to what he says, as he knows from what he speaks.

All this has be repeated and well documented repeatedly on this forum. The trickle charge that iPhone takes from the power adapter at full charge is so low you could leave phone plugged in for a year with no ill effects. Go to Battery University and read up on technical attributes of Li Ion Polymer batteries. Just remember, Apple has taken into account the charging parameters for LI Ion batteries.

Apple has made the charging circuit built into the phone smart enough to circumvent the user idiots. You can not drop voltage to dangerous, to battery, levels nor can you overcharge to excessive voltage. Charge it any way you like and unless you are one of the rare few that received a defective battery, you phone battery will last well beyond your length of use. And if you did on rare chance receive a bad battery apple warranty generally will replace it.

With that said, there are many runaway apps that suck up battery by using the radios even when phone is asleep. Facebook is famous for this. So chances are very high if you have rapid discharge issues, it is app/software related, rather than battery issue. If you live or work in a poor reception area, LTE cellular will boost signal such that battery is sucked dry way faster than average.
[doublepost=1482605686][/doublepost]
If you want to maximize the battery life, never charge above 80% nor fall below 60%. That is the sweet spot for Li Ion batteries. Of course you will have to carry your power adapter and cord everywhere you go. Or get battery backup and take that with you.

Just think how happy the third owner of your phone will be ten years down the road.

Or you can not obsess and just charge as needed. And still get three and four year battery life. If you have 80% capacity after two years use and 500 charge cycles, what is the issue really. Use the phone, charge it overnight or when it needs it. What difference is it if you get one hour more or less. You can't control cellular reception and radio strength anyway so unless you are in a controlled lab environment what is the concern.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
Or you can not obsess and just charge as needed. And still get three and four year battery life. If you have 80% capacity after two years use and 500 charge cycles, what is the issue really. Use the phone, charge it overnight or when it needs it. What difference is it if you get one hour more or less.
Pretty much what I have been saying all along.

clauzzz203

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2012
Update from coconut battery:
personal iphone 6, 2 yrs old, 370 cycles, spent day and night on powered dock, hosted hotspot, cellular calls for other devices, 90% capacity remaining
work iphone 6, 2 yrs old, 240 cycles, charged normally when empty, 85% capacity remaining
macbook pro retina 2014, 210 cycles, plugged in day and night when not in use, 95% capacity remaining

I think it’s definitive proof not to waste your time on it? Probably when on dock, it uses just AC to do it’s background work or notifications, thus sparing the battery

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMcGuire

kevinbeared

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2015
After 1 month of use, where i tried to stay out of the 0-20% battery by charging whenever i can my iPhone 7, the battery last a entire day but today i decided to test and dry out the battery entirely, and my iPhone shuts down at 3% ! Like my 4 years old iPhone 5 used to... so i don't know what to think.

Keep charged your battery all the time, and the battery will "decalibrate" (don't know if that word exists)...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
After 1 month of use, where i tried to stay out of the 0-20% battery by charging whenever i can my iPhone 7, the battery last a entire day but today i decided to test and dry out the battery entirely, and my iPhone shuts down at 3% ! Like my 4 years old iPhone 5 used to... so i don't know what to think.

Keep charged your battery all the time, and the battery will "decalibrate" (don't know if that word exists)...
3% isn't all that much off really. If you want once in a while let it run down for "calibration" purposes, but that's about it.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Yes. If you don't turn your phone off regularly, or let it drop below 10% once in a while, the percent won't be as accurate. As it is, the percent is only an estimate. I restart my phone once a week and it usually prevents the misreading.

cbreze

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2014
Oregon
Staying between 20-80% over the course of time of ownership seems an awful hassle. Talk about OCD behavior. I've always been in the plug it in over nite routine and have never had battery issues ever. Think I'll stick with what's been working for me. Interesting tho how people get so passionate about their phone batteries.

addey

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2016
I wouldn't worry about it. I just changed the battery in my wife's iPhone 6. Bought the battery and tools from amazon for £17 and watched a YouTube vid. Took about 20 mins.

blcfla

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2013
I haven't paid any mind to the rhyme or reason of charging my 7, I just checked iBackupBot and it states 'full charge capacity' is @ 2000mah and the 'designed' capacity is 1950. so look at me I'm gaining battery cells lol

That's @ 125 cycles so far, it's a launch day 7.

Reactions: deano1972

metsjetsfan

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2011
Staying between 20-80% over the course of time of ownership seems an awful hassle. Talk about OCD behavior. I've always been in the plug it in over nite routine and have never had battery issues ever. Think I'll stick with what's been working for me. Interesting tho how people get so passionate about their phone batteries.
agree and the benefits of staying bw 20-80 are even less if you get a new phone every 12-18 months.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Everyone knows it's best to charge your phone whiles it's in the refrigerator.

golfnut1982

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2014
Chicago, IL
Keep charge cycles low, avoid deep charging to keep battery health high and elevate phone a little to keep it cool while charging. You should get two years or more and around 88-95% battery health with this advice. Worked for me on my families last three iPhones. I did the typical advice of letting the battery get below 10% and recharge, my wife just charged it when she felt like it and my daughter sometimes kept it plugged in all night. Guess who had the worst battery health...me. Never again. I use when I need it and top it off when I'm near a charger. I've also done this on my macbook pro of over three years. 99 charge cycles, 98-100% health. Happy camper.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.