iPhone 7 Plus Stock Expected to Remain Tight Through Holiday Shopping Season

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 18, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple is unlikely to reach iPhone 7 supply and demand equilibrium by the end of the December quarter, suggesting stock will remain tight through the holiday shopping season, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster.

[​IMG]

Munster checked 134 Apple retail stores in the United States for in-store iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus availability and found 47% of models he checked were available for pickup compared to 40% a month ago. By comparison, he said last year the iPhone 6s lineup was at 100% availability at this time.

iPhone 7 models remain more widely available than iPhone 7 Plus models by a significant margin. In a research note obtained by MacRumors, Munster said iPhone 7 Plus inventory remains constrained, with only 3% of SKUs available in the Apple retail stores he checked compared to 14% a month ago.

[​IMG]

Piper Jaffray said iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus inventory in China continues to be more constrained than on Apple's home turf. It found 16% total availability of SKUs at 96 China Unicom stores versus the 47% figure in the United States.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Plus Stock Expected to Remain Tight Through Holiday Shopping Season

2. Oldfash33 macrumors regular

Oldfash33

3. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

Apple is in a standoff with some of their big suppliers. They keep asking for more discounts, yet Apple keeps all the additional profit.

The suppliers are fed up - we'll give you the parts at the price and volume we quoted you. No more feebies/extra volume.

4. profets macrumors 601

Wow, over 2 months since launch and the Plus model still shows 3-4 weeks.

Either there is some crazy demand, or maybe they are still supply constrained with some part that is specific to the Plus.

5. cocky jeremy macrumors 601

cocky jeremy

You do realize most of these suppliers are very replaceable, right? And the replaceable ones know that. They'll bend over for Apple every time.

6. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

They just have to watch out.
    Apple doesn't want a exploding phone problem like Samsung had after Samsung put unrealistic requirements on their suppliers.

7. JimmyJimmyYam macrumors member

Well, duh, that's what happens if you constrain supply.

8. coolfactor macrumors 601

That supplier was their very own Samsung Battery.

9. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

That's annoying. My carrier is struggling to meet demand for the orders they received for the model I want. TBH I'm not sure I'll still want the phone if I'm kept waiting into the new year.

10. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I had not heard that before. I guess that is double the embarrassment for them.

11. jmh600cbr macrumors 6502a

jmh600cbr

easy to get an an apple store. watch istocknow for 2 days and you can get one, i've already managed to help more than 3 friends get various colors including jet. we've had them since the 3rd week

12. ryan1340 macrumors member

It took me about 14 days to get my 7+ from AT&T all the local apple store had was rose gold 256Gb but they had plenty of 7's in stock.

13. icanhazapple macrumors 6502

some of them, yes. The big ones, like Samsung, not really. Go see the OLED post from yesterday - if you want to source the best parts available, the ones Samsung makes, you'll pay for it.

14. dumastudetto macrumors 68040

It's undoubtedly incredible demand.

15. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

I think the average consumer realizes that the iPhone 7 is just a darn good phone. Does it look significantly different? Not really unless you get one of the black colors. But unlike other iPhone models that I've went on here to complain about in the past, there's not much to say about the iPhone 7. It's just really good, and isn't really missing anything worth complaining about. If pressed I could probably come up with a list, such as full waterproofing, more improvements to low-light performance, deeper display black levels, maybe a bit more punch from the top speaker, and reduced bezels. But those are things that most people probably don't care a whole lot about. I feel like the thing finally has good enough waterproofing, good enough low-light performance, one of the best displays in the industry, finally has stereo speakers, and the battery life is finally at a point where I don't ever have to worry about it. The lack of a headphone jack is really the only con to this thing, and over time that will become less of an issue.

16. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

by the time you get it it will almost be September for the real upgrade. Just hold out a few months unless your phone is destroyed. I'm waiting it out. Not running around from store to store to find the phone I want or wait a month for it. Wait a few more months and I'll order the phone that shoulda been released in September.

17. tito2020 macrumors 6502a

That is why we need US jobs we wouldnt have to rely

18. sbuttler77, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  19. DaIfoneboss macrumors regular

Not only SDI but ATL batteries too, so both Samsung batteries and batteries from ATL(not Samsung owned)

20. friedmud macrumors 65816

Just grabbed my Jet Black 256Gb at an Apple Store this morning!

I've just been checking iStockNow every morning and one showed up in my area. I wanted the 128GB but didn't want to wait any longer...

21. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    It'll be interesting to see sales numbers for the 7 over the next year. The 7 is arguably the worst, most controversial iPhone upgrade ever, and at a time when the competition is high, older iPhone models are increasing in longevity, and while the subsidized pricing structure is going away.

I for one am still rocking my 6+. I'm not a hater. The 7 is a great phone, but I no longer feel required to purchase every other year...

22. Ferc Kast macrumors 6502

Ferc Kast

Ironically, I checked that yesterday morning for a JB 7+ 128GB Sim-free, and iStockNow had said my nearest one didn't have it. But when an employee at the same store used his iPad yesterday afternoon, they did find they had that unicorn-like model in stock after all.

23. ryan1340 macrumors member

But the phone would be even more expensive then it already it. Manufacturing is not coming back to the US regardless of what was touted in this past election.

24. Karma*Police macrumors 68000

Not surprised. I was at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue last night after 10pm and it was bustling with activity. I saw quite a few iPhone sales during the 20+ minutes I was there while waiting to pick up my order which I placed online.

25. rain1ny Suspended

rain1ny

Apple is a dirty dirty company.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    What makes it so good, spec wise there are dozens of cheaper and better phones