Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
Do you think it's worth the upgrade? Interested in seeing opinions. My battery life is the same as iOS 10 on my 7+. I tested out the 8+ and performance seems a little better on the 7+ but the screen is nice on the 8+. Still not worth it to me.

protoxx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2013
1 generation is rarely a good upgrade financially. Unless there is a large technical change. Such as 3g to 4g or next 5g.

Cayden

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2014
Utah
I think it was well worth the upgrade. I tested the 8+ running 11.0 vs my 7+ running 10.3.3 and the 8+ was loads faster both in benchmarks and real world usage. Battery life is significantly better, the new camera blows the old one away, wireless charging is great, True Tone makes the screen look way better. Tons of reasons to upgrade imo

Markgnyc2

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2013
I have a 7+, my wife had a 6s+ and just upgraded to the 8+. It was a good upgrade for her just for the camera, but for me, when using the 8+, its exactly like using the 7+ (except for the portrait lighting). I was going to consider the upgrade, but after using it, there just isn't enough difference to make it worth it. Either I will get the X or keep the 7+ for another year.

GeeMillz22

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
West Coast
You have to really value one of its few upgrades...glass back, wireless charging, true tone screen, A11 processor (AR-proof), 4K 60fps. If you don’t truly value one or more of those things then it really isn’t worth. The 7+ is a beast. The 8+ just refines it a bit more. 7s really. I bought one lol

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I upgraded from my 7 plus to an 8 plus but that's because my 7 plus took a ride in the washer in my pants pocket and the insurance didn't have any 256gb 7 pluses left and gave me a check to buy a new iPhone... There really isn't much difference to me the true tone just makes the display warmer and the speed is negligible to me. The wireless charging is pretty awesome to have I will say. My coworker has a Galaxy and she has a wireless charging pad on her desk and if I forget to charge it at home its cool I can just put my phone on the pad and don't have to remember to bring my lightning cable.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I think you are correct. There just isn’t that big a jump between 7+ and 8+. I went from 6s to 8+ and really notice the difference.

Same... 6s Plus to 8 Plus. Huge upgrade in terms of hardware/battery life.

For the first time ever I didn't yearly upgrade last year. I didn't feel going to the 7 last year was worth it... and I'd probably feel the same if I were going from 7 to 8 this year.

Depending on how the X v2 looks next year I may upgrade... but right now if I had to put money on it I'd say I'll be keeping the 8 Plus for 2 years. Hardware is so advanced in today's world that yearly upgrades just don't make a lot of sense anymore.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think you are correct. There just isn’t that big a jump between 7+ and 8+. I went from 6s to 8+ and really notice the difference.

I agree. As a 7 Plus owner, I couldn't find reason enough to upgrade to the 8, even though I think it's a nice phone. But for those upgrading from under the iPhone 7, there is more to be had with the iPhone 8 and likely more appreciated in terms of features.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I agree. As a 7 Plus owner, I couldn't find reason enough to upgrade to the 8, even though I think it's a nice phone. But for those upgrading from under the iPhone 7, there is more to be had with the iPhone 8 and likely more appreciated in terms of features.

I really hate the glass back. That's my biggest issue. I'll drop it and it will break. I've seen drop tests and the 8 and 8 Plus fail due to the glass. I believe if someone is content with their phone, why upgrade. Everyone is different. The iPhone X is worse to me. I like the Touch ID and I hope they don't get rid of it all together.

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I really hate the glass back. That's my biggest issue. I'll drop it and it will break. I've seen drop tests and the 8 and 8 Plus fail due to the glass.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L1F1OV6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've dropped mine twice now on the concrete floors at work... and my previous iPhones using the same type case many more times on the floors at work.

Never shattered any glass... never damaged any exterior part of the phone.

Not a bad deal for $8.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I really hate the glass back. That's my biggest issue. I'll drop it and it will break. I've seen drop tests and the 8 and 8 Plus fail due to the glass. I believe if someone is content with their phone, why upgrade. Everyone is different. The iPhone X is worse to me. I like the Touch ID and I hope they don't get rid of it all together.

