iPhone 7+ getting too hot?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chadx85, Sep 16, 2016.

1. chadx85 macrumors newbie

My matte black 7+ 128g arrived about an hour ago. Using it for only about 10 mins it feels like I have my hands around a cup of hot coffee. (This is with and without a case) What's going on here? My 6+ never got warm or hot at all. Please tell me something isn't wrong with my phone...

2. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Doesn't sound good. Do you smell anything burning?

3. zosimus macrumors newbie

4. CKtoph macrumors 6502

Mine got pretty warm when I first started it up and restored. It's been fine since.

7+MB 126GB

5. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

The only time my 6S would get hot would be during a restore

6. bcroft686 macrumors member

bcroft686

I was restoring mine, syncing my watch, and downloading all of my Google Photos....while charging. Yes it got hot, but once complete it's been normal.

7. Leewalker19 macrumors regular

The components are brand new. Give it some more time. I know my iphone 6 gets warm when I'm on it for an extended period of time. Especially with games. It's definitely more tech inside that phone so it can be a lot of factors giving off additional heat.

8. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

DADDYDC650

I'm pretty sure Samsung has sabotaged the batteries in the iPhone 7. Phone will explode soon enough.

9. DMVillain, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2016

DMVillain macrumors 6502a

My 6s Plus was always hot and that's part of the reason I went with the 7 this time. But honestly, it's probably from the restore.

10. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

11. midkay macrumors regular

Likely due to new device setup. Indexing and restoring is a lengthy, intensive process. If you had any photos restored the Memories and People features could be scanning them too.

12. chadx85 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, I think you're right. It's normal now.

13. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502a

SisterBlue22

Same...mine always get super hot the first day during the restore, and then it goes back to normal. My 7+ did it this morning too, and it's still a little warmer than usual, but I expect it will be fine by tonight.

14. bhall110 macrumors regular

My 7 was also very warm during the restore. I feel like with each upgrade my phone gets warmer.

15. qtrim macrumors regular

qtrim

Just checked my new 7 with an infrared thermometer, it's 105F in a 75F environment.

16. Kirbyjackson macrumors newbie

Kirbyjackson

I thought the same thing when I first got mine and I was backing up and doing the update. Ever since its been fine.

17. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

18. Bubble99 macrumors 6502

This is not good at all.

Unless the guy is playing games or watching video the phone should not get hot.

It sounds like it is overheating. Not good at all. If many people are reporting this than this could be some new problem these phones are having.

19. Gzalito macrumors regular

Played that game from the keynote today on an apple store for 3 mins on an 7+, noted the same. Strangely hot.

20. midkay macrumors regular

One shouldn't worry much about this. Apple stress-tests their CPUs incredibly well, at 100% multi-core load for probably weeks at a time. The thing is, electronics get warm. You're just feeling a bit of heat loss, which - at least on Earth in our current technological climate - is to be expected from a device carrying out 2.3 billion operations per second, times two, flawlessly in the palm of your hand. The nice thing is, Apple engineers, like all good engineers, work hard to ensure that 'unsafe' limits of temperature or power draw are never come close to in reasonable circumstances (from what I've seen most true CPU temperature limits are >=2x the normal operating temperatures), and fully prevented in unreasonable ones (the iPhone will shut itself off if it ever even comes close to getting 'too hot').

Smaller manufacturing processes are leading to, besides improved speed and efficiency, lower temperatures & heat loss as well. So this problem should, over the years, slowly shrink away. However, with the ridiculous clock speed bump of these new phones it makes sense the heat output might actually have jumped as well this generation. But holy **** I cannot wait to try them out because them speed gains should be crazy.

21. Ishbar macrumors newbie

Heat is 100% normal. The phone can get upwards of 110F before even coming close to reporting thermal warnings.

If your phone isn't getting hot and shutting down, or throwing a dialogue about heat, then it's fine.

Even if it does throw a dialogue, it could be due to normal circumstances--charging while in direct sunlight / using the GPS / etc.

People overreact to hot technology these days, expecting everything to run at ambient temperatures all the time.

22. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

About 2,300,000 cycles @ 64bits per second generates a little heat, of course.

Try an infrared thermometer to temp the area where the A10 is seated from the backside.

23. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

What the hell 126 GB :eek:

24. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

My phone was worryingly hot yesterday and this morning but it was STILL downloading all my music in the background and stuff as I did other tasks. Once that all finished up, my phone is at a normal feel and no more heat. iOS in general became really bogged down for me because of all that restoring/downloading going on so just be patient with it for whoever is reading this with a new phone!

25. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not a bug, it's a feature -- HandWamer. You'll appreciate this winter. :D