iPhone 7 suddenly goes dead

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by raiderz1971, Nov 17, 2016.

1. raiderz1971 macrumors newbie

My iPhone 7 now and again suddenly goes dead, can't press any of the buttons to wake it, can't hard reset etc, battery always between 50 to 100%.

The only way to get it fired up again is to plug the charger in for literally a second until the apple logo appears, then it starts and operates as normal.

Anyone got any ideas on this??

2. Reno Raines macrumors 6502a

Kinda sounds like the 6/6+ issue in China. No ideas off the top of my head.

3. C DM macrumors Westmere

Have you tried the hard reset method for a longer period of time, like 20-30 seconds?

4. raiderz1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, nothing, the only way to get it back alive is plug the charger in for a few seconds. It then starts up as if it's been turned off with the apple logo.

5. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

6. Radon87000 macrumors 603

Just confirming.You do know the hard reset button combinations are different for the 7 right?

7. raiderz1971 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes down volume button and power button.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 18, 2016 ---
    Well I'm sorry but I couldn't find an answer, all of them say do a hard reset, which I've tried.

8. unclemax macrumors regular

Mostly 6s with some 6 affected. And not just in China but everywhere really. Here’s the topic:

iPhone 6s turning off at 10-20%

9. pmau macrumors 65816

Let me just say that battery technology has limits if you use too few cells and make these cells thinner and thinner.
    A battery has to provide a stable current to the voltage regulators at all times to ensure any device can run.
    Every single factor, like temperature, power drawn from the cells, etc. will affect these fragile chemical containers.

What I'm getting at here: In the old days people build battery packs with loads of cells and thicker materials just because the quality and reliability was inferior. They had much more headroom to operate.

Todays batteries are designed much closer to physical limits.
    As long as manufacturers continue the thinner, smaller and higher energy density road, we will see more and more products that either fail right from the start or will be electronic waste one year later.

This is sad news for everyone.
    And it's not an iPhone problem at all.

10. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

No worries. I am experiencing the same.

11. GalaDaliGirl macrumors regular

Of course it's an iPhone problem. Are you saying it's washing machine problem?

12. pmau macrumors 65816

You intentionally misinterpret my words ... fine.
    It is an iPhone Problem today, but it's a design problem that is not specifically iPhone-only.
    Please re-read what I wrote.