I don't mind the glass back, I think it gives it more of a grip then the aluminum. I thought the aluminum to be Slippery in the hand at times. But I guess if somebody was really concerned about breaking the iPhone or dropping it, but obviously there are cases for those situations.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Same... 6s Plus to 8 Plus. Huge upgrade in terms of hardware/battery life.

For the first time ever I didn't yearly upgrade last year. I didn't feel going to the 7 last year was worth it... and I'd probably feel the same if I were going from 7 to 8 this year.

Depending on how the X v2 looks next year I may upgrade... but right now if I had to put money on it I'd say I'll be keeping the 8 Plus for 2 years. Hardware is so advanced in today's world that yearly upgrades just don't make a lot of sense anymore.
I made the same move and agree with everything you mentioned here, the most noticeable difference for me was also the battery life, which had been suffering for a while on the 6S Plus. My thoughts are waiting at least until next year before making the switch to the X, let it get all the bugs worked out then take advantage of the payment program and just upgrade.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I still have both, and I'll say this : Keep your 7+ on iOS 10, at least for now!

As for the 7+ Vs 8+, I upgraded for the camera. Been taking a lot of pictures with both 7+ and 8+, and still deciding if the difference is worth the upgrade. AR, Inductive charging, faster processor, TT, etc.. eh.. the 8+ is a bit snappier (iOS 11.0.2 ) but not significantly so.

I'm also appreciating the (slightly) louder speakers.

Basically, I'm still 50/50 on the upgrade.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
I still have both, and I'll say this : Keep your 7+ on iOS 10, at least for now!

As for the 7+ Vs 8+, I upgraded for the camera. Been taking a lot of pictures with both 7+ and 8+, and still deciding if the difference is worth the upgrade. AR, Inductive charging, faster processor, TT, etc.. eh.. the 8+ is a bit snappier (iOS 11.0.2 ) but not significantly so.

It's actually on iOS 11. I love iOS 11 and couldn't hold back. But I honestly don't see any negative differences, including battery life.

sdwaltz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
Yeah, they're really really similar. As other replies have mentioned, unless some of the new features are really important to you, might as well stick with the 7 Plus.

I had a 7 and moved to an 8 Plus because I wanted to try the large screen and wanted the dual camera, and if I was going to buy a phone I figured I'd get the newest version of it. If I had a 7 Plus before RATHER than a 7, I'd have stayed put.

My .02

Reactions: GuruZac

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
I upgraded from the 7+ to the 8+ and to me it was totally worth it. The speed, true tone display and camera are a major win in my book. The 7/7+ camera was a real disappointment for me but the 8/8+ camera has been a major upgrade in my eyes. I initially wanted the X but no Touch ID and that ugly a$$ notch isn't worth the extra $$$. Besides I'd rather upgrade to the new X in 2018, I don't like jumping ship to a first generation device.

Reactions: Freakonomics101

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015

iOS 11 was a battery killer for my iPhone 6S Plus (had to charge 3 times a day) and by the time I decided to downgrade back to 10 I didn't have a backup so I just chalked it up as a loss. However, on the 8 Plus I'm having no issues at all and the battery is performing great.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
Do you think it's worth the upgrade? Interested in seeing opinions. My battery life is the same as iOS 10 on my 7+. I tested out the 8+ and performance seems a little better on the 7+ but the screen is nice on the 8+. Still not worth it to me.

I am going to upgrade from 6S+ to 7+ dont like the 8 I want good metal cast so the 7 is the last mohican

Reactions: Diorama

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 6, 2014
However, on the 8 Plus I'm having no issues at all and the battery is performing great.

Are you on iOS 11.1 beta 1 or the public version 11.0.2? I just remembered beta 2 is out today but beta 1 has given me no battery life issues since I disabled Assistive Touch. When enabled, oh my....

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I upgraded from the 7+ to the 8+ and to me it was totally worth it. The speed, true tone display and camera are a major win in my book. The 7/7+ camera was a real disappointment for me but the 8/8+ camera has been a major upgrade in my eyes.

Can you elaborate further why you feel the 7+ camera was a real disappointment and how the 8+ camera has been a major upgrade?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.