Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DanGoh

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 6, 2014
What do you think the selling point of the 7S and 7S Plus will be? We're all pretty sure the $1000 iPhone 8's selling point will be the new design but what could be new with the $650 and $769 iPhones?

I plan on keeping my 7 for at least another year, but I'd know I'd be tempted to upgrade if they add a wireless charging option (like MotoMods), add a 120hz Pro Motion display like on the iPad Pro, and if they bring back the headphone jack.

Greenmeenie

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2013
I am most curious about the camera update if any. I want to use the iphone as a travel camera so this is important to me. If the 7s plus gets the same camera as the iphone 8, i'd go with the 7s for sure. Eapecially if the iphone 8 doesnt have touch ID. If u believe the rumors, the 7s may get wireless charging & possibly pro motion? That'd be cool. Only a few more weeks to wait.

Reactions: akash.nu

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I doubt the 7s would get any screen improvements. The "S" models never do.

It has to be different enough from the 7 so that people still have the incentive to pay $100 more for a 7s than for a 7, unless Apple pulls a fast one and discontinues the 7 and keeps the 6s.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
What do you think the selling point of the 7S and 7S Plus will be? We're all pretty sure the $1000 iPhone 8's selling point will be the new design but what could be new with the $650 and $769 iPhones?

I plan on keeping my 7 for at least another year, but I'd know I'd be tempted to upgrade if they add a wireless charging option (like MotoMods), add a 120hz Pro Motion display like on the iPad Pro, and if they bring back the headphone jack.
Apple will never bring the headphone jack back. Of that I'm 100% confident.

7s:

•Price
•Availability
•Glass Back
•Improved cameras
•Dual OIS for the Plus cameras
•Enhanced earpiece speaker output
•Promotion possible
•True Tone possible
•A11 fusion
•Apple Neural Engine chip
•Wireless charging
•Fast charging

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

As others have already reiterated, Apple
Is not going to retract and bring back the 3.5 mm Jack. That would give Apple a poor reflection and show insecurity based on their decisions in doing so to remove it in the first place.

Also, the price point will be the most attractive "Non" related feature, because affordability is key for most.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
The selling point will be having the latest chip and updated tech without being a guinea pig for the bleeding edge new form factor/manufacturing, etc.
Remember the first revision of Apple products:
- iPhone 4: antennagate. Fixed in 4S
- iPhone 5: QC. Fixed in 5S
- iPhone 6: bendgate. Fixed in 6S

Whoakapi

Cancelled
May 26, 2010
I doubt the 7s would get any screen improvements. The "S" models never do.

It has to be different enough from the 7 so that people still have the incentive to pay $100 more for a 7s than for a 7, unless Apple pulls a fast one and discontinues the 7 and keeps the 6s.
3D Touch for the 6S?

Reactions: ForumChick

RUQRU

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2011
***WITSEC***
I plan on keeping my 7 for at least another year...

I am thinking the same thing. The 7+ is way more than "good enough." Just go back to last year's rollout how Apple puffed all the great new features, like the 12MP camera etc. Well, 11 months later it is all still really good.

As a stockholder I want Apple to sell the crap out of the new phones. At the same time I don't need one.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Isamilis

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2012
I am just thinking about SE. Will apple continue to release SE2? I still like its form factor.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
I am just thinking about SE. Will apple continue to release SE2? I still like its form factor.

They won't update it the same way they do the others, but they will keep it updated every few years 100%. The SE plays a big part of Apple's strategy to get the iPhone into more markets.

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
No selling points in 7S (if 3 phones). There will be 2 phones, I don't understand how can you believe this bad rumors. People claiming Apple doesn't do design or whatever on an S model. Have they EVER stated that officially? No, then don't say it as if it is a fact. Also let me remind you we have got 3 years stuck into the same design. When they announce the better display + bezel less design, who the hell would buy the 7S for just the wireless charging which they need to probably buy separately aswell? This won't happen. CPU isn't relevant in this case, it is an absolute must to change it each year. So there will be 2 phones, 7S/7S+ or 8/8+. That's it.

atlas_0

Suspended
Dec 30, 2016
Oh please move on already. It's been a year.

