iPhone 7 Camera Test Touts Excellent Exposure, Lower Noise, and Richer Colors

CarlJ

macrumors 68040
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
That's quite some definition of "only" you have there, MacRumours.
To be more clear, the iPhone 7 scored 86. Three phones scored 87 and three phones scored 88. Tied for third would be an accurate description. And it looks like they haven't tested the iPhone 7 Plus yet.

It's interesting to me to see how the iPhone's score has improved over the years. Going from scoring 50-out-of-100 to tied-for-third is pretty impressive.

From dxomark.com/Mobiles/Column-right/Mobile-Scores :

88: HTC 10, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Sony Xperia X Performance
87: Moto Z Force Droid, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Sony Xperia Z5

86: iPhone 7
84: iPhone 6s Plus
82: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6
76: iPhone 5S
72: iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
50: iPhone 4

jimbobb24

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
It's only sad if your photography is about specs and coveting.

If instead your photography is about making compelling photographs with the power to stir a viewer's mind and imagination, then it makes little to no difference.
I just take pics of my kids- so what should I do? Nobody's mind going to be stirred, my kids are no cuter than average and people don't need to imagine anything about them.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
It's only sad if your photography is about specs and coveting.

If instead your photography is about making compelling photographs with the power to stir a viewer's mind and imagination, then it makes little to no difference.
Pretentious drivel. Any 'stirring' photographs being made by professionals using DSLRs.

GoodWheaties

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
To be more clear, the iPhone 7 scored 86. Three phones scored 87 and three phones scored 88. Tied for third would be an accurate description. And it looks like they haven't tested the iPhone 7 Plus yet.

It's interesting to me to see how the iPhone's score has improved over the years. Going from scoring 50-out-of-100 to tied-for-third is pretty impressive.

From dxomark.com/Mobiles/Column-right/Mobile-Scores :

88: HTC 10, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge, Sony Xperia X Performance
87: Moto Z Force Droid, Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus, Sony Xperia Z5

86: iPhone 7
84: iPhone 6s Plus
82: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6
76: iPhone 5S
72: iPhone 5, iPhone 4S
50: iPhone 4
I didn't realize the jump from 4 to 4S was so large. And yet here is a photo from an iPhone 4. We have incredible devices now.

Attachments

Reactions: CarlJ

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
You know what really shocked me in that comparison is the MASSIVE jump from the 3G to the 3GS. I was given a 3G by my father who hated the service of AT&T in his area at the time and so I was like sweet, and passed on the 3GS, as I didn't think it was much of a change. Now in retrospect and seeing that difference in camera, I'm blown away and feel stupid. I should have used my upgrade and sold the 3G, HAHAHA.
I can remember people thinking the iPhone 4 had a much better camera, when in fact, it was the introduction of a Retina display that made pictures look better. My friend was shocked when I showed him my 3GS photo on his new iPhone 4. The 3GS pictures looked amazing on the 4.

Reactions: Ulisescm

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
I just take pics of my kids- so what should I do? Nobody's mind going to be stirred, my kids are no cuter than average and people don't need to imagine anything about them.
Well, it's up to you on how you want to go about your photography, and what level you want to take it to. In your case if you just want to make casual photos that's fine. If, however, you want to make photographs that are more expressive, you can do that as well. In either case what camera you use will make little difference.

citysnaps

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2011
San Francisco
Pretentious drivel. Any 'stirring' photographs being made by professionals using DSLRs.
With respect to photography, that's about the stupidest claim I've heard. Clearly you know little about photography (and its history), other than thinking it's about gear, and that outstanding photos are only made by "professionals." Neither are true.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Including *last years galaxy model* AND all the current flagship releases from Samsung, Sony, Motorola, and HTC. All of them. I thought my 7+ camera was pretty good, I definitely noticed more detail than my 6+. I gotta say I'm hoping for a stellar review with the dual lenses, but I'm concerned because of the sensor size.
I just got my 7+ as well. I don't like the size of it, so if they say there is absolutely no difference, I may consider switching down to the regular 7.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68030
May 31, 2015
Rio Grande Valley in South Texas
I'm not saying that the S7 does not have a fantastic camera, but there is no way it should have gotten an 86 for the flash score whereas the iPhone 7 only got an 81. The S7 doesn't even have a true-tone flash, and the iPhone 7 has four LEDs.

