iPhone 7 Plus > iPhone 8

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghsNick, Sep 12, 2017.

1. ghsNick macrumors 68030

ghsNick

I'm comparing everything and I don't understand how the 7 Plus is better than the 8.

How is it that some features on the 7 Plus are still better than the standard 8?

So happy I just ordered an iPhone 7 Plus (128gb) for what I consider a steal compared to the 8.

Sure, the 8 has TrueTone, wireless charging capabilities, BlueTooth 5 and a newer processor...but the 7 Plus has a better camera, more RAM and a better battery.

Please let me know if I'm missing anything. But this is crazy! Even for Apple.

2. JCCL macrumors 6502a

Well it has a bigger screen.........for the most part they will perform the same.

3. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

That's what people said about the 7 (when comparing RAM) but the Plus performed better.

Basically what I'm saying is last years model shouldn't be the same (if not better) as this years model.

4. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

We're at the point where a 7 is really sufficient for most people, if not excellent.

So why not put them all out there and let people choose.

5. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Many consumers will likely come to the same conclusion.

I imagine part of the reason why Apple chose to name it iPhone 8 instead of 7S is because it needed the extra marketing push.

6. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

So, uh, why not wait for a week and order it once the prices have dropped?

7. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

The price already dropped. I just ordered it today?

Are you saying the prices are going down again?

8. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

They are right now.

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 9.49.03 PM.png

9. sna3 macrumors member

you missed the fast charging on the iphone 8

50% charge in just 30 minutes.

this is very very useful

10. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

So 6-7-8-10 = same boat

apple doesnt redeisgn , that so disappointed

11. sna3 macrumors member

you only look at the outside and ignore the inside ?

if it looks cool , I dont need a redesign much .

12. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

So...a feature that a still have to pay for an additional accessory for?

Just doesn't make since. So happy I pulled the trigger on a 7 Plus today!

13. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

6-6s-7-8-10

ad next yrs X2 or 11 same design-

oh my -

14. sna3 macrumors member

make your design and send them to apple for free :)

15. titrau macrumors 65816

titrau

I dont have big plan after watch event .,,, not hurry like before

16. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Any particular reason you’re comparing the 7+ to the 8, and not the 8+? Seems like apples and oranges to me.

17. JonD25 macrumors 6502

I'm in the same boat. Currently on a 6s, but I always eyed the 7+ for the dual cameras (I'm a photographer). I don't want to spend $1k on the X, and I don't want another single camera phone like my 6s. I figured, might as well get the 7+ since the 8+ doesn't seem all that much better. But, they only offer the 7+ in 32GB and 128GB. The 8+ is 64GB standard. 32GB would be a downgrade for me currently, and 128GB is overkill. But not only that, the 128GB 7+ is only $30 cheaper than a 64GB 8+. So at this point, it just seems like the 8+ is really my best option, unless I'm missing something?

18. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

Really annoyed that this only works with the (sold separately) USB-C 29W power adapter, which requires a (sold separately) USB-C-to-Lightning cable

19. shootertwist14 macrumors member

Agree with you there. Its like they had to milk that design and form factor one last time before going full oled lineup for next year. And since its delayed, apple needed something to dangle to people who couldnt wait anymore or dont need the high end X, and the price also had to be significantly “lower” than the iphone X so that those who are price conscious will sort of settle for the iphone8... its also the reason i think they had to sort of delay the X’s release, even if they could have launched it in limited quantities, since many will still go with the higher end X and not get much out of the iphone 8. I remember when they launched the cheaper iphone 5c and also the iphone 5s, while the 5c was cheaper, the 5s still had preorders filled up immediately.

20. ghsNick thread starter macrumors 68030

ghsNick

Well, even then there's not a major difference. Very few differences for the price increase.

But in no way should last years iPhone 7 Plus be better than the 8 in multiple side by side comparisons.

That's just common sense to me...but who knows?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2017 ---
    For me the 128gb storage is more valuable. That's the main reason I went with the 7 Plus instead of the 8 Plus. The additional features of the 8 Plus with only 64gb of storage wouldn't benefit me.

Especially with all the 4K capabilities and extra storage needed in these new phones.

21. bambooshots macrumors 65816

bambooshots

Thought about getting the iPhone 7 Plus to save a bit of money.

Then I looked and discovered they took away the 256GB option.

Looks like the iPhone 8 Plus or X for me. I need the 256GB storage option.

22. JonD25 macrumors 6502

Yeah, I just use iCloud Photo Library and set it to optimize my storage. This plus using a streaming music service like Spotify, and the fact that I don't do much video, 64GB is pretty much my sweet spot. Been there since the 5s. Never felt cramped really. I know I'm not everyone though, but personally I'd use the features on the 8 more than the extra space. Which is saying something since the features on the 8 aren't really all that special it seems like.

23. davelees76 macrumors member

I came to the exact same conclusion.

24. TheIgster macrumors regular

TheIgster

If this was so useful or important to everyone here, then there would be no one on these forums because a number of Android phones, including the last few Samsung phones have had this for years. It takes no time at all to charge my S7 Edge for example...wirelessly even.

25. davelees76 macrumors member

So 64 gb of storage is worth more than a faster chip, TrueTone, improved camera, wireless charging and fast charging?

No offense but that doesn't make sense to me.