iPhone 7 May Use New Packaging Technology for Antenna Switching Module to Save Space

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 31, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Rumors have suggested the iPhone 7 will be thinner and lighter than the iPhone 6s, and a new report from Korean site ETNews shares some technical details on the methods Apple may use to save space internally and shave off precious fractions of a millimeter from the device's size.

Apple is said to be planning to use a new fan-out packaging technology for the antenna switching module and radio frequency chip in the iPhone 7, which is a feature that allows the iPhone to switch between LTE and other antennas like GSM and CDMA. Fan-out packaging technology allows for a greater number of I/O terminals while cutting down on chip size.

[​IMG]
    A mockup of what the iPhone 7 might look like
    Using this packaging method, along with single-chip EMI shields, Apple will be able to fit more components into a single package while minimizing signal loss and also cutting down on the potential for interference in wireless communication. The radio frequency chip built into the antenna switching module is said to include two chips in one package rather than two chips built into a printed circuit board to save space.

Apple's iPhone 7 is expected to launch in the fall of 2016. Rumors about the device suggest it will look similar to the iPhone 6s, but with redesigned antenna bands and a somewhat thinner chassis. Along with the chip packaging techniques shared today, Apple is rumored to be cutting down on the size of the device through the removal of the headphone jack and the slimming of the Lightning port.

Article Link: iPhone 7 May Use New Packaging Technology for Antenna Switching Module to Save Space

2. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

Thinner and lighter instead of improving battery life. Classic.

3. cmichaelb macrumors 68020

cmichaelb

Yet where is this creativity when it comes to battery tech?

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Atleast the inside is going to look different...

5. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I wonder if this is what enables them to change the external antenna window design? Would be pretty funny if their antenna design change led to another antennagate. I don't think it will, but it would be pretty funny. I think they're much better at testing things like that than they used to be.

6. Erphern macrumors 6502

Could it not be thicker, less bendy, and with better battery life? I mean, wouldn't that be... better?

7. einsteinbqat macrumors regular

einsteinbqat

Gosh! Enough with the thinning of the device, already. The device is thin enough already. Improve the battery for goodness sake. Shaving off fractions of millimetres... rubbish!

8. ConnorMcJeebus macrumors regular

ConnorMcJeebus

The relative lack of Mac rumors compared to iPhone, iPad and :apple:watch rumors is worrisome. This site may need to be renamed.

9. Mac 128 macrumors 603

Mac 128

Not necessarily. The "bendy" criticism could be addressed by materials and engineering. The battery criticism is really a compromise no matter how you look at it. The question is how much thicker and heavier would they have to make it to achieve any significant battery improvement? If the performance would only gain 30 minutes to an hour, I'm not sure the trade-off would be worth it for everyone.

Apple seems to have decided, based on essentially consistent performance with slight improvements year after year that the current battery life is acceptable for most people, and for those on the fringes who need more have various battery enhancing options available to them.

10. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

But all those rumours are for the iPhone 7s

11. redheeler macrumors 604

redheeler

Since day one with my 6s+, I've wished it could be fractions of a millimeter thinner. Finally, I can be reassured it will be a reality.

/s

12. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Outside of the MB, nothing has really happened with Macs. It's unfortunate, but whatayagonnado?

13. Thunderhawks Suspended

No, the endgame is that we have the screen surgically embedded into our forearm. Our body is the antenna and the electricity we create within out bodies does the rest.

BTW: Contract free, but the surgery is $ 799.00 designed by Apple, performed in China, which by then has 4 million iPhone surgeons.

Still 16GB.

.....and don't say there wouldn't be enough kooks to try this.

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

Sounds like they spent plenty of time figuring out how to make it thinner but couldn't figure out a way to make the bezel on the top smaller, great..

15. macintologist macrumors 6502

The technology sounds great but I'd be afraid of a lot of Rev A issues. I'd get the 7S.

16. detayls macrumors member

For goodness sake. We need better battery life and not thinner phones! How hard is that to understand?

17. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

This is by far the thinnest phone I've used. Enough with the thinness and give me more tech options. The wireless charger for the GS7 is actually kind of nice. Not for everyone, but it'd be nicer than that silly dock.

How about an extended battery case for the Plus model?

I don't know . . . I don't get paid to do this, but I do know that it's pretty darn thin already. Improve battery life, and find other places to innovate.

18. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

Why even call it the iPhone 7?
    Should be iPhone 6SS.
    The antenna lines are different, yawn...
    Can't they come up with something new, design-wise?

19. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

This is more reason for me to get an iPhone SE. I don't want it thinner. I go caseless and my 6+ is already super slippery.

20. AppleWarMachine macrumors 65816

AppleWarMachine

Yep, it looks like an iPhone, when are they going to change the name to :apple: Phone?

21. DudeDad macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

Where does is say that battery life will not be improved? You may be making an assumption....

22. samcraig macrumors P6

Don't really care about fractions of a MM in reduced thinness. Phones are already thin enough. And we all know Apple wouldn't use any extra space created for more battery capacity...

23. DudeDad macrumors 6502a

DudeDad

[QUOTE="Digital Skunk, post: 22746554, member: 93160" The wireless charger for the GS7 is actually kind of nice. Not for everyone, but it'd be nicer than that silly dock.[/QUOTE]

I have my 6 in a dock at work...it stands upright, and allows me to see and use it while it's charging. If it's laying flat to charge, it's basically useless during charging. I think "wireless" charging is kind of cool, but overrated. Besides, it's not really wireless. If it could charge at a certain distance from the thing plugged into the wall, we'd have something there...

24. ike1707 macrumors 6502

ike1707

Eventually they'll be so thin they'll need to include a suction cup in the box to pick the damn things up

25. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

Hahaha I LOVE the fume every article about the iPhone being thinner creates. Personally I want it as thin as possible, I love being awkward, and I love how angry people get over the thought of a thinner phone :cool: