iPhone 7's First Major Upgrade Is AUDIO, and It Will Revolutionize Mobile Sound (Beyond Lightning)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Jan 9, 2016.

1. MICHAELSD, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016

MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I don't think there is any debating that iPhone 7 will change audio output for mobile devices, at least at first in a way that will be disappointing for many with the omission of the headphone jack but I think I have Apple's cards figured out: one of iPhone 7's main selling points at the keynote and beyond will be audio. In my opinion Apple will be doing a major overhaul in the audio department, firstly by pushing the Lightning port's capability of higher-quality audio. Then, by finally making up for Bluetooth's limitations with the company's own wireless format. More speculatively, I believe Apple will want to make this a more complete overhaul by adding at the very least stereo speakers although I think the company will manage to work a quad-speaker setup similar to the iPad Pro into the iPhone.

This could be a boon for Apple. They could have an audio renaissance by offering lossless or better-than-typical-lossless format through iTunes and Apple Music, which would be very welcome by me. With this new format, they could leverage the Beats brand to create headphones that are actually good and that play well with the lossless format.

This makes a lot of sense for the iPhone, and even more when iTunes, Apple Music, and the Beats brand are considered. Apple alone could usher in the resurgence good quality audio needed.

(Then, iPhone 8, with its OLED display that could very possibly be 4K, will focus on a brand new significantly better Retina Display.)

2. scaramoosh macrumors 6502a

No one cares, 3.5mm isn't the bottleneck, it's the fact 99.9999% of people wont own expensive headphones and never will. Apple aren't doing this for the sake of audio quality, they're doing it for the sake of form factor and to charge you more money.

3. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If they do market it well enough, great sound is well worth the hassle for a huge difference in quality and your 99.9999% figure is way off. Just need to educate the 99% that don't know enough, then sell them new high-fidelity Beats.

4. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

As much as I believe in Apple's ability to 'redevelop the wheel', the usage of a proprietary solution worries me as this drastic change would have to be strongly supported by third party accessory makers. I for one agree with you and would embrace this evolution, as I do think every technological advancement comes with a bit of a growing pain.

Like you said, Apple would have to market it very well, given the backlash that's already strong is only going to get stronger closer to launch. In addition they would have to do a lot to rebrand Beats and get them out off that 'overly bass centric' image.

5. rockitdog macrumors 68020

3-5% of people care about audio quality is guess. That's why you still see people rock those stupid Apple EarPods.

6. slayerizer macrumors 6502a

slayerizer

I will add that they will probably will charge you a premium price to convert our 256kbps albums to a higher quality. It's a win/win for them. They get rid of one component, you have to buy new stuff and new content.

I agree.. I don't thing they actually care about the quality, more about the revenues it will generate.

I'm personally not against it. I use wired headphones because they are better. I own a few pairs of bluetooth and I don't think they're great. I would love wireless headphones but also a different protocol. Bluetooth automatically degrades connection when the signal is not perfect and it annoys me. I would like something that works and work better.

7. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I would just be concerned about the availability of compatible headphones in the first year or so. I don't want to be limited to choosing between Apple's basic white headphones and a $300 pair of beats. Hopefully, there will be some middle ground.

8. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The truth is the non-savvy public already thinks of Beats as high-end -- which is why Apple bought them. They would more or less have to cater to audiophiles now.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---
    I'd imagine some type of adapter will be available, and assumedly many brands will get on-board quickly.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

You're exactly correct! It's all about Apple's ego... Create a bragging point and hype it. Create a reason to charge more money and increase customer lock in. Create a super thin phone of questionable durability. Ignoring the golden opportunity to leave it as it is now and adding a longer life battery. That's the universal desire of all smartphone buyers, yet Apple is not about to fulfill that interest. Instead they only care about a waif like appearance. Some things never change :eek:

10. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I do wonder where their obsession with thinness comes from... But to be fair.. I think the thinness might freeze at 6.9mm or 7.1mm... the iP6 and iP6p were thinner than the iP6s and iP6ps.. so maybe they'll just freeze it at iP6 levels and call it quits? Until in 5 years we see 'iPhone Air, it's so thin that you can hardly see it!'

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Why exactly do they need to get rid of the 3.5mm jack in order to have a focus on high quality audio?

12. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It came directly from Steve Jobs, many years ago while attending a WWDC Keynote I heard Steve make it perfectly clear that Apple's (read his) priority was building a thin MacBook Pro. Later in another WWDC I heard him repeat and reinforce it when revealing the MacBook Air. Having attended every WWDC since the first, it's a well worn reoccurring theme. Baked into Jony Ive's core design criterion is the burning desire to keep making iPhones thinner.

13. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

that's a bit... unfortunate.. So as long as Jony Ive lives we'll be seeing thinner iPhones... I don't mind the MacBooks and Macs getting thinner, that's actually quite nice. But the iPhone.. I personally thought that the iPhone 5S was the perfect thinness, it had enough substance to feel like a sturdy phone and the iPhone 6... I can't use it without a case :/

14. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

I agree.

I hate how thin, flat and odd ergonomically my iPhone 6 Plus is. Without a case it's so bloody thin it's not easy to pickup off a desk, not easy to hold on a long call, and just plain slippery.

15. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Most shopper are guide by eyes and ears, brain follow next, some brain never follow. o_O
    New iPhone physical design train is all about getting change for consumer to be able to see or hear immediately.
    Internal improvement will come when "s" is release, unless it is part of train, like CPU improvement.

16. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

They don't, but since they're apparently going to now they can tout the Lightning port as being "amazing" for audio. Offering higher quality audio gives them more of an excuse to get rid of it.

17. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Like I said elsewhere here today, it's a smokescreen for making the transition. The reality is that there is no high-resolution audio that is not 'compatible' with the 3.5mm jack.

18. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I only don't understand the idea of stereo speakers on the iPhone, it's just to funny.....stereo speakers are for home HI-FI.....better audio quality through headphones.....yes, why not.

19. jasie02, Jan 9, 2016

jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

It widen the sound stage, also help pin point location of sound source in stage.
    If you have a audio device source could switch between stereo/mono, try that with headphone, or better, but too small speaker together, and try switch between them, and listen for sound stage and location of sound source, not just sound.

20. bbrks, Jan 9, 2016

bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

I know what you are talking about, I am a very sick audiophile lunatic for the last 30 years, so my perspective of listening to music is probably somehow different....and I will never understand the pointless usage of such a small space in phones to put another speaker inside....OK. the difference in sound stage would be there, but the sound quality o_O....that extra space should be definitely used for some other more useful functions....

21. jasie02 macrumors 6502a

jasie02

Me too, all tubes CJ preamp/amp with my beloved Magnepans.

22. bbrks macrumors 65816

bbrks

OK, perfect, glad to hear that :), but don't you think that my edited post has more sense now...

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

if they move to get rid of 3.55 AND bluetooth.....how could it possibly end well when they've just made 100% of all third party devices obsolete.

24. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

well they kinda did that with the MacBook moving fully onto usb-c but offering an adapter for backwards compatibility. TBH if there's one company that would do something that crazy, I think it's Apple.

25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Haha I think this is pretty true. Tech people know that you can only do so much for audio quality when you are playing highly compressed audio files.

Great sound will come from the bitrate first. I think Apple is forward thinking enough to be investigating wave quality audio streaming. They are likely putting the hardware in that direction before the streaming infrastructure is in place. In other words, 256kbps is the limiting factor currently, not the 3.5mm.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2016 ---