Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16323570/apple-new-iphone-8-review-plus-2017

Verge scored it 8 out of 10

His final thoughts

After spending a week with the 8, I can’t think of a single compelling reason to upgrade from an iPhone 7. The 7 is still extremely fast, offers virtually the same design in a lighter package with a bigger battery, and will get almost every feature of the 8 with iOS 11. If you really want Qi wireless charging, you can get a slim $15 case that supports it. And if you’re dying for Portrait Lighting, there are tons of photo apps in the App Store that offer similar effects. Of course, if you're upgrading from anything older than an iPhone 7, the improvements in the camera and the overall speed of the phone are going to really impress you.

Performance wise the reviewer didn't see a big difference from the iphone 7

JohnnyGo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2009
without even reading the review, that was my reasoning. Its a very minor update to the 7. I'm not knocking the 8, just pointing out though apple really didn't add anything compelling to the 8 (other then wireless charging).

I read an article blaming TSMC 10nm node for the lack of oomph in the A11 soc. It seems Apple also tried to keep weight under control and reduce the battery size again. Not surprisingly, the A11 seems to lean more towards energy efficiency than performance.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
...After spending a week with the 8, I can’t think of a single compelling reason to upgrade from an iPhone 7. The 7 is still extremely fast, offers virtually the same design in a lighter package with a bigger battery, and will get almost every feature of the 8 with iOS 11. If you really want Qi wireless charging, you can get a slim $15 case that supports it. And if you’re dying for Portrait Lighting, there are tons of photo apps in the App Store that offer similar effects. Of course, if you're upgrading from anything older than an iPhone 7, the improvements in the camera and the overall speed of the phone are going to really impress you....
Not dissimilar to my thoughts. Glad to see I’m in good company.

Reactions: one more

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, just 1:30 into the video and the reviewer has made so many excuses on the review as to why this isn't the X, and how the X is the future (I'm not saying its not). It's like he's begrudgingly doing the interview but doesn't really see the need

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Wow, just 1:30 into the video and the reviewer has made so many excuses on the review as to why this isn't the X, and how the X is the future (I'm not saying its not). It's like he's begrudgingly doing the interview but doesn't really see the need
Apple’s keynote struck me the same way, actually. They were trying to be enthusiastic but were obviously rushing through all of the specs & features.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
It just boggles my mind why Apple would reduce the battery. Most people I know will happily trade a little weight and thickness for better battery life. It's almost as if they don't give a crap.
This argument has been around since apple chose to make their products thinner and thinner, its not a new phenomenon, but with that said, I agree with you. On the plus side, we'd see the removal of the camera bump as well, which I still think is ugly.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017

Well there really isn't much to talk about is there? It's got wireless charging and a faster chip. The review doesn't even need to be 1:30 minute long.
[doublepost=1505821988][/doublepost]
This argument has been around since apple chose to make their products thinner and thinner, its not a new phenomenon, but with that said, I agree with you. On the plus side, we'd see the removal of the camera bump as well, which I still think is ugly.

I hope they would remove the camera bump, but with the X they seem to have doubled down on it. The bump looks bigger than ever.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/19/16323570/apple-new-iphone-8-review-plus-2017

Verge scored it 8 out of 10

His final thoughts

After spending a week with the 8, I can’t think of a single compelling reason to upgrade from an iPhone 7. The 7 is still extremely fast, offers virtually the same design in a lighter package with a bigger battery, and will get almost every feature of the 8 with iOS 11. If you really want Qi wireless charging, you can get a slim $15 case that supports it. And if you’re dying for Portrait Lighting, there are tons of photo apps in the App Store that offer similar effects. Of course, if you're upgrading from anything older than an iPhone 7, the improvements in the camera and the overall speed of the phone are going to really impress you.

Performance wise the reviewer didn't see a big difference from the iphone 7
Can someone explain to me why -a new phone is supposed to be a compelling upgrades from the previous year phone every year? How many people get a new phone every single year? Why is the iPhone 8 supposed to be targeted to 7 owners? What percentage of smartphone owners get a new phone every year? Why should that be necessary? Seems to me the standard should be if I have a phone that is 2,3 or more years old would this be a compelling upgrade and I think for the camera alone the answer would be yes.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Original poster
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Can someone explain to me why -a new phone is supposed to be a compelling upgrades from the previous year phone every year? How many people get a new phone every single year? Why is the iPhone 8 supposed to be targeted to 7 owners? What percentage of smartphone owners get a new phone every year? Why should that be necessary? Seems to me the standard should be if I have a phone that is 2,3 or more years old would this be a compelling upgrade and I think for the camera alone the answer would be yes.
I think thats what the reviewer is saying and most will say. This upgrade is focused more on the 6 or 6s owners.

