iPhone 7 Matte Black: is it really that slippery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by decafjava, Sep 20, 2016.

1. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

Curious to hear from those who got the Matte Black iPhone 7 as everyone is saying how nice the grip on the JB version is. I may take the plunge and get the plus this time and I would like to see if I can avoid getting a case for it as it may add too much bulk.

2. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

I love it but it's like a bar of soap! Haha

3. DJLAXL macrumors 6502

DJLAXL

It is. I've almost dropped it a few times and I have big meaty claws...I put an Invisible Shield on the front and back and it feels much better. No case for me this time.

4. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

The jet black is definitely much...stickier (in a good way). In the summer, its difficult to assess the slipperiness, but when the hands are dry, the matte black (and other "matte" colors) are definitely slicker. If you use a case, it doesn't matter. I loathe cases, so I'm tempted by the jet black despite the scratches; I have the matte black now but have a jet black through IUP reserved for next week and have a feeling the grippiness will win out

If you have a store with both on display nearby, check them out in person; it's hard to know exactly what people are talking about in describing them as "grippy"

5. daydayvol macrumors regular

I haven't had any issues with it. I love the look of it, so glad I went with it over jet black.

6. Elyphant macrumors regular

Elyphant

I held my friends and almost dropped it LOL it felt like i was holding a new born baby xD

7. walds11 macrumors 6502a

Good to know. I plan on getting the Zagg Invisible Shield HD for the front and regular Invisible Shield for the back.

8. nordique macrumors 6502a

9. decafjava thread starter macrumors 68000

decafjava

Thanks all, those of you who use invisible shield, I didn't know it can be used on the back as well? I looked on their site and only see screen protectors for sale.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Feels just like my space gray 6s plus. I used that case less for a couple months and didn't have any issues with it slipping out of my hand.

11. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

It really is incredibly slick. I do think the JB looks plastic (not in a bad way), but if you use your phone naked it is probably the better choice from a potential drop standpoint.

12. TrueBlou, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well as it's largely unchanged (actually canni change that to refined, I still like the design) from the previous 2 years, yes, it's definitely more slippery than any other iPhone they have ever made particularly in the Plus sizes.
    It's the only real nit pick I've ever had with this design, they have concentrated on making it feel better in the hand and it does. But rounded edges on anything are only naturally going to glide across a surface easier. You get used to it of course, not enough grip and it will slide out of your hand, too much grip and it's like holding a wet bar of soap. Like anything I suppose it's just adapting to it.

I kept my 6+ in a case for this exact reason, which just makes it bulkier and defeats the purpose of having nice design in the first place. So this time round to hell with it, if it falls it falls, it'll add character :D

13. Zenton macrumors member

I do not find it particularly slippery. That being said, my brother immediately said that he thought it was very slippery.

I've never used cases or skins and never had issues with iPhones being slippery. Just enjoy the phone as it is. If you drop it and it breaks use AppleCare or insurance.

14. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

Not really, you have to be a bit of a clumsy buffoon to be having it slip out of your hand like a bar of soap.

15. walds11 macrumors 6502a

It can be used on the back as well, just the regular version. It's not on the website, yet. I know that my local Zagg mall kiosk has it in stock.

16. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Just because JB is more grippy doesn't mean the matte Black is more slippery than other matte colors. I've rocked my 6 and 6s naked just fine.

17. ATEspo macrumors regular

ATEspo

I don't have mine yet, but I do plan to put a skin on it for a little extra grip.
    I did that with my 6+ up until I started using cases.

BestSkinsEver front/back clear skins have some pretty good grip, been using them for almost every iPhone i've had.

18. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I don't find my Black 7+ slippery, but I am also 6'6 and have rather large hands, so maybe it's easier due to that. Feels no more or less slippery than the 6S that is also sitting on my desk.

19. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

20. pojo1806 macrumors 68000

My black 7 is no more or less slippery than my GFs rose gold 6S.

21. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nah. Feels the same if not less slippy than my iPhone 6 did.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Yep, finally got mine delivered, I am used to a beefy case so I have to get used to babying it. Good news is that my old Tech21 case will fit with no problem.

24. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Feels like the Space Gray to me.

25. Benito macrumors 6502

Benito

I've immediately put my iPhone 7 in a case and will do the same with the 7 Plus. I found the iPhone 6 to be slippery and there isn't anything different about the 7 to make it less slippery if you have the matte black.