iPhone 7 feels a bit cheap compared to 6s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jm31828, Sep 22, 2016.

1. jm31828 macrumors member

First off I have to say I really like my iPhone 7, I plan to keep it. But one thing bugs me a bit- it feels a little cheaply built compared to my 6s. The 6s was a bit heavier, felt very solid, made no creaks or pops at all when pressing on any parts of it. It felt like a heavy duty item.

My 7 just feels slightly cheap- it is noticeably lighter, and I can hear slight pop sounds if I am holding the top and bottom and squeeze. Anybody else feel this way?

And on that note, how did they manage to make the 7 lighter- cheaper build, thinner aluminum?

Minor in the grand scheme of things, it is a great phone and I'm happy with it- I just felt slightly disappointed when it feels cheaper for the same very high price.

2. UAV macrumors regular

im glad i wasn't the only one who noticed it. but your right it does feel a bit less of a quality phone when compaired to the 6 or 6s.

3. Ceviche Lover macrumors regular

Agreed, my Jet Black 7 felt someone plasticky, almost like an IP5c.

4. BruceButtcheeks macrumors member

BruceButtcheeks

5. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

6. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I love the way my 7+ feels compared to my 6s+

7. fs454 macrumors 68000

Yeah, I really felt like the 6S+ feels cheap going back from my 7+. Not sure what this is about, but the phone feels very well made and solid.

8. gimmmick macrumors member

gimmmick

9. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Opposite for me. My first iPhone 6 had creaking/Popping issues with the screen and had to be replaced. My 6s Plus was perfect. My iPhone 7 has been flawless as well. Still waiting for my iPhone 7 Plus.

10. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

There is a true premium feel to my 256 matte +.

11. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

Man OP, you left out one important detail. Are you complaining about the Jet Black or just in general. Because my matte Black Plus feels like a tank. But then again it sounds like you have the regular 7. I actually wish that this phone was lighter but I also have a decent case on for protection.

12. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

^^^^THIS^^^^

My7+ feels great. The new home button was icing on the cake.

13. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Yeah definitely not cheap. My Matte Black 256 gb feels excellent. Albeit I put it in a case right away so that negates that. But when I pulled my 6s plus out of it's case today to trade it in it does also feel nice.

Funny after having the phones for so long but in a case you forget what it actually feels like lol.

14. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

add a 4 gram sticker to the back of your phone if you want that huge weight difference back

15. Leo90 macrumors 6502

What colour do you have? I am asking this because I have a matte black one and it feels really premium, it has a really nice touch when compared to silver or gold backplates.

16. jm31828 thread starter macrumors member

I have the gold.

It's minor, but my 6s felt like a tank and this one feels slightly flimsy. The popping of the screen is really minor, only happen when I try to make it happen- but the 6s was silent no matter what twisting I did to it as a test.

17. tifa_mo macrumors regular

tifa_mo

how can that be though. They are almost identical in terms of everything on the outside - design, materials made, build technology. I do agree that jet black looks and feels hella plasticky though. Saw one in store, and me and my friend immediately decided to go with MB whenever stock became available.

18. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

So is it true the 7 build feels or seems inferior to the 6s? I ask because the build quality and feel of our 6s, and 6s+, is fantastic. The 6s feels solid and put together well. We've had flawless operation and zero issues with the 6s, and it's the best iPhone we've owned to date.

Is this not the case for the 7, or 7+?

19. Setarip macrumors member

The 6s was the heavier phone between the 6,6s, and 7. The iPhone 6 is the lightest of them all and never felt cheap to me. My 7+ feels solid and built extremely well.

20. burgman macrumors 65816

burgman

Ah, maybe go to a store and decide for yourself.

21. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

My matte black 7 feels great. I love that it is slightly lighter.

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nope, my matte iPhone 7 feels solid and perfect.

23. Stereo macrumors member

They all feel like crap, so I put a leather case on mine and now it feels premium. At least on the 7 the rear camera looks good, where as on the 6-6s looks like ass.

24. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I feel that it's better built than my 6+ was.

25. ISFPOWER macrumors newbie

agreed. feels solid!