iPhone 7 needs to look more like the 5S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kristoffer4, Oct 8, 2015.

1. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

I really like my iphone 6, but I also feel that the iphone 5S has a better design. It feels more solid and more exlusive. I would love if Apple brought the hard edges back to the iphone 7 and a less slippery back side.
    Sort of like a flat and large iphone 5S. =)
    Do any of you agree?

2. Dtsantos macrumors newbie

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

4. Pelea macrumors 6502

Forwards*

5. AFDoc macrumors 68030

So going back to a previous design is moving forward.....Ok.

6. hutrebug macrumors regular

Jony Ive is inclined towards fabulous flamboyance, so I doubt it. ;)

7. Pelea macrumors 6502

Glad you understood :)

8. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

lord i hope not

they need to get rid of the top and bottom bezels and the home button. my nexus 6 has a 6 inch screen and is roughly the same size as my iphone 6s plus

9. ZipZap macrumors 603

This presumes the 6 design is actually a step forward. Round edges can be made square. That's all that's needed.

10. CjonesHouston macrumors 65816

CjonesHouston

I did enjoy the look and feel of the iPhone 5s. I would of loved to have a thinner version of it in the 6 and 6+ models. With less bezels. I think they will go back to a square or flat sides design. Maybe on the iPhone 8 I think Apple will do at least one more year of the curved are round side style iPhone.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

Yeah, although the iPhone 6 Series looks nice the appearance is in no way special. It has no wow factor when you hold it, it exudes no real sense of prestige. The i4 and i5 looked much nicer in my humble opinion. They looked and felt more premium.

12. kasakka macrumors 68000

I really don't give a damn about the phone being fancy or expensive looking but I do care about ergonomics. With these bigger screen sizes they should make the phone better to hold. The iPhone 6S is a bit slippery without a case and the curved edges provide little grip.

Based on my current Z5 Compact which is more angular, the back of a phone should be smoother and curved to be pleasant to hold, fitting better in your palm. There can be more edges on the front. Sure, a curved back won't sit flat on the table but that's not what phones are for. That way they could also add in a bigger battery because having a thinner phone isn't really what anyone needs.

I also hope they get rid of the home button or at least place it somewhere on the side where it's better to reach. I really love how they've done it on the Z5 Compact, the power button and fingerprint reader is in a perfect position when you grab your phone.

13. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

An expensive phone should look and feel expensive in my book.
    Regarding the home button, I had never really considered the side to be a suitable place but it might work. I would hate it to be a cheap feeling clicky affair like the power and volume buttons though. A home button needs to feel soft and tactile.

14. deadsoul macrumors regular

That's the reason why I still have my 5s, the 6 series looks like crap also is plagued with issues.

15. decafjava macrumors 68020

decafjava

"looks like crap" = opinion

"plagued with issues" = wrong*

*Well every series has had its issues.

16. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

I was on an iPhone 4 prior to my 6s, and I very much appreciate the rounded edges of the 6s. I would prefer they didn't go back to the hard edges. But I could live with a grippier back.

C

17. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I think they should just work on possibly cutting down bezel a tad and finding a way to hide those hideous antenna lines. Just my opinion though.

18. 0007776 Suspended

I would love to see the size of the 5S come back. I wasn't a big fan of the design of the 6, as it was too thin and was the first iPhone I had to put into a case. However yesterday I stopped by an apple store and tried out a 6S and 6S+, and I was surprised to see that the small amount of thickness and weight they added was actually noticeable, and was enough to make me feel like I might be able house one without a case, so I think as long as Apple doesn't try to go thinner with the 7 any design is likely to be good.

19. kirkhuffy macrumors regular

I doubt they will make the phone thicker again to accommodate the design of the 5 series. With that being said, I did like a thicker phone. My absolute favorite design was the 4/4s. Best design Apple has done with a phone thus far IMO.
    However, the 6 is nice. The 5 series, while I didn't mind having it (I missed the 4 though), looked weird because of the dimensions. Thin but tall.
    It seems round and curved is staying their direction though judging by designs like the Apple Watch

20. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Well the design is already done. So we will just have to wait for the leaks.

21. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

The 3G/S had curved designs. So why did we go backwards with the 6?

22. 0007776 Suspended

Those actually were pretty good designs. There was a thread on here asking people to rank their favorite iPhone designs, and I was stuck between the 4 and the 3 series so I took out my old ones and the 3G felt much nicer in the hand than the 4.

23. yaboyac29 macrumors 6502a

Yup, I love the 3G because it's thicker and more ergonomic.

24. Crazyj414 macrumors regular

Crazyj414