Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headcase

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Raleigh, NC
What's interesting to me is that the way Apple set up this Preorder system, they are blocking an entire group of potential customers. Anyone without an existing carrier (doesn't have a cell phone, or doesn't have their own cell phone - leaving a parent's plan etc) as well as anyone who is PLANNING to switch from AT&T or T-Mobile in the near future, is basically prevented from preordering since they won't be able to enter account information.

This is an artificial restriction, especially for the FULLY PAID iPhone. Pay full price for an unlocked device, you should get to pick the exact model and not have to enter anything about any carrier or even a phone number.

Exactly. +1

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Exactly. +1

I agree too, but I think it's probably an agreement they have with Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint. I'm not sure when they implemented it, but I remember it was like this when ordering the iPhone 5S. I remember you could open a new AT&T account at the Apple Store online when ordering the iPhone 4.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
It's usually the T-mobile model that is Unlocked and works with international carriers.

It comes with a T-mobile SIM but you can just throw it away.

My iPhone 6s T-mobile works fine in Lebanon with a local SIM.

My Verizon 6s Plus also works in Lebanon with a local sim (alfa). As I bonus I also get 4G LTE coverage in some areas in Lebanon.

mackcat

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2011
Well, I emailed Tim Cook. Here's to hoping for an answer as to how someone in the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program can ensure they get a CDMA variant on launch day when they go to pickup their reservation, despite having a T-Mobile account. :confused:

Also, just an FYI... when I went through the reservation process via the website I was able to choose any carrier I wanted; I chose Verizon. :cool:

Hopefully he responds. Also, I'm curious, what carrier in Brazil makes use of CDMA? I thought it was all GSM down there.

jhersco

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
I ordered a 7 plus through the iPhone upgrade program, and am a current AT&T customer. I contacted support and (after many hours) I was able to speak with someone, who went into my order and confirmed that I would be receiving Model A1660/A1661, which is the model that works with both GSM and CDMA networks, rather than the GSM only model.

How did you do this? Did someone edit your order? When I asked to get this model, I was told that orders can't be changed only cancelled and reordered. Was it just a stroke of luck for you to get a Verizon/Sprint phone allocated to an AT&T order?

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Hopefully he responds. Also, I'm curious, what carrier in Brazil makes use of CDMA? I thought it was all GSM down there.

To be honest, now that I look into it further I think you're correct. Back in the day Brazil use to have lots of CDMA, but it seems they've converted very quickly to GSM. I still think it's utter rubbish that one phone doesn't support both standards much like my current 6s does and would prefer the Verizon variant. :D

Reactions: mackcat

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii
How did you do this? Did someone edit your order? When I asked to get this model, I was told that orders can't be changed only cancelled and reordered. Was it just a stroke of luck for you to get a Verizon/Sprint phone allocated to an AT&T order?
I used the Apple Store app on my iPhone. I selected Verizon even though I am an AT&T customer. I was not asked for any account information. I got a black 256g 7+. I hope there are no problems activating it.

packman2006

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2016

I didn't do anything. I just contacted them to try to figure out what I was receiving and if there was anything that could be done. They looked at my order and told me I was already receiving the GSM/CDMA version.

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
I didn't do anything. I just contacted them to try to figure out what I was receiving and if there was anything that could be done. They looked at my order and told me I was already receiving the GSM/CDMA version.
Who did you end up speaking to that was able to you it was a GSM/CDMA version? A specific CS rep? A manager?
TIA

AVS0S

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2016
behind you
I used the Apple Store app on my iPhone. I selected Verizon even though I am an AT&T customer. I was not asked for any account information. I got a black 256g 7+. I hope there are no problems activating it.
Weird. On my iPad, it asks for Verizon account details.

gregnauman

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010

This makes no sense, every time I tried to do that it always came to a section with verizon logo and asked for phone number, zip code and SS number. When I entered the data it would say you are not a verizon customer.

I could not order a Verizon iPhone with an AT&T phone number

jhersco

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
This makes no sense, every time I tried to do that it always came to a section with verizon logo and asked for phone number, zip code and SS number. When I entered the data it would say you are not a verizon customer.

I had the same experience. I got an error message when I tried to buy a Verizon version with my AT&T phone number. Today, an Apple Store CS rep confirmed that is the normal situation. I'm quite surprised to learn that this didn't happen to at least one individual.

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
...on launch day, you can get in line and then ask for a Verizon model "device only" and you won't be asked for any account information.

Apple has in the past made available a "SIM-free" SKU of their iPhones, usually a few weeks or 1-2 months after the launch date, and IIRC (?) available to purchase outright both online and at the Apple Store.

To clarify, is this different than what you and others say about buying the "device-only" SKU at the Apple Store? You're saying the "device-only" is actually just the Verizon model (with VZW SIM) but purchased without service, and is available at launch without waiting 1-2 months?

jhersco

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2008
Apple has in the past made available a "SIM-free" SKU of their iPhones, usually a few weeks or 1-2 months after the launch date, and IIRC (?) available to purchase outright both online and at the Apple Store.

