iPhone 7 needs to look more like the 5S

kristoffer4

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
Denmark
I really like my iphone 6, but I also feel that the iphone 5S has a better design. It feels more solid and more exlusive. I would love if Apple brought the hard edges back to the iphone 7 and a less slippery back side.
Sort of like a flat and large iphone 5S. =)
Do any of you agree?

hutrebug

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2015
I really like my iphone 6, but I also feel that the iphone 5S has a better design. It feels more solid and more exlusive. I would love if Apple brought the hard edges back to the iphone 7 and a less slippery back side.
Do any of you agree?

Jony Ive is inclined towards fabulous flamboyance, so I doubt it. ;)

CjonesHouston

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Texas
I did enjoy the look and feel of the iPhone 5s. I would of loved to have a thinner version of it in the 6 and 6+ models. With less bezels. I think they will go back to a square or flat sides design. Maybe on the iPhone 8 I think Apple will do at least one more year of the curved are round side style iPhone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Yeah, although the iPhone 6 Series looks nice the appearance is in no way special. It has no wow factor when you hold it, it exudes no real sense of prestige. The i4 and i5 looked much nicer in my humble opinion. They looked and felt more premium.

Reactions: lugworm and CamiMR

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
I really don't give a damn about the phone being fancy or expensive looking but I do care about ergonomics. With these bigger screen sizes they should make the phone better to hold. The iPhone 6S is a bit slippery without a case and the curved edges provide little grip.

Based on my current Z5 Compact which is more angular, the back of a phone should be smoother and curved to be pleasant to hold, fitting better in your palm. There can be more edges on the front. Sure, a curved back won't sit flat on the table but that's not what phones are for. That way they could also add in a bigger battery because having a thinner phone isn't really what anyone needs.

I also hope they get rid of the home button or at least place it somewhere on the side where it's better to reach. I really love how they've done it on the Z5 Compact, the power button and fingerprint reader is in a perfect position when you grab your phone.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I really don't give a damn about the phone being fancy or expensive looking but I do care about ergonomics. With these bigger screen sizes they should make the phone better to hold. The iPhone 6S is a bit slippery without a case and the curved edges provide little grip.

Based on my current Z5 Compact which is more angular, the back of a phone should be smoother and curved to be pleasant to hold, fitting better in your palm. There can be more edges on the front. Sure, a curved back won't sit flat on the table but that's not what phones are for. That way they could also add in a bigger battery because having a thinner phone isn't really what anyone needs.

I also hope they get rid of the home button or at least place it somewhere on the side where it's better to reach. I really love how they've done it on the Z5 Compact, the power button and fingerprint reader is in a perfect position when you grab your phone.
An expensive phone should look and feel expensive in my book.
Regarding the home button, I had never really considered the side to be a suitable place but it might work. I would hate it to be a cheap feeling clicky affair like the power and volume buttons though. A home button needs to feel soft and tactile.

deadsoul

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2015
That's the reason why I still have my 5s, the 6 series looks like crap also is plagued with issues.

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB
Do any of you agree?
I was on an iPhone 4 prior to my 6s, and I very much appreciate the rounded edges of the 6s. I would prefer they didn't go back to the hard edges. But I could live with a grippier back.

C

Reactions: aKansasKid

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I think they should just work on possibly cutting down bezel a tad and finding a way to hide those hideous antenna lines. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Schubbiii

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I would love to see the size of the 5S come back. I wasn't a big fan of the design of the 6, as it was too thin and was the first iPhone I had to put into a case. However yesterday I stopped by an apple store and tried out a 6S and 6S+, and I was surprised to see that the small amount of thickness and weight they added was actually noticeable, and was enough to make me feel like I might be able house one without a case, so I think as long as Apple doesn't try to go thinner with the 7 any design is likely to be good.

kirkhuffy

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2012
Philadelphia
I doubt they will make the phone thicker again to accommodate the design of the 5 series. With that being said, I did like a thicker phone. My absolute favorite design was the 4/4s. Best design Apple has done with a phone thus far IMO.
However, the 6 is nice. The 5 series, while I didn't mind having it (I missed the 4 though), looked weird because of the dimensions. Thin but tall.
It seems round and curved is staying their direction though judging by designs like the Apple Watch

Reactions: sunking101

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
The 3G/S had curved designs. So why did we go backwards with the 6?
Those actually were pretty good designs. There was a thread on here asking people to rank their favorite iPhone designs, and I was stuck between the 4 and the 3 series so I took out my old ones and the 3G felt much nicer in the hand than the 4.

yaboyac29

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2014
Those actually were pretty good designs. There was a thread on here asking people to rank their favorite iPhone designs, and I was stuck between the 4 and the 3 series so I took out my old ones and the 3G felt much nicer in the hand than the 4.
Yup, I love the 3G because it's thicker and more ergonomic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.