Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is unlikely to reach iPhone 7 supply and demand equilibrium by the end of the December quarter, suggesting stock will remain tight through the holiday shopping season, according to Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster.

iphone-7-plus-colors.jpg

Munster checked 134 Apple retail stores in the United States for in-store iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus availability and found 47% of models he checked were available for pickup compared to 40% a month ago. By comparison, he said last year the iPhone 6s lineup was at 100% availability at this time.

iPhone 7 models remain more widely available than iPhone 7 Plus models by a significant margin. In a research note obtained by MacRumors, Munster said iPhone 7 Plus inventory remains constrained, with only 3% of SKUs available in the Apple retail stores he checked compared to 14% a month ago.

iphone-7-stock-piper-jaffray.jpg

Piper Jaffray said iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus inventory in China continues to be more constrained than on Apple's home turf. It found 16% total availability of SKUs at 96 China Unicom stores versus the 47% figure in the United States.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Plus Stock Expected to Remain Tight Through Holiday Shopping Season

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Wow, over 2 months since launch and the Plus model still shows 3-4 weeks.

Either there is some crazy demand, or maybe they are still supply constrained with some part that is specific to the Plus.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Apple is in a standoff with some of their big suppliers. They keep asking for more discounts, yet Apple keeps all the additional profit.

The suppliers are fed up - we'll give you the parts at the price and volume we quoted you. No more feebies/extra volume.
You do realize most of these suppliers are very replaceable, right? And the replaceable ones know that. They'll bend over for Apple every time.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
You do realize most of these suppliers are very replaceable, right? And the replaceable ones know that. They'll bend over for Apple every time.
They just have to watch out.
Apple doesn't want a exploding phone problem like Samsung had after Samsung put unrealistic requirements on their suppliers.

Reactions: coolfactor

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
That's annoying. My carrier is struggling to meet demand for the orders they received for the model I want. TBH I'm not sure I'll still want the phone if I'm kept waiting into the new year.

ryan1340

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2014
It took me about 14 days to get my 7+ from AT&T all the local apple store had was rose gold 256Gb but they had plenty of 7's in stock.

Reactions: determined09

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009

some of them, yes. The big ones, like Samsung, not really. Go see the OLED post from yesterday - if you want to source the best parts available, the ones Samsung makes, you'll pay for it.

Reactions: determined09

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I think the average consumer realizes that the iPhone 7 is just a darn good phone. Does it look significantly different? Not really unless you get one of the black colors. But unlike other iPhone models that I've went on here to complain about in the past, there's not much to say about the iPhone 7. It's just really good, and isn't really missing anything worth complaining about. If pressed I could probably come up with a list, such as full waterproofing, more improvements to low-light performance, deeper display black levels, maybe a bit more punch from the top speaker, and reduced bezels. But those are things that most people probably don't care a whole lot about. I feel like the thing finally has good enough waterproofing, good enough low-light performance, one of the best displays in the industry, finally has stereo speakers, and the battery life is finally at a point where I don't ever have to worry about it. The lack of a headphone jack is really the only con to this thing, and over time that will become less of an issue.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
That's annoying. My carrier is struggling to meet demand for the orders they received for the model I want. TBH I'm not sure I'll still want the phone if I'm kept waiting into the new year.
by the time you get it it will almost be September for the real upgrade. Just hold out a few months unless your phone is destroyed. I'm waiting it out. Not running around from store to store to find the phone I want or wait a month for it. Wait a few more months and I'll order the phone that shoulda been released in September.

tito2020

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Apple is in a standoff with some of their big suppliers. They keep asking for more discounts, yet Apple keeps all the additional profit.

The suppliers are fed up - we'll give you the parts at the price and volume we quoted you. No more feebies/extra volume.
That is why we need US jobs we wouldnt have to rely

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Just grabbed my Jet Black 256Gb at an Apple Store this morning!

I've just been checking iStockNow every morning and one showed up in my area. I wanted the 128GB but didn't want to wait any longer...

It'll be interesting to see sales numbers for the 7 over the next year. The 7 is arguably the worst, most controversial iPhone upgrade ever, and at a time when the competition is high, older iPhone models are increasing in longevity, and while the subsidized pricing structure is going away.

I for one am still rocking my 6+. I'm not a hater. The 7 is a great phone, but I no longer feel required to purchase every other year...

Ferc Kast

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2012
The Multiverse
Just grabbed my Jet Black 256Gb at an Apple Store this morning!

I've just been checking iStockNow every morning and one showed up in my area. I wanted the 128GB but didn't want to wait any longer...
Ironically, I checked that yesterday morning for a JB 7+ 128GB Sim-free, and iStockNow had said my nearest one didn't have it. But when an employee at the same store used his iPad yesterday afternoon, they did find they had that unicorn-like model in stock after all.

Reactions: friedmud

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Not surprised. I was at the Apple Store on 5th Avenue last night after 10pm and it was bustling with activity. I saw quite a few iPhone sales during the 20+ minutes I was there while waiting to pick up my order which I placed online.

rain1ny

Suspended
Apr 6, 2016
Apple is a dirty dirty company.
[doublepost=1479491463][/doublepost]
I think the average consumer realizes that the iPhone 7 is just a darn good phone. Does it look significantly different? Not really unless you get one of the black colors. But unlike other iPhone models that I've went on here to complain about in the past, there's not much to say about the iPhone 7. It's just really good, and isn't really missing anything worth complaining about. If pressed I could probably come up with a list, such as full waterproofing, more improvements to low-light performance, deeper display black levels, maybe a bit more punch from the top speaker, and reduced bezels. But those are things that most people probably don't care a whole lot about. I feel like the thing finally has good enough waterproofing, good enough low-light performance, one of the best displays in the industry, finally has stereo speakers, and the battery life is finally at a point where I don't ever have to worry about it. The lack of a headphone jack is really the only con to this thing, and over time that will become less of an issue.
What makes it so good, spec wise there are dozens of cheaper and better phones

Reactions: icanhazapple
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.