To clarify, is this different than what you and others say about buying the "device-only" SKU at the Apple Store? You're saying the "device-only" is actually just the Verizon model (with VZW SIM) but purchased without service, and is available at launch without waiting 1-2 months?

For what it's worth, I was told today by a reliable source at Apple that a SIM-free version of the iPhone 7/7Plus is not planned for release anytime soon, if at all.

This person said that the only way to get a Verizon phone at an Apple Store would be to have or set up a Verizon account.

While some posts in this thread suggest that there have been exceptions, it appears that most of us AT&T users are not going to be able to get a Verizon iPhone.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I'm not sure why this is an issue. If CDMA is an issue, just buy a Verizon version. It is unlocked out of the box.
Am I missing something here?

When the iPhone 5 was launched, I went to the Apple store, asked for a Verizon iPhone, told them it's for a gift, paid in full, and off I went. No account no nothing.

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
What's interesting to me is that the way Apple set up this Preorder system, they are blocking an entire group of potential customers. Anyone without an existing carrier (doesn't have a cell phone, or doesn't have their own cell phone - leaving a parent's plan etc) as well as anyone who is PLANNING to switch from AT&T or T-Mobile in the near future, is basically prevented from preordering since they won't be able to enter account information.

...I remember it was like this when ordering the iPhone 5S. I remember you could open a new AT&T account at the Apple Store online when ordering the iPhone 4.

Yeah, when I checked Apple's online ordering process, they don't seem to offer a way to open a new carrier account on the spot. You must enter an existing account.

That means people wanting to switch carrier or open a new account, must buy their iPhone from that carrier instead of from Apple?

So at launch Apple has multiple restrictions. They won't sell the phone without service whatsoever, and they're also not (directly) selling the phone to those signing up for new service.

Jbaffoh

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2010
Hawaii

I forgot to mention I was an existing Apple Upgrade customer. When ordering, I selected an upgrade to my existing phone. It knew the serial number, ATT phone number, etc. Even though I selected Verizon, it never asked for any Verizon account information. My reservation info says I'm getting a Verizon phone.

beq

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2011
Head into a VZW store on Day One and buy a VZW iPhone. That's what I've done for years now.

They let you buy one outright without service? Even if you're not a VZW customer? That doesn't seem likely to me.

Would like to know too!

If VZW does require service to sell the iPhone 7 outright, what's the cheapest amount we can pay before cancelling? For example, sign up for the lowest VZW post-paid plan for just 1 month, or buy the cheapest VZW prepaid bucket...

campyguy

macrumors 68040
Mar 21, 2014
Is that with you successfully buying a "device only" iPhone at the VZW store?

They let you buy one outright without service? Even if you're not a VZW customer? That doesn't seem likely to me.

Would like to know too!

If VZW does require service to sell the iPhone 7 outright, what's the cheapest amount we can pay before cancelling? For example, sign up for the lowest VZW post-paid plan for just 1 month, or buy the cheapest VZW prepaid bucket...
I still have the two VZW iPhone 5 handsets I bought on Day One from the West Linn VZW corporate store. One is on my desk as a backup for my business (but bought with my personal funds - I don't care about mix and matching funds here) and my business partner is using the other. Both bought outright, no contract and no contract information given.

I still have two VZW iPhone 6 handsets that I bought on Day One from the VZW corporate store on Broadway, just a few blocks from the Pioneer Place Apple Store and in the same building as one of my attorneys (which is why I was there in the first place...). Both bought outright, no contract and no contract information given. Both are used as backups for my small company but bought with my personal funds with that intent.

I have and still use daily a VZW 6S+, bought at the West Linn VZW corporate store, bought outright, no contract and no contract information given.

I don't see what others think this bit is difficult. I walk in, ask for what I want, and buy it. There no law that tells me that I can't walk in with my own cup of coffee and order breakfast from my favorite breakfast place, which makes dishwater-flavored coffee but great breakfast dishes - it's pretty much like that, they're sales people at VZW and all one has to do is ask. Get past the bluff and puffery - I did, over 40 years ago in Manhattan buying stuff from "vendors" on 6th - they'll tell what they want, and you tell them you have money and offer "take it or leave it". It's that simple, and they don't need to know anything else about you except your credit card number.

I am a VZW customer, but I don't share that with anyone in a VZW corporate store anymore. The people in the store are just sales people out for a buck, since VZW fired their tech support staff a couple of years ago, the people in a VZW corporate store could be at Starbucks or a used car lot next week - they just want their commission. I get that "disappointed" look that they're not extending an existing or creating a new contract, but I don't care and - in the end - neither do they... Buy a $19 crap headset accessory if you feel guilty and want to pad the bottom line. I'm guessing that a manager feeds them a line that they need a telephone or account number, I just conduct myself with a respectful assertiveness, buy what I want, and walk out the door...

Reactions: MisterAndrew

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008

All of this panic and conjecture happens with every iPhone launch. This is nothing new. Every time there are people posting saying that someone at Apple told them something, but it always turns out to be wrong.

