iPhone 7 plus - who's getting it just for the camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by facemeat, Sep 7, 2016.

1. facemeat macrumors member

I have the regular 6S, previously owner of the plus model.
    I'll probably be waiting for reviews before impulse buying the larger model, but I'm considering going back to the behemoth of a phone just for dual setup.

TLDR: Is anyone else getting the plus model just for the camera?

Edit: Swapped from the plus to the regular because of the size, considering going since my phone is my main camera, unless I actually bring my DSLR.

2. kingalien macrumors regular

kingalien

3. ArkieBiker macrumors regular

ArkieBiker

Yes...I'm a photographer. Not that this will replace my expensive DSLR's, but very impressed with the dual camera system and especially the Portrait Mode.

4. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I may play with a camera in store. The camera is legitimately the only interesting feature for me. So I'm giving up wired headphones* for a better camera. I'll have to see how good the camera is to be willing to do that.

*Yes, i know there's an adapter. My experience with Apple branded cables is that it won't lest me six months in the gym. I'd almost certainly need a more rugged third party adapter out the door.

5. urkel macrumors 68030

Me. Its pretty much the only feature that I was impressed with, but I've been hoping for something like this for so long that I'm perfectly willing to make an unnecessary upgrade.

6. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68000

co.ag.2005

I'm getting for the camera for sure but I do like the bigger phones now. Been using a Nexus 6 and now Nexus 6p as a backup device and like the size of those. I do wish they'd make the form factor smaller ala the Note 7 but I assume they'll do that next year. Come on Oct 9! :)

7. tommysm macrumors 6502a

tommysm

I actually sold my dslr and miss it so much, so I have to get the iPhone 7 plus.

8. Akack macrumors 6502a

Nope, still going to get the 7 since I don't want a phone that big. If they shrink the overall footprint/bezels on the Plus then I would consider it. I tried the 6Plus and just too bulky for my tastes.

9. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

I really dislike large phones, but pretty much the two things I use my phone for anymore are photos and in the car for music and navigation - both of which are better with the larger device. We'll see. I hate having to carry such a large device.

10. kaielement, Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

kaielement macrumors 65816

I feel the same way! I don't want to have to buy the larger phone just for the better camera :( Any way I am so torn on what to do!

11. facemeat thread starter macrumors member

Same dilemma. Audio and camera is what I mostly use my phone for, prefer the size of the regular 6(7) so eh, I'll see what I end up with.

12. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

I'm thinking about it. I hate the Plus. First of all, my 6 Plus was a lemon. It crashed all the time. But that's besides the point. The main reason I don't like it is that it's just too big. But I can't deny how incredible that new camera is. What should I do? It was like a breath of fresh air when I went down in size from the 6 Plus to the 6s. I'm worried it has been so long that I've forgotten how much I truly dislike that size. I mean, I remember not liking it, but I'm worried I'm going to massively regret it again. That freaking camera though…

13. facemeat thread starter macrumors member

Maybe we'll see it come to the 7S, one can hope at least?

14. KrisLord macrumors 65816

I'm going from a 6S to a 7+

I used to enjoy photography but lately I don't have the passion, I'm too lazy to go out specifically to take pictures so all my pictures end up being taken on my phone. I've sold my Nikon D5300 as it's been used once in 3 months.

I'd rather have a better camera in my phone that's in my pocket at all times than an SLR left at home.

15. caelius macrumors regular

caelius

Really thought about it, since that dual camera is just incredible. But I just can't stand that huge footprint...

16. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

If I choose to upgrade, it will be for the camera. The display seems nice as well.

17. shayneox macrumors member

shayneox

I'm another in for the camera....actually two in...my wife wants it as well.

18. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Yeah, maybe I'm just doomed to cycle between iPhone sizes forever, haha. Or maybe we'll just get the iPhone 8 (or perhaps new name) next year with that rumored big redesign.

19. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

I am. It looks like a big enough improvement to get it over the 7. I'm coming from a 6 and the camera was going to be the deciding factor of which I got, it looks impressive.

20. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Still thinking about it but would not get the 7+, the only difference is a telephoto lens ( not 1.8 but 2.8 ) and faux shallow depth of field. I have the 6 and it is fine, no issues.

About the only thing I use my phone camera for is goof off pics, location scouting and utilitarian shots like "Hey honey, is this the right flour?" at the grocery store, etc. No matter where I go, I am one of the only full time pros I know who *always* has a dedicated camera with me, usually a Leica M3, M6, M240 or a Rolleiflex. In fact, I have over 140K in gear, computer equipment and darkroom equipment, that stuff is not going to waste, lol!

As good as these cameras are getting, they will never be able to compete with my dedicated equipment.

21. Neebee macrumors 6502a

Apple will do it's darnest to convince you otherwise even if their camera is inferior to DSLRs.

22. Macshroomer macrumors 65816

Macshroomer

Yep. But, to their credit, they did utterly decimate the mainstream point and shoot market, the whole "The best camera is the one you have with you" thing.

23. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

The double camera is the coolest thing about today's announcement, to me. Unfortunately, I want a phone smaller than my iPhone 6, not larger, so I don't have a choice.

24. Neebee macrumors 6502a

you bet. i dont know how they did it. their advertising wasn't great imo. and personally i found for the most part android cameras took better pictures than iphone.