Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
This happened last year with my pre-order of the 6s Plus..I was so excited to get my device..only to see dust particles trapped under the camera lens cover.

I don't think it really has a lot of impact on picture quality, but once you see it...it's hard to unsee it. And it's bothersome to me...it's like wearing glasses with finger prints on them or smudge mark on them...you can still see fine, but it's just annoying.

if you guys look closely, can you see dust trapped under your lens cover? If so, do you care...are you swapping the device? Living with it?...I'd just like other people's thoughts.

Thanks in advance and I hope you all are enjoying your phones!!

Setarip

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2016
Dust on the front element of a lens generally does not impact image quality. I've had my fair share of quality lenses with dust, and I have never noticed it effecting the quality at all. Unfortunately, it's extremely difficult to mass produce something without any dust getting involved. That is, unless Apple states that they use a clean room like other aerospace companies use for satellite production.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
Look, I am not saying you dont have the problem. But I cannot even look that deep into the lens to figure out what you are talking about. Again, you see the issue so get it fixed. I cannot!

GusHerb

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2013
Chicago / Northwest, IN
If the dust doesn't cause artifacts in the images I say let it be. Take a flashlight sometime with your screen off and you'll be surprised at how much dust you find in between the laminated layers. I once got a replacement 6 with a speck of dust under the camera lense and it left a nice artifact in the image. That one went back.

EDGEN3T

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2016
No one else has this problem?

I too have this issue with my Black iPhone 7 Plus 256. It's bugging the heck outta me. Especially when the phone is explicitly stated to be dust resistant. I think I'm going to have no choice but to take it to the Apple Store for a replacement.

Attachments

• IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 6,896

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Give it a good tap against a soft surface to dislodge it otherwise exchange it and take your chances with a different defect like dust under the bonded screen that can't be dislodged.

Reactions: parrish003

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I too have this issue with my Black iPhone 7 Plus 256. It's bugging the heck outta me. Especially when the phone is explicitly stated to be dust resistant. I think I'm going to have no choice but to take it to the Apple Store for a replacement.

Glad I'm not the only one. But what a pain in the ass. Going to the Apple Store is a 3 hour long extravaganza, even with an appointment. If I return it to Verizon, I'm stuck waiting for 2 months to get one.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I've seen 4 iPhone 7 Pluses and they all have a couple pieces of dust in the larger lens. You can only tell in sunlight. It is annoying but if the phone is perfect otherwise I'd keep it. Not exchanging either of my 2. Like I said all I've seen to date have the problem.

eric3312

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
I've seen 4 iPhone 7 Pluses and they all have a couple pieces of dust in the larger lens. You can only tell in sunlight. It is annoying but if the phone is perfect otherwise I'd keep it. Not exchanging either of my 2. Like I said all I've seen to date have the problem.

Thanks for reporting this. I guess it's just disappointing to say the least. The device is almost 1,000 dollars and one of the main features (if not, THE main feature) is the new dual camera. To see dust and crap stuck in the camera right out of the box is just...disappointing.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Agreed but it is mass produced in China. I'd rather have dust in the camera lens compared the the myriad of other issues.

I honestly believe you'll get something worse on the new phone. And it will most likely have dust in the camera lens anyway.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
OOdcRxz.jpg

On the left camera near the bottom, there appear to be 3 specs/strands of dust that is stuck under the camera lens. The image quality does not seem to be affected, but it kinda does bother me. This is a Jet Black iPhone 7+ ATT. Should I be concerned? What should I do? Should I just ignore it?

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
First off, please stop it with the 'gate.' EVERY year someone complains about dust under the lens.

Secondly, the dust shouldn't affect your pictures at all. The question is, will it both you. If the answer is yes, then call Apple and have them order you a new one or check the store to see if they can repair or replace.

david_williams

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2016
I also had speck of dust under the camera. Just ended up returning it.
It didn't seem to affect the picture since it was stuck near the edge but still bothered me. Apple store employee took it back without any questions and barely even looking at the camera.
I would just go back and exchange it if i were you.

Reactions: jbachandouris

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
I also had speck of dust under the camera. Just ended up returning it.
It didn't seem to affect the picture since it was stuck near the edge but still bothered me. Apple store employee took it back without any questions and barely even looking at the camera.
I would just go back and exchange it if i were you.
Do you think they have new Jet Black 7+ iPhones for exchange?

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
My first 7+ matte black had a piece of dust under the lens cover directly in front of the camera. Didn't even turn the phone on. Just returned it and was able to reserve and pick up another one same day.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
How? It's dust resistant! Joke.

My 7 Plus had a couple of specs of production dust under the lens, I just returned it as I wanted Matte anyway.

There will be lots of dust, skin and hairs inside the devices from production, you just can't see them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.