iPhone 8 dummy model surfaces with edge-to-edge display, no rear Touch ID, and stainless steel rim.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ishan Agarwal, Apr 23, 2017.

?

Did you like it?

1. Yes

65.2%
  2. No

34.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ishan Agarwal, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017

Ishan Agarwal macrumors newbie

Ishan Agarwal

MOD NOTE: The quote to the article has been trimmed and a link to the original article provided.

~9to5Mac
    https://9to5mac.com/2017/04/23/ipho...s-with-edge-to-edge-display-no-rear-touch-id/

OMG! What are your views on this guys?

C-GMGLWXsAICmtr.jpg-large.jpeg c-fswtfxcaeeb4h-jpg-large.jpeg c-fhhjxw0ae8oaq.jpg c-fsub0xgaad9el-jpg-large.jpeg c-fsva_xgae0jyh-jpg-large.jpeg c-fvulwwsaaxqkq-jpg-large.jpeg c-fvvkcxyaedatk-jpg-large.jpeg c-fvvxvwaael0ld-jpg-large.jpeg

2. firket2000, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017

firket2000 macrumors newbie

firket2000

It's my understanding that an aluminum back means no wireless charging

3. Dave245 macrumors 601

If it looks like that and doesn't have Touch ID on the back I will be pre-ordering one! The camera being moved is interesting I'm assuming it's for VR reasons. Wireless charging I'm not bothered about really since there is no real wireless charging you still have to attach it to something that is plugged in the wall. If the iPhone 8 looks like that has even more improvements in the camera then I will buy no doubt.

4. alexforget82 macrumors regular

"The right side looks a lot like a current iPhone too, with a power button and SIM tray, except the power switch seems to be elongated/longer."

They move the Touch ID to the power button ????

5. joeblow7777 macrumors 601

If it's (near) bezel-less and manages to keep TouchID on the front, that's basically all I ask.

Well, it'd be nice if they brought back the headphone jack, but I know that's like asking for a unicorn.

6. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

That looks thick bulky and heavy. Hardly an Apple design. Also how would you be expected to hold a device like this? With polished slippery slides and slippery glass? Yeah looks nice and worst to try and hold then a slippery wet bar of soap held in your hands covered in Fairy Liquid....

7. BMcCoy macrumors 65816

BMcCoy

Curved stainless steel edges?
    That'll be one slippery phone..

And with glass front and back... I predict Applecare will be essential with every phone sold!

8. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

I'm worried about how heavy it'll be. We all know that even though the 4/4s was smaller than the 5, it was much heavier due to the materials.

9. DUIduckSAUCE macrumors 6502

DUIduckSAUCE

10. MacFinnley macrumors 6502

MacFinnley

11. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

that's what i was wondering too. why else elongate the power button? If there's issues getting touch id under the screen, then on the power button is a feasible option, believe sony phones have done this in the past.

12. Dave245 macrumors 601

The person in the picture's seem to be handling it ok with 1 hand It probably looks worse than it is. People have complained in the past that the iPhone is too thin and light and now there are complaints that it may be thicker and heavier, it just shows that no matter what Apple do people will find something to complain about.

It doesn't mean that these images are real anyway or even that it's in fact the iPhone it could be a prototype of a version they have considered.

13. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

Good way to make more money

14. strategicthinke macrumors regular

strategicthinke

I think it looks absolutely phenomenal! Style with substance, leveraging all the knowledge they've got with the Apple Watch design. Kudos to Apple if that's true! (After the horrible back Touch ID rumours...)

15. Dave245 macrumors 601

I agree with you! If this is real and the final design that gets announced it will be the first time since the 4S that I can have a phone without a case.

16. itsboi macrumors regular

A vertical camera actually looks better than the horizontal.

17. T'hain Esh Kelch, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I like it. And it matches some of the earliest rumors for the OLED model, in that it would take design cues from the original iPhone, and this sure does look like a modern take on it.

My guess is that this is the iPhone Edition/OLED/8 with an integrated TouchID in the screen and thus more premium, and the aluminium backsides with rear TouchID is for the 7s model.

If this is it, then I will have a hard time resisting picking it up (Will wait for TouchID reviews to see how good it is).

18. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I definitely think it will have a vertical camera. As far as touch ID goes, this makes me think of the case of the 3.5 mm Jack last year. Everyone said they would never remove it and mock ups/Prototypes we're showing that the Jack was removed. These latest mock ups/Prototypes are showing mostly the touch ID being placed on the back. But if Apple offers three models, do they place touch ID on the back of all three of them or just for OLED model if that does exist? That's what has me peculiar at the moment.

19. Dave245 macrumors 601

I was thinking the same, maybe the Touch ID is on the back for the 7S to keep costs down. I wouldn't mind paying £1000 for this iPhone 8, OLED screen, 3D camera sensing features and whatever else Apple puts into it, I'm looking forward to September :)

it does seem like they are taking cues from the original iPhone along with the Apple Watch stainless steel. That would make sense considering it's 10 years since the original iPhone so taking cues from the original iPhone along with the glass from the 4 and 4S would make sense.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2017 ---
    The vertical camera could be for 3D sensing or for VR capabilities. Touch ID I think could be put Into the display for the iPhone 8 and maybe on the back for the 7S to keep costs down maybe. This could be prototype that is being tested or it could be the real design but only higher up people at Apple would have the ability to take new iPhones out in the real world for testing, engineers for example.

20. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

Why do I sense a MacRumors front page article coming on this later this week? Seems likely if Prototypes are showing up.

21. Dave245 macrumors 601

22. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

Eww! It looks all bulky and thick. And if the stainless steel edge rumor is true, if would be a real turn off for me. Those edges would definitely be slippery and ... 'stainable'.
    I still don't see the reason for bezel free design. If anything it just make phones look weird.
    This mockup blows!

23. VertPin macrumors 6502

VertPin

Came from some verified Foxconn leaker? Surprised it's not on the front page. Looks very nice. However, where is the flash? It's definitely not between the two lens.

24. Dave245 macrumors 601

I don't know if it's someone who works at Foxconn, but it's someone who's got a BMW car. I also believe it's the same person who leaked the 12" MacBook before it was announced.

25. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Being oled and having features like wireless charging is enough for me to upgrade.

Touch ID on the back doesn't bother me if iris scanning is there

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.