iPhone 7 crappy for Ubering

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imhereareyou, May 17, 2017.

1. imhereareyou macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Not sure how many of you uber, but my 6 just broke and I went and got the 7 not thinking about the headphone jack not being there, my car has an aux cable so now I cant use my iphone and drive unless I want it to die. Has anyone else run into this prob? Fixes?
    Thanks

2. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

The 7 comes with a lightning to headphone jack adapter.

3. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

right, I know that but when that is connected I can't charge the phone, the app with the gps and pandora uses the battery fairly quick, even with the screen dimmed. It's just quite annoying. lol

4. jrs22 macrumors 6502

5. mk313 macrumors 6502

welkin or one of the other accessory makers has a lightning splitter that you can buy to allow you to charge and use headphones/ aux cables at the same time.

6. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

My buddy suggested that but I think that would be unprofessional.

So this is a stock radio so I just recently had something like this hard wired to it, so I flip a switch and tune to 88.3 or some channel and it works great, no static ever. So I don't think I can do this one too.
    --- Post Merged, May 17, 2017 ---
    I have searched but I will look under welkin, this is exactly what I need.

7. mk313 macrumors 6502

Sorry, that was supposed to say Belkin, not sure why auto-correct keeps changing it. Anyways, I looked it up & the cable is called the Belkin Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar.

8. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

All the reviews say after the ios10 it doesnt work. This sucks. Thanks for looking tho

9. C DM macrumors Westmere

It couldn't really work before iOS 10 as that is when Lightning support for audio and headphone controls was introduced--that is to say that it works with iOS 10 (I use it quite frequently).

10. CYKBC macrumors 6502

11. jrs22 macrumors 6502

I'm always a passenger and never a driver, but I'm actually unhappy with drivers that use headphones or earbuds because I assume that theyre more distracting than a freestanding speaker. But I haven't used uber or lyft yet because I just bought an iphone yesterday so i may be off base about the private ride services.

12. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My wife got me this for my birthday last year for my 2007 Chevy Cobalt (has AUX jack).

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundS...77038&sr=8-1&keywords=anker+bluetooth+aux+car

Works perfectly. Can make/take calls, listen to music, etc... Just make sure you have 2 USB charger ports. Also, if your car is like mine, the cigarette lighter stays on 30 mins after car shuts off so I have to make sure to unplug this or my phone is always connected to it at home.

13. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

I agree, I am not using it for my ear, I want the cord so I can plug into my aux for my stereo so I can play Pandora for the passengers. But I can't keep the phone charged and have pandora playing for people at the same time.
    --- Post Merged, May 18, 2017 ---
    I don't think it will work with my system since I had one hardwired in with a switch that I have to turn on and then tune to 88.3 so I can't have both running.

14. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

15. Mr_Brightside_@ macrumors 68020

Mr_Brightside_@

16. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

But on amazon the reviews say it stopped working after the latest update...

17. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Can you return the 7 and get the 6S instead, thereby resolving the limitation ?

18. posguy99 macrumors 6502a

Unrelated datapoint... I'd almost guarantee you that such use of Pandora is against the EULA, if you're a subscriber. I don't know what they could do if you're not.

19. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

nope cant...

Nope, they have a deal with uber, so when an uber passenger with pandora gets in it will play their music thru my stereo...
    IMG_0444.PNG IMG_0445.PNG

https://www.uber.com/drive/music/

20. macTW macrumors 65816

I've seen a dozen devices that work well for under $15 that allow lightning and 3.5mm auxiliary outlets.

21. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

This. I don't see the problem. Just get an adapter. There are a few to choose from. It really is not anywhere near of an issue as you're making it out to be.

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

The potential downside with most of those is that they typically don't allow call audio to pass through, and don't support headphone controls or microphone.

23. UL2RA macrumors 6502a

UL2RA

I do call audio through bluetooth.

That's not the downside of the adapter, that's a downside of headphone jacks in general when used in the car.

24. imhereareyou thread starter macrumors regular

imhereareyou

Well all the amazon reviews for every one I have searched they say the same... This is from the Belkin:

"Kept getting error message on Iphone 7 that the Iphone could not recognize this adaptor. Returning."

"This worked perfectly until the latest iOS update (10.3.1) now the audio component does not work, and my phone says it does not support this accessory. I'm not sure if this is an Apple issue or an issue with this product's compatibility with the software update."

And tons more...