iPhone 7 Plus Users - how's your battery life so far?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Benz63amg, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

got my 7 plus yesterday and I'm draining it right now to the point where the device shuts off so that I can charge the device to 100% from 0 to do my first battery calibration sort of charge, my initial observation regarding the battery life isn't that great I have to say but I'd like to hear what you guys think of the batter on the 7 plus

Any secret power user tips to extend battery life on the iPhone 7 plus?

2. McBeresford macrumors regular

McBeresford

Turn down your brightness, reduce background app usage.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I would wait a few weeks before worrying about your battery. Give it time to let the software settle in. Hard to keep your hands off your new phone but all will calm down sooner or later.

4. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

That's true,
    I wanted to focus this thread on power user tips and tricks that can be contributed so that everyone can learn and save battery life even further

5. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

I will be very dissapointed if my watch does not last the whole day and then some. My AW1 would always have at least 40% remaining, the AW2 should be as good if not better. Not a power user here but I am likley more than the average user.

6. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

As far as the Apple Watch is concerned the battery life is excellent, lasts me a day and a half easy, the iPhone and the iPhone 7 Plus is another story though lol, it's strange because I'm coming from a 4.7inch iPhone 6s to the iPhone 7 plus which is supposed to have much better battery life

I did the reset network settings as well just in case because I read that sometimes that helps after a backup restore and is a recommended procedure in general agreeing restoring from a backup

7. noobinator macrumors 601

My battery is equal too or a bit better than my 6s Plus.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Sometimes you will use lots of power if you have a bad signal. My 7+ arrives tomorrow if UPS is correct and AW2 arrives the next day! CHRISTMAS!

9. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Congrats man, I got the 7 plus yesterday, I'm keeping my SS Apple Watch 1, the series 2 features don't appeal to me too much for me to sell mine and lose nearly 300$ to upgrade, maybe next year if the Apple Watch gets a more drastic upgrade perhaps I'll get the Apple Watch 3

And yes I heard about bad signal affecting battery life

10. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

A family member "claimed" my AW1 so I went for the AW2

11. TheRock88 macrumors member

On my first full charge and the battery is a little better than my 6+ (battery is at about 88% around lunch time compared to my 6+ which is usually around 82%)

12. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Basically 10hrs of usage, almost 30 hrs standby.

Attached Files:

13. michael31986 macrumors 68040

does anyone use background app refresh? i always turn it off. i dont' see how it makes a difference.

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I wouldnt trust any of these battery reviews so soon after release. The phone is new, and that means you are looking/ poking/ prodding/ testing something all the time. I'd come back in a month after the novelty wears off to get a realistic estimate of battery life.

15. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

That's the first I turn off when I get a new iPhone, its a major battery drain, I don't need apps to be refreshing data in the background

16. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

10-12 hours just like my 6+.

17. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

IMG_0722.PNG IMG_0723.PNG
    This was my 7+ yesterday. About the same as my 6S+ when it was new

18. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

My 7 plus is definitely underperforming compared to my 6s plus. I did restore from backup and then reset all settings, which recently worked on a 6s plus no problem, but debating if I should do a set up as new before I exchange the phone.

I selectively have (and always have had) background refresh for ~6-7 apps enabled, Wifi/BT (connected to AW) always on, good LTE signal in Manhattan. Majority of use is safari/imessage/twitter so not anything crazy, and always have used Auto-Brightness. Occasional camera use.

Got the phone Friday, feel like if it were background indexing or downloading, that should be done by now. Right now I'm dying around 6 hours usage and 10-11 hours standby; 6s plus would comfortably get me to 8-9 hours usage (more on the lower side if LTE streaming Netflix for some time).

6s plus battery comparison has been on iOS 10 as well.

19. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

a few days have gone by, still not too impressed with the battery life on my iPhone 7 Plus to be honest, i disabled Compass calibration as well since i rarely use Map Apps, all location services except the motion data for health tracking

Would disabling compass calibration also affect health data readings such as steps etc ? i have an apple watch but i know that the iPhone measures these things as well right?

20. lax28 macrumors regular

lax28

So far (only 3 days) my 7 plus is does not seem to be lasting as long as my 6s plus, but honestly it is too early to tell. After a few weeks, it may be more telling. If it continues I think I am going to disable the raise to wake, as I notice moving phone around screen seems to be on often, probably being waken up more often. The extra screen time being on could be a cause for why it seems the battery doesn't last as long. It is not much shorter, but I was expecting an improvement not a little less time.

21. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

I disabled raise to wake as well

22. RogerEast macrumors regular

Much better than my two year old 6+ (I used that thing way too much and didn't take good care of the battery), but naturally it's not lasting as long as it can do because I'm tinkering with it every five minutes. It'll settle in time.

23. Awesomesince86 macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure draining from 100-0% is exactly what you don't want to do...at least not very often. Li-ion batteries don't like operating in the 0-20% and 80-100% zones, at least in terms of battery wear over time.

24. HoosBruce macrumors 6502a

My 7 Plus is not lasting as long as the 6S Plus. Also my 6S Plus began dwindling in battery life after the iOS 10 betas were released so many it has something to do with that. Idk but I can literally watch it drain

25. Nikhil72 macrumors 6502a

I restored as new and now it's doing fantastic, better than my 6splus. Not sure why. 50 minutes of Netflix on LTE yesterday lost me 9% at auto with BT headphones