iPhone 8 Expected to Include Faster 10W USB-C Wall Charger

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Earlier this year, Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities said the widely rumored 5.8-inch iPhone with an OLED display will feature a Lightning connector with USB-C Power Delivery that enables fast charging capabilities.

[​IMG]
    "iPhone 8" mockup by Benjamin Geskin for iDrop News

Lending credence to that rumor, Barclays analyst Blayne Curtis today in a research note said the so-called "iPhone 8" will come bundled with a 10W power adapter with a USB-C connector and an integrated USB-C Power Delivery chip.

Curtis said the USB-C Power Delivery chips built into both the iPhone and 10W power adapter will be supplied by Cypress Semiconductor. The research note suggests it'll be the same CYPD2104 chip used in the new 10.5-inch iPad Pro.

An excerpt from the Barclays research note distributed to clients, obtained by MacRumors and edited slightly for clarity:
    Like the new 10.5-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the so-called "iPhone 8" would be capable of fast charging with a Lightning to USB-C cable connected to the new 10W power adapter or Apple's 29W USB-C power adapter for MacBook.

Apple will presumably include a Lightning to USB-C cable in the box if it's going in this direction, possibly instead of the traditional Lightning to USB cable. Apple could also opt to include a female USB-C to male USB-A adapter in the box.

Apple's current 5W Power Adapter for iPhone and 12W Power Adapter for iPad both have slower USB-A ports.

Given the "iPhone 8" is expected to have around a 2,700 mAh L-shaped two-cell battery pack, faster charging would be a welcomed addition. The device is also widely rumored to feature wireless charging on top.

Article Link: iPhone 8 Expected to Include Faster 10W USB-C Wall Charger

2. Labeno macrumors 6502

Labeno

3. OldSchoolMacGuy Suspended

OldSchoolMacGuy

Queue the complaints from MR readers that they'll have to switch from all their current iPhone chargers. Faster charing is horrible!!!!!

4. KPOM macrumors G5

It looks like a proprietary power delivery solution, meaning that like the iPad Pro you would not get faster charging with just any USB-C charger. USD-PD standards are 9W and 15W for mobile devices.

5. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Along with wireless charging hopefully. Either way, faster charging will be a much-appreciated upgrade.

6. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

7. TheTruth101 Suspended

It seems worth replacing my iPhone 5 this time.

8. Canada420 macrumors member

I like this change. However I do hope it turns out to be a 15 W adapter.

9. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Now if only they had included the 29w charger with the new iPad Pro's...

10. iamgalt macrumors regular

iamgalt

They need to use USB-C on both sides of the cable, and not USB-C to Lightning. Just my opinion (and a lot of other peoples based on comments I've heard and read throughout the past couple years)

11. Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Took a bit long for the company who promised USB-C was the future!

12. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

Why can't they just move to using USB-C on the iPhone itself? Sure there will be some wailing and gnashing of teeth for a bit, but it'll finally standardize phone charging across the industry.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68040

Finally the iPhone will be getting long awaited features and updates.

14. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

They are going to 10W and not 12W which would be perfect for charging iPads also? Thanks Apple!

15. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Faster charging is great, but I need faster data transfer. Where's USB3? Filling a 256GB phone takes forever!

16. syan48306 macrumors 6502a

syan48306

Why apple! Why!

Why wont you just bite the bullet and go full USB-C to USB-C on the phone? I'd gladly plop down money on a good set of USB-C headphones but nooooo. You're going to force lightning headphones on us and then make us purchase another set for the macbook pro. :mad:

17. KrisLord macrumors 65816

The current iPhones already support charging with a 10/12w charger so this isn’t that good. It’s no different to chucking the existing iPad charger into the iPhone box.

If the iPhone 8 supported 29w charging like three iPad Pro then that would be true fast charging.

18. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Faster charging, of course no one can argue. But this is a PITA for frequent travelers who now have to bring along another brick. Hopefully 3rd parties are on the move with a 2 port USB-C + 2 port USB-A travel charger.

Also what the heck happened to the supposed inductive charging that the iPhone 8 was suppose to have.

19. DaveWotzit macrumors member

DaveWotzit

From the UK the Isle of winning at sports *NOT*
  20. 69Mustang macrumors 603

69Mustang

Different subject altogether. Even when wireless charging is introduced, the phone will still have the capability of being charged via cable. Just like every other wirelessly charged phone. Faster cable charging is a sweet plus regardless of any wireless capability.

21. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

LOL rendering all previous cables I have collected useless yet again.

22. KazKam macrumors 6502

KazKam

Finally, an iPhone rumor that is practical and has a real possibility of coming to fruition... that completely fabricated rendering of the new iPhone aside. Though I guess a photo of just a power brick with a USB-C port isn't quite as exciting.

23. Ad13 macrumors regular

Hahahaha. Faster 'charing'. That line belongs to Samsung!

24. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

As long as the phone continues to use Lightening I don't care! I have dozens and dozens of cables.

25. vvs14 macrumors regular

vvs14

They changed the original connector after 5 years. The current connector has been around for 5 years. Its about time to upgrade everything to USB-C. It will also encourage companies to start making USB-C a standard for every device so Macbook Pros can be used with more devices without dongles sooner rather than later.