Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Benjamin Geskin? today shared a photo of what appears to be four bare logic boards that are likely for the so-called iPhone 7s Plus.

iphone-7s-plus-logic-board-800x803.jpg
Alleged logic board likely for iPhone 7s Plus via Benjamin Geskin

We know the logic board is likely for the iPhone 7s Plus because the placement of the screw holes is consistent with the iPhone 7 Plus logic board, while the top narrow portion is wider than the iPhone 7 logic board.

The so-called iPhone 8, meanwhile, is expected to have a stacked logic board design with a L-shaped two-cell battery pack, which effectively rules out this logic board being for the widely rumored OLED display model.

The logic board isn't populated with components, but there are pads etched on it that suggest the iPhone 7s Plus will be powered by an Apple A11 chip, while at least one model appears to have an Intel modem.

We know this because blurry images of the alleged A11 chip were shared by Chinese social media account GeekBar last week, and the rear design of the chip is consistent with the pad on the bare logic board.

a11-chip-1-800x354.jpg
Alleged photos of Apple's A11 chip via GeekBar

Apple's A11 chip reportedly uses a new 10-nanometer FinFET manufacturing process introduced by supplier TSMC, and it will undoubtedly be faster than the A10 Fusion chip in the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

As for the modem being supplied by Intel or Qualcomm, the modem pad pattern is virtually identical to the one on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus logic board, and those smartphones are equipped with Intel's XMM7360 chip.

While not pictured, Apple will likely continue to dual source modems from Qualcomm for its upcoming iPhone lineup. Qualcomm's legal dispute with Apple, however, could push more orders in Intel's direction.

The logic board is etched with a "3217" timestamp, corresponding with the 32nd week of 2017, suggesting it was manufactured in early August.

The rest of the logic board is largely the same as the bare iPhone 7 logic board that surfaced last August -- and proved to be real.

iPhone-7s-parts-800x564.jpg
Alleged iPhone 7s display assembly via Slashleaks

In related news, photos of what could be the iPhone 7s's display assembly have surfaced on Chinese social platform Weibo. If real, the part reveals no surprises for the iPhone 7s, which is expected to look similar to the iPhone 7.

Apple is expected to announce its new iPhone lineup at a September event, potentially alongside a new 4K Apple TV and Apple Watch Series 3.

Article Link: iPhone 7s Plus Bare Logic Board Surfaces With A11 Chip and Intel Modem Markings

Reactions: Sunny1990

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
Jeez, I hope Apple announces these phones soon so less is spoiled for them.

Last edited:
Reactions: sik08amg

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
It amazes me how many say they can't afford the new iPhone.

Every year I sell mine and put it towards the new one. I got $500 for my 6S Plus. And now with the iPhone Upgrade Program you just pay for the phone monthly.

Even if you hand down your old phone to someone else and get no money for it, $700-$1000 for the iPhone Pro isn't bad...

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
It amazes me how many say they can't afford the new iPhone.

Every year I sell mine and put it towards the new one. I got $500 for my 6S Plus. And now with the iPhone Upgrade Program you just pay for the phone monthly.

Even if you hand down your old phone to someone else and get no money for it, $700-$1000 for the iPhone Pro isn't bad...
Disposable income is a fine thing to have.

Meanwhile, my car is sitting in my driveway because I can't afford to get it fixed. Gotta pay bills and buy groceries.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
There's a chance that could happen.

There is literally no chance of this happening.

Disposable income is a fine thing to have.

Meanwhile, my car is sitting in my driveway because I can't afford to get it fixed. Gotta pay bills and buy groceries.

There's a difference between not being able to spent $100-$300 more than you usually spend and not being able to put ANY money towards a new phone.

Whether the iPhone is $400 or $900, you have more important things going on to worry about and pay for.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016

soupcan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2014
Netherlands
C'mon Apple, you can make that motherboard smaller to fit a bigger battery in it. And make the phone thicker for an even more massive battery. And a headphone jack ofc.

xpxp2002

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2016
I am a little worried about this as well. I hope that the 7s isn't an afterthought with just a processor and ram upgrade and thats it.
Personally, I think that's exactly what it's going to be. This design is four years old and has been exhausted. The new design is coming this year. It's just unfortunate that it sounds like it's going to be (even more) expensive and drop a number of key features, just to make the screen a little bit bigger.

Reactions: iChrist

WinterWolf90

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2014
Personally, I think that's exactly what it's going to be. This design is four years old and has been exhausted. The new design is coming this year. It's just unfortunate that it sounds like it's going to be (even more) expensive and drop a number of key features, just to make the screen a little bit bigger.

I'm on the fence. I am on the S upgrade cycle and have been happy upgrading since my first iPhone (4S). I felt like every two years I got a nice spec upgrade as well as hardware and feature changes. If the 7S isn't more than the 7 I probably won't upgrade. If the 8 is too much price, I might bail as well and hold out another year.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Hopefully it won't support CDMA, so we'll still have a Qualcomm option. After the experience I had with this Intel iPhone 7, I'll never buy a phone with an Intel cellular radio ever again.
Intel modem is the worst...
on a whim I bought a $150 qualcomm equipped iphone SE for fun on a recent BB sale. Popped in sim chip from my wife's 7+ with Intel modem and guess what, at least 10-20+ faster on speedtest.net along with much better call reception

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.