Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While multiple sources and leaked components have pointed towards iPhone 7 models having dual speakers, which could very well be the case, a new design drawing spotted by French website NWE suggests the additional holes may be purely cosmetic to give the bottom edge a symmetrical design.

iPhone-7-design-drawing.jpg

The text in the documents refers to the area that occupies the 3.5mm headphone jack on current iPhones as having simply a microphone and microphone mesh, with no mention of a speaker in that location. Most of the secondary holes would be non-functional, except for the one furthest to the right, which would double as a microphone.

The veracity of the photo cannot be confirmed, and the rumor conflicts with some previous reports, but at least one previous iPhone 7 design drawing has depicted the left speaker grille as ornamental. In the photos, the secondary holes are not cut all the way through except for what would be normally be the microphone hole.

iPhone-7-speaker-grille-closed-off.jpg

The inclusion of dual speakers or lack thereof will be known for certain in less than a month. Apple is expected to announce the tentatively named iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus on September 7, likely followed by pre-orders on September 9 and retail availability on September 16 in first-wave launch countries.

Article Link: iPhone 7's Secondary Speaker Holes May Be Purely Cosmetic

Reactions: macfacts

HopefulHumanist

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2015
I'm pretty sure this has been reported before. I'm still skeptical and hope there are two speakers but anything is possible. We'll know soon enough. Can't believe it's less than a month away!

Reactions: rekhyt and deany

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
The ONLY reason I was considering upgrading would be dual speakers (simply for added volume, I know stereo doesn't matter on a device that small).

I can see this happening through.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
They would remove headphone jack and not replace it with NOTHING, and that's not a big deal?? APPLE HAS EVERYONE hypnotized

They would still be filling the space up, just not with another speaker.

This will actually be very interesting. That is a LOT of space that they have to play with and will be interesting to see what they do with it.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
I wish Apple would take a clue from other manufactures regarding speaker design. My HTC 10 is not perfect, but it does have dual speakers, a good mic, and a headphone jack...

Looking at the bottom you can see the woofer and mic, go up top and the earpiece is a second front firing speaker/tweeter and on top is the headphone jack. Believe it or not Apple, it is possible. With a 3,000 mAh battery to boot. Can anyone imagine how long an iPhone would last with that large of a battery? It would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.