Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
My iPhone 6s Plus with the A9 is now a year old, and just received a major OS update with many new features, yet it is still so fast and responsive that I never, ever say "gosh, I wish my phone were faster" or "this is taking too long -- I need to go do this task on a real computer" (which I used to say often with the A8 and prior iPhones). It just flies through every single task.

And in a few weeks, I'll have an iPhone 7 Plus with the A10 which is even faster, plus more battery efficient, and with another GB of RAM.

Apple is beating Samsung soundly in the CPU race, and pulling further away each year.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
The only reason why I really like these tests, even though they aren't really all that scientific is because it shows that 8GB of ram or whatever Android devices have now days is completely worthless. 2GB of RAM is more than enough if the system is efficient. Its now about the numbers!

Reactions: HEK and Jetcat3

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013

Attachments

• iphone7vss7edge.JPG
    iphone7vss7edge.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 207
Reactions: HEK and Jetcat3

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I won't be buying another Samsung device for a very long time. It's because they don't take software optimization and major updates seriously. Android on a Note 7 could kick major butt if they tried harder.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I'm only really interested in how fast heavy content websites load, and how often open apps & browser tabs reload. All other test stats are meaningless in real world usage for me.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
I'm only really interested in how fast heavy content websites load, and how often open apps & browser tabs reload. All other test stats are meaningless in real world usage for me.
Did you not see him go back to every app? Every app was pretty much ready to go.

Reactions: HEK

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Did you not see him go back to every app? Every app was pretty much ready to go.
Yes. I'm just saying that most tests don't really mimic real world usage. I mean, who cares that the i7 can 'lap' the Note 7 whilst doing some stupid routine? If the Note 7 opens websites quickly and keeps a fair few browser tabs in RAM then it works perfectly well enough for me. However, Samsung phones have pretty poor RAM management and the 6S/7 iPhones are pretty good in this respect. Having owned a (dreadful in this regard) 6+ I now have RAM management towards the very top of my list of requirements.

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Yes. I'm just saying that most tests don't really mimic real world usage. I mean, who cares that the i7 can 'lap' the Note 7 whilst doing some stupid routine? If the Note 7 opens websites quickly and keeps a fair few browser tabs in RAM then it works perfectly well enough for me. However, Samsung phones have pretty poor RAM management and the 6S/7 iPhones are pretty good in this respect. Having owned a (dreadful in this regard) 6+ I now have RAM management towards the very top of my list of requirements.

I have never owned a Note 7, but can confidently report that my 6s Plus can load any website essentially as fast as my one year old Core I5 laptop, and keeps many tabs in memory. I perceive no compromise in performance at all when using my iPhone vs my laptop. Based on everything I've read about Samsung's latest devices, I'm pretty certain they cannot match this performance let alone that of the iPhone 7.

Reactions: HEK

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
So what can a Note 7 do of real value that an iPhone can't. Stylus feature doesn't count - too few people use it. More flexibility to rearrange your home screen icons also doesn't count - hardly a compelling differentiating factor.

There are many but here's one - TASKER. Any sequence that you do on a regular basis can be automated. Connect to car bluetooth launches Pandora. Get to work, turn sound down and turn WiFi on and turn Sync off. Leave work, reverse everything. Or plug in to charge, turn sound off (like when you go to sleep). You can train the phone to do stuff on its own, combinations are unlimited.

And then gesture control with Nova - taps, slides, two finger, one finger, launch two apps with one icon based on how you interact with it. You can do everything you need from your home screen.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I have both the iPhone 7 Plus and the Note 7. None feel overall faster or slower than the other. Even my Blu R1 HD, which is a $60 Android phone with a 568 single core score runs 90% of apps just as smooth.

Unless you play games more than 50% of your usage time, then the variation of game loading times between devices shouldn't be any real concern.

Let's see a speed test without games, and I bet it'll be a photo finish. And BTW ... A big portion of the delay in loading games on some Android phones is because the Play Games app is not installed. As soon as I installed Play Games, it cut the loading times in half.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Let's see a speed test without games, and I bet it'll be a photo finish. And BTW ... A big portion of the delay in loading games on some Android phones is because the Play Games app is not installed. As soon as I installed Play Games, it cut the loading times in half.

The Note 7 got slaughtered by the Lapse It. This is where RAM and multi-core is suppose to shine, and all those specs for the Note 7 were literally no help. On the iPhone 7, from tapping the Lapse It icon to closing out of Lapse It, it took 17 seconds. The same thing on the Note took 35 seconds. Thats just pathetic. 4GB of RAM, Octa-core processor did it in double the time as 2GB/Quad-core.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
The Note 7 got slaughtered by the Lapse It. This is where RAM and multi-core is suppose to shine, and all those specs for the Note 7 were literally no help. On the iPhone 7, from tapping the Lapse It icon to closing out of Lapse It, it took 17 seconds. The same thing on the Note took 35 seconds. Thats just pathetic. 4GB of RAM, Octa-core processor did it in double the time as 2GB/Quad-core.

This is why I bold the word overall. Certain apps vary, but the majority of apps run just as smooth on both devices. I can easily say the iPhone 7 Plus with it's A10 processor and 3gb ram can't handle 3rd party keyboards as good as the Note 7.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
This is why I bold the word overall. Certain apps vary, but the majority of apps run just as smooth on both devices. I can easily say the iPhone 7 Plus with it's A10 processor and 3gb ram can't handle 3rd party keyboards as good as the Note 7.

Exactly! Swiftkey with Neural Network text prediction? No, sorry, not an option. Otherwise the iPhone rips.

the caveman

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2007
Pretty sure that comparison violates several UN human rights statutes and our own Habeas Corpus. That was inhumane treatment of that note 7

redman042

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2008
Read above. Tasker and Nova ;-) Neither has anything to do with settings but automation.

Automation and gesture modifications are basically just interface tweaks. These may be a big deal to some people, but I really doubt the majority of people would mess with stuff like that. I accomplish a lot on my phone and never felt the need. I can trigger all kinds of things from my home screen in iOS 10.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.