iPhone 7 Plus Ram?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BLUEBLASTER, Sep 6, 2016.

1. BLUEBLASTER macrumors regular

BLUEBLASTER

Will we find out about the extra ram tomorrow or will we need to wait till someone gets their hands on the phone? I'm talking about the plus version having 3GB of Ram supposedly.

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Rumors say the 7 plus will have 3GB of RAM to be able to process images taken by the dual cameras.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Typically not something Apple announces or lists anywhere, so more than likely, as usual, we'd need to wait until someone does some testing or comes across some other information that is definitive.

4. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

They don't announce specs that the average consumer won't understand.

5. FrozenInferno macrumors regular

If Phil can go on stage and rattle off camera apertures and pixel sizes in microns I'm sure they could mention RAM size. I would guess more people know what RAM is than apertures and other camera-talk.

6. Rocket Man macrumors member

Apple would preffer not to talk about specs that may look bad against their competitors.

7. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

Exactly! They won't talk about RAM because we now have devices with upto 6GB RAM, and if Apple mentions 3GB, the 'average consumer' will think negatively of it.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

While I partially agree with you regarding the specifications, it's not mainly about the audience knowledge, it's more so the Keynotes are on a strict time line. If Apple wanted to, they could spend an entire Keynote just discussing the internal specifications.

9. Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

The spec information is already available on the Internet go through gsmarena.com iPhone 7

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Do people get to play with a display i7 model tomorrow?
    If yes couldn't they run a test on it.

11. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

Alleged specs are on the website.

12. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

It's more so about consumers comparing Apple to Oranges (Andrioids) alleging one is better due to having more RAM meanwhile iOS requires much less as it's more efficient.

13. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I am pretty positive I saw Phil Schiller standing on stage with a slide extolling the virtues of "Deep Trench Isolation"...

14. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Nice buzz word though ;). The average consumer thinks they know what RAM is but doesn't.

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

I think it's still a valid comparison when phones costing less than half as much as an iPhone come with more memory. While Android phones often go excessive chasing better specs on paper, at the moment around 3 GB seems to be a good sweet spot for RAM where you don't have to worry about browser tabs or apps reloading if you have more applications open at once. Apple's skimping on RAM and storage is one of my biggest beefs with the brand's phones and tablets - they only seem to add more when they absolutely have to and ask high prices for extra storage.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Core

Relentless Power

Right. But I was referring to time constraints literally on stage.

17. joeallen macrumors member

joeallen

The 'average consumer' will think negatively of it because they don't understand that 6GB RAM is not 2x 'better', 'faster' or 'more powerful' than 3GB. In most cases, particularly on iPhone, it really makes no difference at all.

Since it doesn't matter, they won't mention it as usual.

18. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

Didn't know you could multitask on an iPhone? Would be a killer feature if it could.

19. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

I shouldn't have to think about ram. I just need the device to work.

20. TheBigDog macrumors member

TheBigDog

If that's the case you have to think what you use your phone for, I still have my old Nokia flip phone for calls and texts if I need something with a week long battery life. Great for camping etc.!

21. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

Yeah RAM has only been a thing for decades and comes up on a regular basis because computers are among the most common things in our daily lives. But yeah, most people don't know what RAM is.....

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

They wouldn't really know the implications of it and simply think that more is better without consideration of what else is involved in it and the context.

23. JustMadeThisNameUp macrumors regular

More RAM is better. Apple does a great job using what little they implement but more RAM is better.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's the thing, it's not as simple as that. At least not in the sense that another phone having more doesn't mean that a different one with somewhat less performs worse and can in fact perform better--and that's the kind of thing that a typical user wouldn't really understand or even think about either not knowing any better or simply going with nothing more than "more is better".