iPhone 7 plus extreme battery drain and overheating

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Frazzleuk, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Frazzleuk macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

Hi guys, hope you can help.

My iPhone 7 plus is a couple of weeks old now and I've had no issues until last night.

I had a battery pack connected to the phone that should have easily charged the phone fully. I feel asleep on the sofa and woke up around 1am. The battery pack was dead and the phone only charged to 40%. So I closed down all the apps on the phone, locked the screen and went to bed.

When I woke up this morning the phone was dead! I put it on charge and it's super hot when charging! Also when the phone powered up I had a system password request for my gmail account.

I can't get any battery information at the moment, but have read elsewhere that when the phone can't log into an email account it continually try's in the background and that can sometimes drain the battery.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Some stuff like Gmail might not work if the date/time on the phone is invalid. Maybe that external connector has caused some sort of issue (ouch, hope not).

Anyway, check the time/date on the phone. make sure it's current. Restart it after and see if the problem for things like google mail persist.

I think it's almost fair the say: stop using unofficial external thingies to Apple products. It seems a lot of companies take short cuts apple wouldn't. There should be sufficient overcharging protection on the device itself. I think there is tech in those batteries that they even communicate with eachother to max out performance vs saving power etc.

But some chargers feel that 5m charging at max speed and power , despite it causing damage to the battery .. is worth an ad slogan and makes more sales, over a quality performing battery charger that will do the right thing.

I have a hard time trusting these things. I hope it's a software glitchy thing that caused some issues. and it behaves normal after this. But if you charge using apple's charger and it keeps blowing up the heat, .. and the battery shows invalid values etc. It's time to call apple and let them check it out in the store perhaps. Especially since its new and under warranty.

3. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I'm wondering if the external battery pack contributed to the iPhones battery drain issues.

And if you had an application that was running and causing a glitch, where it was the reason
    Contributing to the battery drain.

4. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

Something's strange for sure. I've got three different brand power packs.

Anker from Amazon 6000mah
    Rav from Amazon 3350 mah
    Generic one from local shop 5000mah (currently charging from)

The Anker only charged the battery to 83% from flat this morning. The first 50% charged super quick and made the phone very hot, the other 30 or so percent took a little longer and the phone cooled.

The Rav charger is what charged the phone last night to 40% before the charge ran out of the power pack and then the phone drained itself overnight, around 4 hours later.

The unbranded charger is now on the device and is charging the phone for the remaining 17%. The phone is now charging in a cooler state and feels more comfortable to touch.

Not sure what's going on. Both the Rav and the Anker chargers have a quick charge facility which will charge the phone at the maximum charge it can receive, they also have strong guarantees and are probably the most highly acclaimed power banks out their with strong warranties and backed up claims.

5. Newtons Apple, Oct 17, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2016

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I would try just plugging your phone to the regular charger and skip all the portable chargers.

The recharging devices can be acting badly.

6. Check 6 macrumors regular

I had an external third party battery pack on a previous I phone and had a similar charging and heat issue. When batteries charge they emit heat and covering the back of the case with an external pack makes it harder for the iPhone case you emit that heat build up. Since then I had stayed with just the phone. The "plus" models have plenty of battery capacity for my uses.

7. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

This isn't a battery pack case. These are just stand alone battery power packs. I've used the phone today and it's lost charge very quickly and in doing so got very hot. I've scheduled a Genius Bar appointment for Friday.

8. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

Similar problem had again tonight. Went to bed with the phone at 25 percent, only to wake early hours of this morning to find the phone completely dead. The phone is taking a lot longer to fully charge as if the phone has an additional drain on it.

9. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

So according to the battery monitor I've spent 28mins on the phone in the last 12 hours. I haven't even used the phone today!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

I've closed all apps, turned background refresh for almost all apps off and turned of notifications for almost all apps and whilst the phone was in standby I lost 15% battery power in an hour and 15 mins.

Whilst using the phone to message on this forum I'm loosing roughly 1% battery every 2 minutes. It really is very light 3G usage as I'm not reloading or refreshing whilst view the forum through Tapatalk!

11. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just take it back and get it exchanged and move on with life.

12. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

So I have an appointment on Friday (it's the earliest appointment I could get). Phone has just run flat again and according to the system battery information I got 5hrs 37mins of standby and 2hrs and 57mins of usage (1hr 30 mins was background usage)

Awful. The phone is only 2 weeks old!

13. gsingham macrumors 6502

Looks like u have a geofence up. The gps icon is on. Find out which app is causing it. Turn off location services completely first if it helps eliminate one by one

14. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

I managed to get that to go off this morning when I turned off location data for a number of apps. Unfortunately it didn't seem to help with the battery issues.

15. markol macrumors member

Do you have an Apple Watch by any chance?

16. l3uddz macrumors 6502

Damn dude, hope you get this sorted. Apple should hopefully just swap it for a replacement. I think I read about Apple Watch causing battery drain in another thread, like poster above mentioned.

17. blaine07 macrumors 65816

There's another recent post about this. Can't find it but apparently Apple is aware of problem and to be addressed in software update soon.

18. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I wouldn't panic over the statistics from one random night. Take the batter pack off, charge to fill, make sure the email is logged in, see how it goes. Trouble shoot from there. It may be a fluke. It may be the battery pack. This sort of thing really requires some amount of trial and error in your part before anyone can give you any valuable info.

19. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

Happened to my VZW matte black 256 GB today (running the latest 10.1 beta). I watched it drop battery while plugged in and getting hot. I erased all content and settings, and restored from this morning's back up of my jet black (same phone but using with AT&T service), which is always cool as a cucumber and has excellent battery life. We'll see how it does tomorrow.

20. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

And today I got the warning!

[​IMG]

Couldn't get an earlier appointment than this Friday, so I'm sure Apple will suggest changing it but I'm not confident they are going to have replacement stock of the JB 7+ 128gb

21. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

I've tried all of the above and still drainage issues. The heat the other day taking a phone call almost became unbearable and today the phone literally overheated. So I presume it's a hardware issue or combination of hardware and software.

22. cwosigns macrumors 65816

cwosigns

This seems to have worked for me, going back to a known good backup. I'll see how today goes.

23. markol macrumors member

Not sure if true, but I heard if you get a replacement it'll only come with 90 days warranty?... are you still in the return/exchange window? If so, I'd recommend just buying a new one and returning.

24. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

No. the 90 days warranty only applies when you are near the end your warranty. So your original warranty will transfer over to the replacement device.

25. Frazzleuk thread starter macrumors 6502

Frazzleuk

So tonight I'm restore the iPhone and updating to the latest OS via iTunes. Then restoring from iCloud backup. We will see if it makes any difference.