My mum for example is on a 6s and will be getting the 8 as that will be a good upgrade.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Well there really isn't much to talk about is there? It's got wireless charging and a faster chip. The review doesn't even need to be 1:30 minute long.
[doublepost=1505821988][/doublepost]

I hope they would remove the camera bump, but with the X they seem to have doubled down on it. The bump looks bigger than ever.
What is there to talk about on new Android phones? Basically they get a faster chip and better camera just like iPhone. This year they started to lose top and bottom bezels but that could be a 10 second mention in a review. The fact is the smartphone is a mature product now and other than gimmicks like folding screens there’s little that’s going to change outside of better internals/cameras/sensors.

Reactions: Bethanie21

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I think thats what the reviewer is saying and most will say. This upgrade is focused more on the 6 or 6s owners.

My mum for example is on a 6s and will be getting the 8 as that will be a good upgrade.
Right but then it shouldn’t be reviewed as it’s boring or no big deal because it’s not a major upgrade from the previous year. But I would even quibble with that as I think one could argue the 8 is a bigger upgrade from the 7 than the 7 was from the 6S. I’d also like to know though what would be considered a big upgrade? The smartphone form factor is basically locked. How much can it really change? Now that phones are going near bezel-free what’s left?

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
The iPhone 6s -> 7, was a super small upgrade.. and now the 8.. im gonna get the X, just to feel like I get a new phone, compared to the last 3 years

skidu

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2014
FOV of the camera seems a lot wider now, guess that's due to the larger sensor but keeping the focal length of the lens the same. Looks almost like 24-26mm.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Zero regrets on my choice. The 6 Plus to 8 Plus I feel is major upgrade for me.

"Apple claims the glass is stronger than ever, but I’ve already scratched the 8 Plus by carrying it around in my pocket."
I've read this elsewhere also "black phone backs you will see the scratches easier compared to the silver.

Grr...well ever since iPhone 4 I have protected the back of my phones (and the front as well) with one of those Zagg protectors, I'll probably do the same with this for piece of mind. Already bought my 7+ case yesterday and front screen protector for the 7+/8+.

Call it "overkill" but I've kept my phones in pretty darn good looking condition through the years, I plan to keep it that way :)

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I read an article blaming TSMC 10nm node for the lack of oomph in the A11 soc. It seems Apple also tried to keep weight under control and reduce the battery size again. Not surprisingly, the A11 seems to lean more towards energy efficiency than performance.

Whut? It’s faster than the A10X and 50%+ better in multi core. The A10 was already fast, but this is still a decent bit faster.

santela

macrumors regular
May 15, 2017
What is there to talk about on new Android phones? Basically they get a faster chip and better camera just like iPhone. This year they started to lose top and bottom bezels but that could be a 10 second mention in a review. The fact is the smartphone is a mature product now and other than gimmicks like folding screens there’s little that’s going to change outside of better internals/cameras/sensors.

I could be wrong but I don't think the 8 even has a better camera than the 7. They literally added better charging methods and a better chip.

Pretty sure the Samsung S8 has a new design, new chip, new camera, new iris scanner, and larger screen... c'mon, let's not pretend every manufacturer out there is doing the same thing as Apple. Oh and did I mention they are not using the same design four years in a row?

SomeGuy2112

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2015
Review makes perfect sense. In all reality, this is the 7S / 7S Plus.. Given I've been on the "S" upgrade path every 2 years, this should be exactly the incremental jump I would have expected going from my 6S to a 7S (AKA 8)...

baldgye3000

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2017
Right but then it shouldn’t be reviewed as it’s boring or no big deal because it’s not a major upgrade from the previous year.

I don't agree with this at all.

As is mentioned in the review, the iPhone 8 will probably become the default phone for A LOT of people, and as such a review is necessary. It's also the new big iPhone, Apple (as again is mentioned in the review) also call this a flagship phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.