Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
I notice a brand new iPhone 7 tends to change brightness or color luminance randomly. I do not have auto-brightness enabled, but it seems glitchy i'll download something from the iTunes store or it will be sitting on the home screen and looks like its trying to get brighter (not the autodim thing) but it does little bright bursts.
My iPhone 6 is way brighter/bluer than the yellow stained iP7, but not really too worried about it right now...

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I noticed that too on my 7 Plus. I have autobrightness off too but it still changes and is never as bright as my 6 Plus....miss it too. Only outside in the sun with auto on does it get brighter.

janeczek

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Hi guys, did you have the solution for the dim screen in iphone7? I am very disappointed what apple do with the new model and the say that it should be 25% brighter than 6S !!

I got today for my wife the new iphone 7 and the screen is much more darker then in the iphone 6 she have ! Nay, I have also Xiaomi Redmi 3S (200 EUR cell phone) and the screen looks much better and brighter then in the iphone 7 .... I have no words for that

On the left: Iphone 6, on the right Iphone 7. When autobright tourn on - the same

ip7ff.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Dominant

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Hi guys, did you have the solution for the dim screen in iphone7? I am very disappointed what apple do with the new model and the say that it should be 25% brighter than 6S !!

I got today for my wife the new iphone 7 and the screen is much more darker then in the iphone 6 she have ! Nay, I have also Xiaomi Redmi 3S (200 EUR cell phone) and the screen looks much better and brighter then in the iphone 7 .... I have no words for that

On the left: Iphone 6, on the right Iphone 7. When autobright tourn on - the same

ip7ff.jpg

You're not alone. It's actually pretty depressing. I exchanged literally 9 iPhones at the Apple Store before they said they ran out and I had to come the next day to exchange again. And yes, all 9 iPhones they gave me that I kept on exchanging all had the nasty yellow tint with a really low brightness.

I decided to not go back... enjoying my 6S for now. Might go back in a couple weeks because I just want the 7. But the screen is bothering me.

Blah.

janeczek

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2016
Heh... yes, this is depressing...
We gave up with my wife, we checked 5 iphones 7 in our ispots in Poland and every iphone 7 has yellow screen and dim screen.

we returned it, my wife bought new 6S (she has 2 years old 6) (yes, with very bright screen). Maybe the iphone 8 will be better...

Im really disappointed

Category 5

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2011
Heh... yes, this is depressing...
We gave up with my wife, we checked 5 iphones 7 in our ispots in Poland and every iphone 7 has yellow screen and dim screen.

we returned it, my wife bought new 6S (she has 2 years old 6) (yes, with very bright screen). Maybe the iphone 8 will be better...

Im really disappointed

I had the same feeling when I got my matte black 7 plus. Screen seemed very dim and max brightness did not get me where i wanted always. Also, my Mom has a 7 plus that she got a few weeks before me, and hers seemed brighter. Otherwise the screen looked good, but yellow by comparison.

Well I did the update yesterday and not sure if that fixed it but now my 7 is brighter than my 6 plus. In fact, it looks amazing. Auto brightness was setting it too low always, and even that seems fixed. Every time I turn the phone on I marvel at the screen. Went to Best Buy to sompare mine to some there, and mine is yellower, but just as bright as every 7 and brighter than the 6s. Something fixed itself somehow.

I guess the brightness issue is really software related. the yellowish screen is probably due to the laminating adhesive, as was the case with past devices that used a laminated screen. That usually clears up after a few weeks. The 7 is still warmer than the 6, which looks way too blue to me now, but that's because it's calibrated now to D65 to make the most of the wide color gamut and for more accurate colors.

Summary - My 7 Plus Matte Black was disappointingly dark and somehow it's fixed itself and looks amazing now.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
Agreed. I just did a hard reset and it's still darker. I thought it was suppose to be brighter. Not liking this.
Try setting Display Zoom to Zoomed restart and then set it back. That fixed the brightness issue for me

Sen06

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
I "zoomed" my display, and presto, Brightness! I have had the phone on for about two hours also. Whew! It's a pain having to go through all these adjustments to get the new phone going after a restore from a backup. Even if it's just once a year. Surely it can be easier...

Another observation: It seems that the screen went back to "dull". But once the apps stopped re-loading, it's back to "bright".

Hei i didn't get what you said, i've tried to zoom it and made it back to standard, then nothing's happened -.- could u please explain it to me in detail?

horatiub

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
On the left iPhone 7 JetBlack AT&T week 35 | on the right, iPhone 7 Jetblack SIM-free week 42

The week 35 has a slightly more cooler screen, close to the 6S, while week 42, maybe just a bit more warm.

I guess they're both pretty good considering the stories I've read on here, but wanted to get an opinion.

IMG_4090.JPG IMG_4091.JPG IMG_4092.JPG IMG_4093.JPG

FoxD

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2010
I really think the 10.1 patch helped some, it seems to get a little brighter and not quite as warm/yellow.

