Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
can you respond ?

Mine got warm today I felt with my otter box on I let the iphone rest for 1hr with no use and it was not warm is this expected and can you vote in the poll ?

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
What were you doing when it got warm? That is the key. If it was not being used or charged and was heating up by itself on idle, then you got something to look at. If you were using it heavily, cradling it in your palms etc, then it is to be expected.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
What were you doing when it got warm? That is the key. If it was not being used or charged and was heating up by itself on idle, then you got something to look at. If you were using it heavily, cradling it in your palms etc, then it is to be expected.
When it was idle it does not get warm but when I have facebook,messenger ,Youtube on it gets a little warm and I did went to the genius last Sunday and no issues in diagnostic .

Paul830

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
I was using my iPhone 7plus in the car today. It was charging and running waze (nav program). The outside temp. was 81 and air was on in the car. The iPhone 7 plus overheated and turned off giving overheating message. Before powering off the display got progressively darker until the phone completely powered down. I held the phone near the AC vent and it did finally "cool off" I have used every other iPhone in this same manner and have never had one power down due to overheating. The outside temp wasn't even that hot 81F. The phone did recover however I am somewhat concerned because I use my iPhones everyday for navigation in the car. I really can't have a phone that powered down at moderate temperature. I have an apt. with Apple tomorrow. Will let you know what they have to say.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
I was using my iPhone 7plus in the car today. It was charging and running waze (nav program). The outside temp. was 81 and air was on in the car. The iPhone 7 plus overheated and turned off giving overheating message. Before powering off the display got progressively darker until the phone completely powered down. I held the phone near the AC vent and it did finally "cool off" I have used every other iPhone in this same manner and have never had one power down due to overheating. The outside temp wasn't even that hot 81F. The phone did recover however I am somewhat concerned because I use my iPhones everyday for navigation in the car. I really can't have a phone that powered down at moderate temperature. I have an apt. with Apple tomorrow. Will let you know what they have to say.
Mine does not do anything of that
[doublepost=1474498994][/doublepost]Update my Mom iPhone 6 64GB gets warm also seems normal for my iPhone 7 and my mom iPhone 6 to get warm

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
Otterbox's, in my experience, cause the heat. They trap the heat inside the case. And is the otterbox black? Black absorbs heat.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Otterbox's, in my experience, cause the heat. They trap the heat inside the case. And is the otterbox black? Black absorbs heat.
I can feel it hot on the sides of the phone maybe it's the case I need to find another one. But it does get warm while using facebook,messenger,YouTube

Videomanmac

Suspended
Apr 3, 2015
I can feel it hot on the sides of the phone maybe it's the case I need to find another one. But it does get warm while using facebook,messenger,YouTube
Using the phone, with the otterbox on, and then removing the case, will cause the phone to be hot.

It is sad, but Messenger is likely causing the power intensive cores to fire up.

rmeadejr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2009
San Francisco-Twin Peaks
mine got very warm to the touch and that was with me not doing anything. i called AppleCare and they ran tests on my iPhone while i was still home. the engineers told me to not use the iPhone and take it to the nearest apple store. they gave me a new one and everything is good now. i have a 32gb gold iPhone 7 plus.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
mine got very warm to the touch and that was with me not doing anything. i called AppleCare and they ran tests on my iPhone while i was still home. the engineers told me to not use the iPhone and take it to the nearest apple store. they gave me a new one and everything is good now. i have a 32gb gold iPhone 7 plus.
How did you find in stock and getting warm is normal with daily use without use getting warm that's not normal

Paul830

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Just got back from the Apple store. The phone heated up again while using WAZE and charging in the car. Outside temp. was 83F. Phone screen dimmed so dark that I was unable to see anything tried to close the app. but the screen touch was unresponsive. The screen remained dark for about 10 minutes...lucky I was at Apple and they were able to see how dark it had become. They ran diagnostics on the phone and did see that the heat sensor had triggered. They had no explanation for what was happening. They seem to feel that the phone is operating normally... I've never had any other iPhone perform like that. Bottom line, they are ordering a one time warranty replacement under my apple care. If it continues to happen they will try a software reload.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Just got back from the Apple store. The phone heated up again while using WAZE and charging in the car. Outside temp. was 83F. Phone screen dimmed so dark that I was unable to see anything tried to close the app. but the screen touch was unresponsive. The screen remained dark for about 10 minutes...lucky I was at Apple and they were able to see how dark it had become. They ran diagnostics on the phone and did see that the heat sensor had triggered. They had no explanation for what was happening. They seem to feel that the phone is operating normally... I've never had any other iPhone perform like that. Bottom line, they are ordering a one time warranty replacement under my apple care. If it continues to happen they will try a software reload.
Shouldn't it just be regular exchange since your new iPhone 7 should still be under the usual exchange/return period?

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Alexrat1996

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
How many days till you get a new one

tbaer

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
Mine is getting very warm now. Uncomfortable so. 20% battery drain in an hour with the screen mostly off. Unfortunately nothing showing that no battery monitor that would indicate what app is causing this.