iPhone 7 Plus take longer to charge than 6 Plus?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by janeauburn, Jun 25, 2017.

1. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Does your iPhone 7 Plus take longer to charge than 6 Plus? Seems mine does.

2. Relentless Power, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017

Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Both my 6s Plus and 7 Plus charge equally to me. But I also use the iPad 12W charger, Which is a faster process to charge both of my iPhones.

3. youinc macrumors newbie

youinc

From 20% to Full, it takes 2 hours. iPhone 7 Plus, screen off.

4. malikkamran macrumors 6502

malikkamran

from dead iPhone 7 plus takes more than 3 hours

5. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Some of you still think that you hv to used up your battery power to as low as possible. I start charging my phone at 60%. That way I hv a shorter waiting time. Better start charging again when you aren't using for a period of time. It won't ruin the battery.

6. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

You guys know you can use a faster charger than the included 1amp iPhone brick right? As Relentless Power said - you can use a 10w or 12w iPad brick (2.4amps) and the phone will charge significantly faster than the 1amp iphone square brick.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/12-watt-vs-5-watt-charger-on-iphone-6-plus.1785460/

https://www.macrumors.com/2014/09/22/iphone-6-and-6-plus-charging/

I use Anker charging bricks when I'm not using my batteries --- charges really fast.

chilman is correct as well - don't drain battery all the way - plug in whenever and as often as you can. Memory effect is something from the NiCD and NiMH days.

7. JPack macrumors 65816

JPack

The 7 Plus has a larger capacity battery.

Your 6 Plus battery capacity has likely faded due to use and aging. Lower capacity due to unusable portion means less time is required to charge it.

You should always use the included 5W compact charger when possible. Less heat during charging is better for battery health, even if it means the charge takes longer.

8. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

You are right, slow charge does prolong the battery life. That is why I start charging at about 60-70% left and I don't wait until it is all the way to 20-30%. Charging early with still high reserve batt power is not harmful, it used to be like that on the older batt technology but not anymore. I used apple's cradle and everytime I stick it in the cradle is going to charge also. And it has never hurt my overall batt life span. A small difference but not significant drop in batt life doesn't bother me at all. I changed my phone to a newer model after 3 yrs max, by that time I just sell or give the old phone to someone. Enjoy using your phone, it is just a phone.