Iphone 7 leather case wear and tear

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Strydertortois, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Strydertortois macrumors newbie

IMG_0611.JPG IMG_0612.JPG

So ive had my iphone 7 leather midnight blue case for about 2 months and i got this deep scratch that for some reason shows up brown in sunlight, is there any explanation for this? And do you think it will darken over time just like the rest of the case and eventually blend in?

2. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

Well, keep in mind that the leather itself is actually brown underneath the blue dye. My guess is that the scratch you mentioned either went down past the dye layer, or thinned the dye to a point where the untreated leather shows through. Hard to say what will happen in the future, but I would guess that the brown you see will get darker as you handle the case.

3. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

It looks to me like a stain or burn. Do you smoke if so, looks like a spark or something landed on it.

And umm No

4. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I would bring it to the Apple Store and ask for a replacement. They even let me exchange a Product Red leather case for a black because I didn't like the 'patina' look. It's worth a try.

5. Strydertortois thread starter macrumors newbie

No i dont smoke, it was just a scratch that i made with my fingernail when i was picking it up, i just thought it was weird that their was brown under it cuz i would think they would dye all the leather not just the outside

6. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

The leather is dyed all the way through. So it very weird a fingernail scratch would change the color. I've gotten plenty of scratched Shallow and deep on mine and never had a discoloration. They will usually blend in.

7. Strydertortois thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive only had mine for around 20 days, do you think they would still replace it? And did you have to show a recipt to get it replaced?
    --- Post Merged, Jul 19, 2017 ---
    Yeah i was thinking the same thing, ive only had mine for around 20 days so i wonder if apple would replace it, if so im probably going to get the black one because it doesnt show wear as much

8. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I had mine way longer than 20 days. No receipt needed.

9. Strydertortois thread starter macrumors newbie

Sweet im gonna go tommorow hopefully i can get it swapped

10. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Good luck. They may use the words 'one-time exception,' but I've had at least 3 one-time exceptions.
    Bring the box and receipt if you have them. It makes the trade a lot easier. I've done exchanges with and without. With is always better.

11. Strydertortois thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i got my iphone 7 replaced fairly easily because it got stuck in a boot loop, so it shouldnt be to hard, i think apple sent the recipt to the wrong email which sucks but i have the box, so hopefully i can get it replaced, do you still have your black leather case? If so has it held up well? Cuz im trying to decide on a color

12. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

I still have the black case. It's held up pretty well.

13. Strydertortois thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it replaced and got the black one, i like it alot apple has great costumer service

14. williamh macrumors regular

Anyone has the tan leather case? How's the wear of this light leather color?

15. kotikcatroz macrumors newbie

kotikcatroz

I have to say that the case itself (not the stain) looks really nice on the device