iPhone 7 Plus - Disappointed / Dust under camera lens cover

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eric3312, Sep 17, 2016.

1. eric3312 macrumors 6502

This happened last year with my pre-order of the 6s Plus..I was so excited to get my device..only to see dust particles trapped under the camera lens cover.

I don't think it really has a lot of impact on picture quality, but once you see it...it's hard to unsee it. And it's bothersome to me...it's like wearing glasses with finger prints on them or smudge mark on them...you can still see fine, but it's just annoying.

if you guys look closely, can you see dust trapped under your lens cover? If so, do you care...are you swapping the device? Living with it?...I'd just like other people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance and I hope you all are enjoying your phones!!

2. ceva321 macrumors 6502

ceva321

^^^ I have OCD, that would bother the hell out of me....I would return it

3. bt231 macrumors newbie

Replace it? It's a side effect of a camera hump

4. Setarip macrumors member

Dust on the front element of a lens generally does not impact image quality. I've had my fair share of quality lenses with dust, and I have never noticed it effecting the quality at all. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to mass produce something without any dust getting involved. That is, unless Apple states that they use a clean room like other aerospace companies use for satellite production.

5. _Refurbished_ macrumors 68000

_Refurbished_

How is it a side effect of the camera hump if the 7 is dust resistant?

6. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

7. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Look, I am not saying you dont have the problem. But I cannot even look that deep into the lens to figure out what you are talking about. Again, you see the issue so get it fixed. I cannot!

9. GusHerb macrumors member

If the dust doesn't cause artifacts in the images I say let it be. Take a flashlight sometime with your screen off and you'll be surprised at how much dust you find in between the laminated layers. I once got a replacement 6 with a speck of dust under the camera lense and it left a nice artifact in the image. That one went back.

10. EDGEN3T macrumors newbie

EDGEN3T

I too have this issue with my Black iPhone 7 Plus 256. It's bugging the heck outta me. Especially when the phone is explicitly stated to be dust resistant. I think I'm going to have no choice but to take it to the Apple Store for a replacement.

Attached Files:

11. mi7chy macrumors 68040

mi7chy

Give it a good tap against a soft surface to dislodge it otherwise exchange it and take your chances with a different defect like dust under the bonded screen that can't be dislodged.

12. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Glad I'm not the only one. But what a pain in the ass. Going to the Apple Store is a 3 hour long extravaganza, even with an appointment. If I return it to Verizon, I'm stuck waiting for 2 months to get one.

13. mjjferreira macrumors member

14. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm just assuming. They're little specs of something. A wipe with a microfiber cloth does nothing. They're stuck.

15. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I've seen 4 iPhone 7 Pluses and they all have a couple pieces of dust in the larger lens. You can only tell in sunlight. It is annoying but if the phone is perfect otherwise I'd keep it. Not exchanging either of my 2. Like I said all I've seen to date have the problem.

16. eric3312 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for reporting this. I guess it's just disappointing to say the least. The device is almost 1,000 dollars and one of the main features (if not, THE main feature) is the new dual camera. To see dust and crap stuck in the camera right out of the box is just...disappointing.

17. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

Agreed but it is mass produced in China. I'd rather have dust in the camera lens compared the the myriad of other issues.

I honestly believe you'll get something worse on the new phone. And it will most likely have dust in the camera lens anyway.

18. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

On the left camera near the bottom, there appear to be 3 specs/strands of dust that is stuck under the camera lens. The image quality does not seem to be affected, but it kinda does bother me. This is a Jet Black iPhone 7+ ATT. Should I be concerned? What should I do? Should I just ignore it?

19. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

First off, please stop it with the 'gate.' EVERY year someone complains about dust under the lens.

Secondly, the dust shouldn't affect your pictures at all. The question is, will it both you. If the answer is yes, then call Apple and have them order you a new one or check the store to see if they can repair or replace.

20. david_williams macrumors newbie

I also had speck of dust under the camera. Just ended up returning it.
    It didn't seem to affect the picture since it was stuck near the edge but still bothered me. Apple store employee took it back without any questions and barely even looking at the camera.
    I would just go back and exchange it if i were you.

21. MultiMediaWill macrumors 68000

Do you think they have new Jet Black 7+ iPhones for exchange?

22. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

That's a tough one. They may or may not, but if you call Apple Care and explain the situation, they may be able to order a new one and extend your return period until your replacement arrives.

23. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

Wow... just return it. No need to start another one of these threads. It isn't even funny in an ironic way anymore.

24. gtg465x macrumors regular

gtg465x

My first 7+ matte black had a piece of dust under the lens cover directly in front of the camera. Didn't even turn the phone on. Just returned it and was able to reserve and pick up another one same day.

25. maka344 macrumors 6502a

maka344

How? It's dust resistant! Joke.

My 7 Plus had a couple of specs of production dust under the lens, I just returned it as I wanted Matte anyway.

There will be lots of dust, skin and hairs inside the devices from production, you just can't see them.