That kind of attitude is exactly why we lost the jack in the first place. Complacency means the consumer gets the shaft every time. Whether that's losing a feature like the headphone jack, or getting just a minimal bump in specs.

The fact is that by today's standards, the bump of the 7S/7S Plus will be nominal. But you people will eat it up anyway, and calling it now, there will be countless "WHY I WENT 7S INSTEAD OF 8/EDITION/X/whatever" threads, with people tooting their own horn, thinking they're so damn smart by getting the cheaper model instead of the new high priced model.

When instead, Apple still rakes in money, because they know their demographic is filled with obsessive consumerist sheep that will buy whatever lackluster phone/mac/watch/tablet they release, and then thank them for it.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
That kind of attitude is exactly why we lost the jack in the first place. Complacency means the consumer gets the shaft every time. Whether that's losing a feature like the headphone jack, or getting just a minimal bump in specs.

The fact is that by today's standards, the bump of the 7S/7S Plus will be nominal. But you people will eat it up anyway, and calling it now, there will be countless "WHY I WENT 7S INSTEAD OF 8/EDITION/X/whatever" threads, with people tooting their own horn, thinking they're so damn smart by getting the cheaper model instead of the new high priced model.

When instead, Apple still rakes in money, because they know their demographic is filled with obsessive consumerist sheep that will buy whatever lackluster phone/mac/watch/tablet they release, and then thank them for it.

The real smart people use the release of a new iPhone as an opportunity to get last year's model for under half the price on eBay ;)

Right now I'm rocking a 64GB SE that's less than a year old and still in warranty which I copped for under £200. After the 7S/8 release I will get a 7 for £300 maximum, easy.

Then you got the sheep lining up (literally in many cases) to pay £1,000 for the new one!

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Availability, price, design (refined over 7), probably upgraded cameras, a11 chip, potentially wireless charging if there's going to be a glass back? The shiny apple shaped thing on the back, iOS, the word 'iPhone' on the box.

ForumChick

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2017
USA
When they announce the better display + bezel less design, who the hell would buy the 7S for just the wireless charging which they need to probably buy separately aswell? This won't happen. CPU isn't relevant in this case, it is an absolute must to change it each year. So there will be 2 phones, 7S/7S+ or 8/8+. That's it.

Because people dont want to pay $1,000+ for a smartphone. If people want these features so bad they can get a note 8. The 7s is there is to satisfy the crowd who isn't as spec crazed and just want a phone that works.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
Actually, Dave, your need to reaffirm these statements is a form of self-validation. The fact that you've done so in an aggressive manner (in response to advice that was clearly meant to be helpful) emphasizes this.

There's no need to be defensive, but I do strongly recommend that you reflect on why you might respond in such a way to very innocuous statements on an internet forum, and then address those issues appropriately.

Cut the psychology crap! No one is being agressive. You clearly took it out of context, we can leave it at that otherwise it's just going around and around in circles, you have your opinion I have mine.

user1408

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2016
Because people dont want to pay $1,000+ for a smartphone. If people want these features so bad they can get a note 8. The 7s is there is to satisfy the crowd who isn't as spec crazed and just want a phone that works.

I don't like Android at all, but what you're saying makes no sense. I am not talking about the $1,000 price and the Note8 at all. This is NOT a new technology and many Chinese crap already have it, including the old S7/S8 by Samsung. As a fella from the forum already said, just because Apple have put years old of technology into the iPhone doesn't justify a 7S (in case there's 8 aswell).

And to the guy who said that people should buy whatever they want is a bad mindset. Because as much as I like Apple and it's iPhones, if we agree to buy whatever they offer us, however minor it is and we are willing to spend a lot of money on it, it will become just like Intel. They would be giving us the old units over and over again, till a competitor does something about it, and we won't push into further development. I hope I expressed myself in a way you can understand my point of view.

TLDR; In my opinion it's going to be bad for Apple of releasing 3 phones at once if there's a huge difference between them.

Reactions: atlas_0
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.