iPhone 7 water resistance

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jr866gooner, Jun 27, 2017.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Hi

I know we're not talking about water proof but I'm guessing the phone will hold up ok to rain splashes. What about soft drink such as Coca Cola or apple squash? I'm not talking about being submerged but being splashed?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

It should be fine, albeit a little sticky afterwards. :cool:

3. Newtons Apple, Jun 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017

Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Coke is horrible for electronics and if it gets inside is highly corrosive. If just splashed on the exterior, wipe it off with a lightly damp cloth. How much water can the 7 take, I would not use it in the open rain.

4. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

The iPhone 7 has a water rating of IP67, which is essentially a splash/ dust resistance. Soda could be problematic from the sugar, if it were to penetrate the charging port or speakers.

Apple discusses the water resistance more in depth in this link and it's boundaries.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207043

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

There are people here that have had their phones break from water damage to a little rain fall. It may be "splash resistant" but I would not intentionally splash it. Its nice to have as a "backup", but I treat my 7Plus like all other electronic devices, avoid liquids no matter what.

6. jhearty99 macrumors 6502

jhearty99

IP67 is technically more then just splash resistant and normal use in rainfall should have zero effect. An IP67 rated device should handle immersion in up to a meter of water for up to 30 minutes. With that said, the warranty does not cover liquid damage and since these are produced by the millions and a faulty water seal being possible, use with caution as stated above.

7. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Yeah, you would think normal rainfall wouldn't cause an issue, especially when they had a previous commercial of someone using it in a thunderstorm, but someone still had issues. https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...est-ip67-condition-on-iphone-7-and-7.2012313/

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Those ratings are not a guarantee.
    And also as the device gets older the protection degrades and gets worst with time.
    It's not the same as day 1 that you took it out of the box.
    I would avoid getting it wet at all.