Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

itisme1760

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2008
California
I have similar issues with this on my iPhone 7. It loses LTE service randomly then it has to fall back on 3G after it reacquires a signal.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Replaced sim- same. Verizon store said they didn't have stock of iPhone 7 128gb and sent me to apple to get it replaced. Apple advised they could replace it but I would not be able to return phone to Verizon should I want to before return period. Verizon refused to tell me which stores had iPhone 7 in stock so it's up to me to track one down, pathetic.

Reactions: determined09

Deputydog

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2004
I've been having the same issue since Friday night on my 7 plus. Took it to Verizon yesterday and had the sim replaced but that didn't fix the problem. Called Apple, they had me do a factory restore with my mac (I think that's their solution for everything). I drove 45 minutes into New Jersey today and twice the phone switched to no service. I noticed it usually drops to no service or 3g when I'm moving in the car. Hopefully Verizon or Apple figures this out.

applecenturion

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2014
I've been having the same issue since Friday night on my 7 plus. Took it to Verizon yesterday and had the sim replaced but that didn't fix the problem. Called Apple, they had me do a factory restore with my mac (I think that's their solution for everything). I drove 45 minutes into New Jersey today and twice the phone switched to no service. I noticed it usually drops to no service or 3g when I'm moving in the car. Hopefully Verizon or Apple figures this out.

Hopefully very soon! It's extremely frustrating.

msingh7

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2012
I experienced 3 dropped signals yesterday while driving in NJ as well. I was using Waze or Google maps when they happened. Had to go on Airplane mode for a few seconds and then back to get back onto LTE. Hope this gets resolved.

audiofx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
I experienced 3 dropped signals yesterday while driving in NJ as well. I was using Waze or Google maps when they happened. Had to go on Airplane mode for a few seconds and then back to get back onto LTE. Hope this gets resolved.

Chiming in here, I live in NYC market, having the same issues. I noticed just in general use my phone would goto 1x sometimes then to 3g and not go back to LTE. I would toggle airplane mode and be back on LTE. Yesterday I needed to use waze for some driving and I got no service issues having to toggle or reset the phone. This happened within NYC and then when I was in New jersey driving a long trip, same thing I ended up just turning off waze. There is certainly some software issues. I do not believe at this point swapping phones out will fix anything since I believe it is a software / radio issue.

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
Chiming in here, I live in NYC market, having the same issues. I noticed just in general use my phone would goto 1x sometimes then to 3g and not go back to LTE. I would toggle airplane mode and be back on LTE. Yesterday I needed to use waze for some driving and I got no service issues having to toggle or reset the phone. This happened within NYC and then when I was in New jersey driving a long trip, same thing I ended up just turning off waze. There is certainly some software issues. I do not believe at this point swapping phones out will fix anything since I believe it is a software / radio issue.

agreed that it doesn't seem like a swap is the way to go...I was using Waze today and noticed the issue less than 10 minutes in...shut off waze and my signal immediately recovered. used apple maps for the rest of the drive with no apparent issue...perhaps a bug with 3rd party mapping software crashing the GPS functions?? I'm moderately tech savvy but no expert in hardware so I could be completely off base

germanguy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
I wonder whether it has something to do with spectrum aggregation (LTE advanced). I have the same issue with the latest note 7 on t-mobile which is capable of spectrum aggregation.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
my issue happens randomly, as I don't use Waze. So its being caused by general network traffic, not just Waze.

Reactions: Rocko99

audiofx

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
NYC
It is in genera but using waze or gps app like google maps is almost certain to make it happen within 10 minutes or so

Reactions: mav41

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I think it's anything that puts a data load on the phone. Happened to me every time I took my phone out of my pocket and either checked the forums or facebook.

alee

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2008
New York, NY
I think it's anything that puts a data load on the phone. Happened to me every time I took my phone out of my pocket and either checked the forums or facebook.
Yeah this is the use case for me... pulling it out of my pocket, 4 or 5 bars, no data, then you see it jump to 1x and then to 3G, but not LTE. I have to flip to airplane mode and off again to get LTE back.

Reactions: LizQuen_

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Yeah this is the use case for me... pulling it out of my pocket, 4 or 5 bars, no data, then you see it jump to 1x and then to 3G, but not LTE. I have to flip to airplane mode and off again to get LTE back.

I forwarded all 3 threads to Verizon's customer service on twitter and also just noticed someone with 3 UK having the same issue in another thread.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
Well my Waze theory is shot. Happened with apple maps, it just covers it up better than Waze. Like others, doesn't go 10 mins without dropping. Only context that I use cellular is navigation plus short bursts of facebook/internet. But I'm on wifi for 90% of the time.

novakjos

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2014
New Jersey
Just got off the phone with Apple's support and then Verizon's support. Apple person acted like they had not heard of the issue before. Verizon person was surprised but did some research and found others have reported it. Got the recommendation to reset network settings. Not sure what the resolution will be but I'm trying to do my part by reporting it! :) FWIW, both customer service people were ridiculously polite, so that was a welcome change!

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
Just got off the phone with Apple's support and then Verizon's support. Apple person acted like they had not heard of the issue before. Verizon person was surprised but did some research and found others have reported it. Got the recommendation to reset network settings. Not sure what the resolution will be but I'm trying to do my part by reporting it! :) FWIW, both customer service people were ridiculously polite, so that was a welcome change!

I tried that on Sat and it didn't make a difference. I have a ticket opened with Verizon to 2nd level support but I won't hear back in at least 2 days. Seems we're stuck until Verizon decides to address this.

mav41

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2015
VZW support just contacted me and had me turn off HD voice as a test. You may want to try the same. VZW "Check by going to Settings> Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE. If it's turned on, it'll show as Voice & Data. Please change this to Data"

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
VZW support just contacted me and had me turn off HD voice as a test. You may want to try the same. VZW "Check by going to Settings> Cellular > Cellular Data Options > Enable LTE. If it's turned on, it'll show as Voice & Data. Please change this to Data"

I just changed this setting and my cellular reception switched from 1 to 2 dots of LTE to 3. I'll report back and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.