Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Hi all,

During the reveal of iPhone 7 Plus, I remember seeing some promotional photos that they took with the camera.

One photo I remember was of the man mid air, and it looked perfect. No blur what so ever.

Now, when I take a photo of anything that isn't static, it turns out blurry and really disappointing.

Anyone else?
Have I missed a setting or something?

Thanks in advance.

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Hi all,

During the reveal of iPhone 7 Plus, I remember seeing some promotional photos that they took with the camera.

One photo I remember was of the man mid air, and it looked perfect. No blur what so ever.

Now, when I take a photo of anything that isn't static, it turns out blurry and really disappointing.

Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Make sure your lens cover is clean and free of streaking. I was taking pictures at The National Air and Space Museum a few months ago and couldn't figure out why my photos were coming out with streaky light sources. I wiped off the lens cover and all was well again. Just a thought.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
Hi all,

Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

You are talking about shutter speed or exposure time. The iphone7 has a longer shutter speed that helps with low light pictures but will make action scenes seem blurry and bright scenes seem white.

See the big white background?

screenshot_20160928-101959-png.662492

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160928-101959.png
    Screenshot_20160928-101959.png
    806.8 KB · Views: 691

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
You are talking about shutter speed or exposure time. The iphone7 has a longer shutter speed that helps with low light pictures but will make action scenes seem blurry and bright scenes seem white.

See the big white background?

screenshot_20160928-101959-png.662492

That doesn't make sense to me as the promo picture shows a man jumping and mid air the image looks sharp with no blur.

Make sure your lens cover is clean and free of streaking. I was taking pictures at The National Air and Space Museum a few months ago and couldn't figure out why my photos were coming out with streaky light sources. I wiped off the lens cover and all was well again. Just a thought.

I had that issue last week and wiped it clean which removed the streak, but didn't solve the blur of shooting something that is moving.

Bigads

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Here
Just a thought, but maybe they took a 'burst' of pictures and picked the best one.
That's how I manage to get decent pics of moving objects.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Just a thought, but maybe they took a 'burst' of pictures and picked the best one.
That's how I manage to get decent pics of moving objects.

Hmm... very possible I suppose.
I just assumed that is dealt with motion like that extremely well and thought I may have had a dodgy lens.

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
That photo was outdoors on a sunny day, so you get to have a really fast shutter speed that freezes action. If it's overcast or indoors, it's going to be blurry. Also, if you have HDR mode on it's also going to be blurry.

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
That photo was outdoors on a sunny day, so you get to have a really fast shutter speed that freezes action. If it's overcast or indoors, it's going to be blurry. Also, if you have HDR mode on it's also going to be blurry.

Ahhh, ok.

I will try some test shots outdoors then and see what happens.

Thanks

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Hi all,

Anyone else?

Thanks in advance.

Those super sharp images were taken in excellent lighting which resulted in high shutter speeds. Low light make for slow shutter speeds and moving object can be blurred due to motion or even camera movement.

Can you post some examples?

WRXiceman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 6, 2012
England, UK
Those super sharp images were taken in excellent lighting which resulted in high shutter speeds. Low light make for slow shutter speeds and moving object can be blurred due to motion or even camera movement.

Can you post some examples?

It must be due to poor lighting then.
To be honest, I've only tried it indoors, so will test tomorrow.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

dsjr2006

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2007
Metro Detroit
As with any other camera, the advertisement doesn't mean that you have the eye or talent to reproduce anything remotely similar, but it is easier with iPhone than many other.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.