That said, some are still better than others of course.

horatiub

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
I really think the 10.1 patch helped some, it seems to get a little brighter and not quite as warm/yellow.

That said, some are still better than others of course.

Not sure if it did, or just better screens. I guess I'm fortunate to have two decent ones. Still debating if I should keep the SIM-free one, which has more value down the road, or the AT&T one with a slightly cooler screen.

Phillybizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Add mine to the yellow tint screen. Tested it against a couple of 7s in store and they were all more like my old 6s, cooler and blue.

I thought it was just me..

joe guillian

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2013
Add mine to the yellow tint screen. Tested it against a couple of 7s in store and they were all more like my old 6s, cooler and blue.

I thought it was just me..

I heard that they are using a specific iOS version dedicated for the displayed iPhones and I'm just wondering if this iOS version would bring a different color adjustment to get them brighter and cooler? (Like we can do with display accommodation)... Indeed I'm not sure 100% but that would possibly explain why those units looks all very white/blue ...

Vhem

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2016
Hi i experienced the same problem when I got my phone. I just wanted to share this & help. Just Open the Settings ➡️ Go to General ➡️ Then Accessibility ➡️ Tap on Display Accomodations ➡️ Tap on the Color Filters ➡️ Select the Color tint option from the filter list then adjust the hue to be less yellow by sliding the Hue bar , move it around until your screen is closer to the color hue you are looking for. You can also slide the intensity filter to low setting for a more subtle color correction. Here's the pictures of my iPhone 7 and iPhone 6 Plus . It may not be the same like iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus but I hope it will help a little :) .On the left Iphone 7 on the right IPhone 6 Plus.
FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg

Last edited:

Mr. Dominant

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
Yeaaaaaaaah, so I bought 12 iPhone 7 black and silvers. Every single one was warmer than my 6S in a not so pleasing way. I returned them all. Surprisingly, they didn't say anything to me when I returned them. But I ended up telling them why I did, and the Apple person was like, "I could care less."

I'm thinking about buying 10 7+'s this time, since I've had bad luck with 28 normal 7's so far. The only problem is, I'll have to wait 3-5 weeks for them. The normal 7's are always in stock at my nearest Apple Store, but there is NEVER any 7+'s in stock at ANY of the 3 nearby Apple stores around me.

Good grief, I'm pretty disappointed.

Let the search continue, I guess.

evorc

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Yeaaaaaaaah, so I bought 12 iPhone 7 black and silvers. Every single one was warmer than my 6S in a not so pleasing way. I returned them all. Surprisingly, they didn't say anything to me when I returned them. But I ended up telling them why I did, and the Apple person was like, "I could care less."

I'm thinking about buying 10 7+'s this time, since I've had bad luck with 28 normal 7's so far. The only problem is, I'll have to wait 3-5 weeks for them. The normal 7's are always in stock at my nearest Apple Store, but there is NEVER any 7+'s in stock at ANY of the 3 nearby Apple stores around me.

Good grief, I'm pretty disappointed.

Let the search continue, I guess.

That's just ridiculous going thru all that trouble.

kid.icarus

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Well, I'm on my second 7 Plus. First one (week 40) had a pinkish tint on the left side and especially on the upper corner. Very annoying. I returned it within the first 14 days after purchase. Though...the screen was very bright and not yellow at all (just a light tint warmer than my and my husbands iPhone 6 and iPad Air). Replacement device (week 43) has a beautiful screen...bright, no yellow, no tint and also only a (barely noticeable) warmer colour. I really love it and it's much nicer than my iP 6 screen because of better contrast and colours. I was very eased because I always had screen problems with my devices.

I've seen 5 iPhone 7 now: my 2 7+, and 3 iP 7. All the three 7 have flawless screens, which are bright, not yellow at all and no tints.
Thus I can say there are really good ones out there!

Last edited:

Mr. Dominant

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2016
You're giving me hope!

I've seen nearly 30 iPhone 7, and not a single one has been good, they were all yellow. It's been a struggle.

I haven't tried any 7+'s yet. Will start that journey in a couple days when I put the orders in.

Wish me luck.

Well, I'm on my second 7 Plus. First one (week 40) had a pinkish tint on the left side and expecially on the upper corner. Very annoying. I returned it within the first 14 days after purchase. Though...the screen was very bright and not yellow at all (just a light tint warmer than my and my husbands iPhone 6 and iPad Air). Replacement device (week 43) has a beautiful screen...bright, no yellow, no tint and also only a (barely noticeable) warmer colour. I really love it and it's much nicer than my iP 6 screen because of better contrast and colours. I was very eased because I always had screen problems with my devices.

I've seen 5 iPhone 7 now: my 2 7+, and 3 iP 7. All the three 7 have flawless screens, which are bright, not yellow at all and no tints.
Thus I can say there are really good ones out there!

kid.icarus

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
I keep my fingers crossed for you!!

What is strange: in the german forum there are no complaints because of yellow screens or tints. Maybe there are different charges for different countries?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.