Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past six months there have been reports indicating that the iPhone 7 would include several new features, like a flush rear camera and stereo speakers. Tonight, Mac Otakara has issued a new report corroborating several of those rumors, including that the iPhone 7 could include a thinner Lightning port, no 3.5mm headphone jack and more.

iphone_7_render_mr.jpg

The site reports that the new phone will not have antenna bands across the rear and will have a flush rear camera, corroborating a MacRumors report in early February. The site notes that it's likely the iPhone 7 will also come with stereo speakers, which was first predicted by Barclays analyst earlier this month.

Last September, KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo issued a report that the iPhone 7 would approach a thinness similar to that of the 6.1mm iPod touch. Mac Otakara's report roughly agrees with that, noting that the iPhone 7 could be 1mm thinner than the 7.1mm iPhone 6s.

Mac Otakara also reiterated its earlier reports that the iPhone 7 would not include a headphone jack, instead using an all-in-one Lightning port. The site claims that the Lightning port enclosure may be thinner than it currently is, but that it will still be fully compatible with current Lightning cables.

A source on Chinese social media site Weibo claimed that the iPhone 7 would be waterproofed and use new composite materials for its shell last September. However, Mac Otakara says the iPhone 7 will include neither, instead using the same aluminum material and will be as water resistant as the iPhone 6s.

Thus far, reports have indicated that a rumored new dual-lens camera system would be included on the iPhone 7 Plus to differentiate it from the regular iPhone 7. Mac Otakara corroborates that the iPhone 7 will not have a dual-lens camera system, but notes that it doesn't know if the feature will be included in the 7 Plus. Earlier today it was reported that Apple is considering introducing a new high-end iPhone 7 Plus with a dual-lens camera system called the iPhone Pro to better differentiate it from the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus.

Apple is expected to announce both the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus at an event in September. Unlike the iPhone 6s and 6s Plus, which sourced A9 chips from both Samsung and TSMC, Apple will turn to TSMC exclusively for the iPhone 7's A10 chip. Apple is also expected to announce the iPhone SE, a new 4-inch iPhone, this March alongside a new 9.7-inch iPad.

Article Link: iPhone 7 May Feature Flush Camera, Stereo Speakers and Thinner Lightning Port

Di4mondz

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2012
Flush Camera? HELL YEAH!
Stereo Speakers? HELL YEAH!
New Lightning port? What the hell? No!

You don't need a new cable, surprisingly! ;)

9to5Mac said:
Finally, in yet another effort to keep the thickness of the device down, the iPhone 7 may feature a thinner Lightning port than previous devices. It’s important to note, however, that this does not mean the device will require a new cable or connector, rather only that actual cutout is smaller. This should only really affect case makers.

Last edited:

mafo

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2016
There is no way Apple would change the lightning port this soon. I would be VERY surprised if they did so.

Edit: Misread the article. It states: "However, the site claims that the Lightning connector may be thinner than normal, though the Lightning port itself isn't changing."

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Canning the 3.5mm jack AND reworking the Lightning port means apple will have to seriously wow me to get me to upgrade this year.

Not only will that require adapters or new headphones for 1-3 devices, it will require me to purchase anywhere from 2-6 additional charging cables.

Again, the next phone would have to bring something to the table that I don't think I can even imagine yet.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
It is already compact in size. I guess they could create a new port but I highly doubt it would happen anytime soon.
I'm just saying, Apple is known for doing sporadic crap. I wouldn't hold it past them. I haven't been this eager to see a new iPhone in a while though.

MacTouch786

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Another port change? Apple sure know how to piss off their loyal customers!

more adapters.

Canning the 3.5mm jack AND reworking the Lightning port means apple will have to seriously wow me to get me to upgrade this year.

Not only will that require adapters or new headphones for 1-3 devices, it will require me to purchase anywhere from 2-6 additional charging cables.

Again, the next phone would have to bring something to the table that I don't think I can even imagine yet.

The same cables will still work. There's a cutout around the current Lightning port and that cutout will shrink.

Soccertess

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
Flush camera.. I honestly thought that the protruding lens was for future accessories (that never came)

When it first came out I keep saying.. well if they come out with magnetic adapters that slip around the ring, won't you be glad you have it sticking out!

Looks I was wrong!

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Flush camera.. I honestly thought that the protruding lens was for future accessories (that never came)

When it first came out I keep saying.. well if they come out with magnetic adapters that slip around the ring, won't you be glad you have it sticking out!

Looks I was wrong!

nope.. it's always been because of apple's obsession with thinness. form over function. they could've added a bigger battery instead, and that would've made the camera lens flush. looks like they still haven't learned if the rumor of the 7 being even thinner is true..

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
So if thats the new stuff for the iphone 7.IF we get a new lighting port and no audio in/out (I doubt they will change both of that in the same update). But if all that is true, Im gonna skip updating this year. That and the rumored event this march with absolutely nothing interesting to present, this doesnt sound like another amazing apple year.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015

This is how I feel about smart phones these days...battle to the death.
EDITED: Not just that...it's a battle to the death upon consumers' wallet....FIGHT!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.