Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding that will individually shield most of the device's major chips, helping to maintain the iPhone's performance as its power and complexity and thus potential for interference increases (via ETNews). The company has used EMI shielding on large portions of the iPhone's circuit board in the past, and a few individual chips have included their own shielding, but the iPhone 7 will apparently include a broader array of single-chip EMI shields, from radio frequency to wireless LAN and Bluetooth chips.

South Korean manufacturers StatsChipPac and Amkor are both said to be responsible for the production of the EMI shielding process on the iPhone 7 line. The cost of that production is also predicted to increase with the intricacies introduced using the technology.

Amkor-Technology.jpg
A production line in Amkor Technology

"As clock signals of digital chips have increased and as diverse functions such as 3D-touch and others have recently added, reduction of electromagnetic waves have emerged as major topic of this industry." said a representative of this industry. "As other Smartphone businesses might be looking to apply EMI Shield technology to major chips just as Apple did, packaging and other related equipment industries will benefit a lot from this."
According to the report, Apple decided to use the EMI shielding technology due to its effectiveness in preventing interference in wireless communication. Individual EMI shields can also allow for "more elaborate" and more densely packed circuit boards allowing for smaller devices or larger batteries. Similar EMI shielding was applied to the S1 chip package used in the Apple Watch last year

In regards to the general manufacturing of the next-generation iPhone, today a report stated that Apple has already lined up its partners for both the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus. Foxconn and Wistron are said to be heading up production on the 5.5-inch device, while Foxconn will join Pegatron in fulfilling orders for the 4.7-inch smartphone.

Article Link: iPhone 7 Said to Expand Use of Single-Chip Electromagnetic Shielding

ElectroBricks

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Previous Incorrect Statement: The health aspect of this is really intriguing. While various studies have not concluded whether electromagnetic radiation is bad, Apple added, interestingly enough, the "keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) away from the body" message in the iPhone 4's Important Product Information Guide. Also note that the Apple Watch already has this feature and they feel comfortable not to include this message in any of its documentation. Regardless, this new process, if implemented, should lower radiation coming from the iPhone 7 and it never hurts to be "safe than sorry."

Corrected Version: I'm going to defer as to what is going on to to kdarling:
Individual chips aren't the reason it's suggested to keep an iPhone from touching your head. It's because of the high SAR from the top cellular antenna.

So, I made an ignorant statement about how the reduction of electromagnetic radiation for the chip might provide health benefits. Instead, this really won't make any difference in the radiation output of the device. The top cellular antenna is really what is outputting, possibly harmful, radiation. As a result, this change is irrelevant to that. Thanks kdarling for letting me know! (Sorry mods for changing the post, but I thought it was important that I not give false information.)

TL;DR: The top cellular antenna is really what is outputting, possibly harmful, radiation so this possible change is irrelevant to that.

Last edited:

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
they need shielding if they go wireless charging.
So - this indicates clearly that wireless charging will be implemented in iP7.

well - other reason might/could be they already discovered a weak point for their contactless payment feature (apple pay) …. or both at the same time..….

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
The health aspect of this is really intriguing. While various studies have not concluded whether electromagnetic radiation is bad, Apple added, interestingly enough, the "keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) away from the body" message in the iPhone 4's Important Product Information Guide. Also note that the Apple Watch already has this feature and they feel comfortable not to include this message in any of its documentation. Regardless, this new process, if implemented, should lower radiation coming from the iPhone 7 and it never hurts to be "safe than sorry."

TL;DR: Reduction of electromagnetic radiation might provide health benefits

Pretty sure it has nothing to do with that since that is completely crap nonsense and not good science.

Reactions: Kissaragi

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
This is impossible because we all know Apple doesn't innovate.

This will still be the truth.

wireless charging is neither a new technology nor was it developed by apple - they just adapted.
Or they stole some tech - as they did already before...

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
they need shielding if they go wireless charging.
So - this indicates clearly that wireless charging will be implemented in iP7.

They're already shielding the components that would need to be shielded for that.

Individual shielding would get you a lot of things.
  • Fewer and/or smaller passive components. If shielding is meeting your EMI needs, you can cut back on components used for filtering.
  • If you use fewer components for filtering, you're generally wasting less power with voltage drops through components necessary to achieve your filtering requirements.
  • You've just increased the mass and surface area of a big hunk of metal. That will give a better thermal path for some circuits and give general thermal relief.
  • Better performance. Of course, with better shielding, circuits will have extended usable ranges of operation.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This will still be the truth.

wireless charging is neither a new technology nor was it developed by apple - they just adapted.
Or they stole some tech - as they did already before...

I wasn't talking about wireless charging. I was talking about the comprehensive EMI shielding that will become ubiquitous after Apple releases their solution. We know as this has also happened before.

Love people who are quick to point out Apple's borrowed ideas, but turn their blinders on when it comes to the reverse.

Reactions: American Hero

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
I wasn't talking about wireless charging. I was talking about the comprehensive EMI shielding that will become ubiquitous after Apple releases their solution. We know as this has also happened before.

Love people who are quick to point out Apple's borrowed ideas, but turn their blinders on when it comes to the reverse.

Show me just one single posting of mine where i denied the "reverse"… You will be unable to do so.

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
That production shed looks the most inhuman space I have ever seen.

One of the unfortunate byproducts of clean rooms for manufacturing electronics.
On the other hand there are no suicide nets at any of Intel's fabs.
[doublepost=1455644277][/doublepost]
Could just do with a Samsung shield now to stop the copying.

For Apple copying large phones, tablets, wireless charging and styli.
Absolutely.

Adithya007

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2015
Will Safari tabs open without reloading?
[doublepost=1455644952][/doublepost]Will Safari be snappier?

Reactions: sinar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.