CPx

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
The comparison of the girl in front of the red wall is nonsense. If they had said it's an approximation of what the difference looks like, that would be ok. But the way they label it is meaningless. Without an explanation of exactly what they did with the files, we have no idea what DXO was intending on showing us. Did they desaturate the left image to simulate the difference in saturation between iPhone 6s and 7? Or did they do something else entirely? Did they intend to post an actual P3 image? If so, they failed as they did not embed any color profile whatsoever. What they've ended up with is completely meaningless and is a perfect example of how NOT to make a photo comparison with the new iPhones.

(https://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-7-camera-review-better-than-ever)

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Reactions: _Refurbished_

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
That's quite some definition of "only" you have there, MacRumours.
Mac rumours articles have been on full blown hyperbole mode since the iPhone 7 launch.

The amount of spin whoever writes these things has been a great sense of amusement.

iPhone camera is still one of the best I a smartphone, but the author seems completely unable to accept that Apple is now part of the pack instead of leading it

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Maybe we will finally get MacOS wallpaper that's not overexposed?

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
That's not a bad score from DxOMark, what a difference a handful of years make. Shows you how bad the iPhone 4's camera was to have scored 50 :D

Looking forward to see what they make of the 7 Plus. If history continues it should be a couple points above the standard 7 at least. Time will tell.
And yet I have taken some truly stunning photos with the iPhone 4 which rivalled my DSLR. That was because I knew the strengths and quirks of that camera and used them to my advantage.

I am so dubious of these sort of reviews as then end of the day it all comes down to the person taking the shot, how they take it and their opinion.

I think the best camera is the one you have on you and and your skill as a photographer.

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
And yet I have taken some truly stunning photos with the iPhone 4 which rivalled my DSLR. That was because I knew the strengths and quirks of that camera and used them to my advantage.

I am so dubious of these sort of reviews as then end of the day it all comes down to the person taking the shot, how they take it and their opinion.

I think the best camera is the one you have on you and and your skill as a photographer.
Couldn't agree more, I've said much the same thing many times myself. Reviews are very subjective and certainly play to the reviewers ability to use the thing in the first place. Some are more reliable than others.

I generally don't carry my camera and lenses unless I think I'll be using them, I hardly ever even bother with my point and shooter any more. But the iPhone is always in my pocket.

A persons ability to take a photo aside, I'll not complain about better resolution but more importantly better quality for when it comes to printing, particularly larger prints, for the camera I have with me 100% of the time.

If we didn't need, or want better quality, sensor and lens development would have stopped a long time ago.

hiddenmarkov

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2014
Japan

You are aware there are many accepted cases of superior work coming off non dslr, right. Mirrorless is in the house here of late, our staff shooter is a mirrorless devotee and his work is outstanding. And I know pro's who run film from time to time who nail shots that are amazing.

Google the famous picture known commonly as afghan girl. Save you the effort of looking up shot data. Shot on an FM2 with an AiS lens. Film body, AiS for those not up to speed on Nikon glass refers to nikkor's older manual focus glass which are based on decades old technology. they lack new features of the G (Nikon's newest series designation), or even D series advances. But those timeless lens' still put out great work today just as they did in 1984 (afghan girl date) and before that.

Proper framing and composure of a captivation subject...and you have the great start to great shot regardless of gear. I say this as a Zeiss owner. But I am not one of "those" Zeiss owners. I say this running a few of nikkors pro rated glass and bodies. But I am not one of "those" pro owners as well. there is an old adage in photography you seem to have forgotten, or never learned.

the best gear for the shot is the gear you have on hand. Accept this and move on. I am a prime lens fan boy (nice light kit, usually faster glass over zooms which lowest I have seen drop to 2.8). All I brought was the 35mm...well then I will work with that and make that shine as best as I can. Camera at home and just the phone...work that for all its worth as well.

xtrassie

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
Chicago, Illinois
Advantages of Dual Cam?
Dual camera improves the photos of the sensitivity and reduce image noise at the same time-ISO improvement.Dual cameras achieve better effect in backlight shoot,with higher intelligent HDR -WDR improvement and Pixel improvement.

The principle of dual camera is more like form 2D transit to 3D.
One lens is responsible for image color collection, and the other for brightness, contour, and detail of the ISP.
1476084517_8021.jpg
1476084579_9084.jpeg