Buying a phone day 1 with a carrier designation "device only" is pretty much the same thing as waiting for the official SIM free version. You can't really preorder a "device only" phone as they want your carrier account info. I don't think this is Apple being evil, rather it has more to do with what the carriers are demanding of Apple. Imagine if they didn't do this, then Apple would sell out of phones to people ordering them with the intention of reselling them overseas and the carriers would be upset that none (or substantially fewer) of their customers could upgrade. But you can get in line at the Apple Store on the first day (or anytime after launch) and request a phone "device only".

I use T-mobile, but my preference would always be for a VZ phone for maximum resale flexibility. However, they've always been out of them by the time my slot in line came up, so my second choice would be T-mobile and if these were gone, then ATT, which is really the same as the T-Mobile phone. I have always avoided Sprint phones as they used to never be unlocked. I do not know what the current policy is for Sprint phones...IF they can be confirmed to be unlocked if purchased device only, I would move them to my second choice as it is the same phone as the VZ one with the CDMA bands.

Last year when the SIM free version of the 6S came out, it was technically the Sprint phone which was just a little different from the VZ version as it had a radio that would also work with all Chinese carriers. I think all versions of the 7 support those bands now, so there's really no reason to wait for something special in a possible SIM free version.

Bottom line is you need to go to the Apple Store for a "device only" purchase. It's always been this way. VZ phones are guaranteed to be unlocked and have all available bands GSM & CDMA.

I've never actually been early enough in line to get a VZ phone on launch day and have never had any trouble reselling my T-Mobile or ATT versions later on, so it's probably not really that important unless you think you may personally switch to a CDMA carrier at some point. I know I'm not leaving T-mobile. We are all probably being a bit over-obsessed with something that's not that important. Good luck!

Reactions: pcmike

tlkudo

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2016
I'm sure this has been covered before, but if you have any friends who aren't upgrading, or (gasp!) aren't into iphones, then 'borrow' their account info to make an outright purchase of the phone from Apple. Billing and shipping details still go through your normal apple account preferences, so it will bill and ship to you. This gets past the artificial 'account wall' that Apple put up for Verizon and Sprint. Won't affect your friends' accounts since you're smart enough to pull the SIM card out right away and light it on fire (or just toss it I suppose...)

However, Apple still limits purchases to only 1 phone per line. You can add several phones to your basket but Apple won't let you check out. After you've bought one, if you try to purchase another on the same line you get a friendly too bad so sad message.

Anyway, count me among those thoroughly disappointed in Apple for secretly releasing inferior versions of the same phone then offering no official way choose which one you get. I do occasionally travel abroad and would like maximum compatibility for swapping SIM cards, and I do eventually resell all my phones so secondary market value and marketability is important.

Let's hope this silliness is a one time deal. I'm not a huge fan of dragging my friends into my iphone habit, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

nealh

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2010
What is so bothersome is if you purchase the phone outright there should be ZERO limitation.

Carries decided subsidies were not in their interest.
Buying full price and having it " connected" to a carrier but not having a full functioning phone that can't be used on any carrier is BS.

Apple does not tell you the phone is crippled potential.

They are selling it as unlocked and connected to AT&T- that means to me I can you it anywhere but the sim will have the AT&T info for my activation

If I were buying on AT&T Next or T-Mobile financing I get GSM only

I want to be able to change to any carrier if I desire based service quality not a " locked" phone.

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Do I have to hire a consultant for all this? I'm on AT&T with Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan that I want to preserve. But I'm going to be traveling and if in a non-AT&T area - want to be able to use another service for a few weeks. It seems I cannot do this. No matter what "Payment Method" I choose. Even pure full price unlocked phone requires a carrier tied to it and a phone number attached to that carrier.

Maybe I'm just damn ignorant - but I don't get it.

pcmike

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Lake Worth, FL
Do I have to hire a consultant for all this? I'm on AT&T with Grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan that I want to preserve. But I'm going to be traveling and if in a non-AT&T area - want to be able to use another service for a few weeks. It seems I cannot do this. No matter what "Payment Method" I choose. Even pure full price unlocked phone requires a carrier tied to it and a phone number attached to that carrier.

Maybe I'm just damn ignorant - but I don't get it.

If you pay the full price, the phone will be unlocked. If you pay via the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program, the phone will be unlocked. No one in this thread is really concerned with the phone being unlocked or not, because we know it will be unlocked. We're concerned with the fact that when you purchase the phone, Apple gives you one of two models... GSM (AT&T/T-Mobile/etc) or CDMA/GSM (Verizon/Sprint/etc) based on what carrier your using at the time (meaning what carrier your phone number comes back to). So if you're currently using AT&T you will get a GSM only phone and if 6 months down the road you decide to switch to Verizon you will not be able to use your phone on Verizon expansive CDMA network, ONLY their LTE. Conversely, if your phone number is currently with Verizon, you'll get a CDMA/GSM phone and if in 6 months you switch to AT&T you'll be 100% fine and the phone will function 100%. That's what we're upset about, we all want the CDMA/GSM variant of the iPhone 7.

Hopefully that makes sense..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.