iphone 8 - no clock in status bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TinaBelcher, Aug 1, 2017.

1. TinaBelcher macrumors 6502

If the mockups are a true interpretation of iPhone 8, where on earth are they going to put the clock? It has always been in the top center, but will now be covered by the camera. If they move it to the left or right it's going to look unbalanced. I also wonder how the apps are going to look now that the status bar isn't on top of the apps but separate in a black bar.

2. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

i'm a robot

3. chilman macrumors regular

chilman

Robots can be programmed to adapt

4. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

Apps will start below the black bar. It's a virtual 'header/bezel' for normal use. I presume the background will only fill up the left/right corners on the lock screen, if anything.

5. jonnyb macrumors 65816

http://www.allenpike.com/2017/developing-for-iphone-pro/
    [​IMG]

6. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Then the size should be measured by useable screen real estate. If apps will only create their own border. Even if it's 5.8" OLED Apps will likely default to 5.5" same as the IPhone 7 Plus for compatablity sake. And Apple will claims its a feature they invented since OLED displays stay perfectly black in border areas.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    Can you compare it to the 7 Plus. I mean people really prefer the Plus size and if the IPhone Pro is No bigger than a 4.7" Phone

7. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

Not sure how I feel about this. I'd prefer a smaller virtual button like on the pixel, but with an Apple logo. Now, that would be gorgeous. But a clock as a button, nah... I'd wish they'll find a way to make a dock like on iPad. Obviously in limited form, but still.

8. Ralfi macrumors 6502a

Ralfi

I may be wrong but I think that lower virtual bezel will be used by apps, so the screen measurement should be taken from the lower most corner of the device to the upper corner where the top virtual bezel begins. I say 'should be', because I agree, it shouldn't really include the split status bar area, but 5.8" sounds good....marketing. Realistically, it should be 5.75" (can someone provide the actual measurement please)?

The time on the virtual home button is nifty. Haven't seen that before.

9. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

Then increase your adaptability parameter to 95%, TARS.

10. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

The time will be in the center top of the display, as always. The left and right corners will be used for new status elements/dynamics. Not to hold the current status bar.

The bottom of the device will be a black bar symmetrical to the top status bar. The black bar on the bottom is the Home Bar which has Home Button functionality and new dynamic functionally for taps etc.

11. ericg301 macrumors 6502a

that's how they'll get you to buy an apple watch

12. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey, Rumble!
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2017 ---
    They're pure evil

13. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

14. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

I will never buy an apple watch! Lol

15. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

The main thing that we know is that most of the 'Features' will have existed, been used and enjoyed by users of other O.S.'s and yet claim that it's 'Innovative'

16. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

Haha, so true. I do think they've stepped up their game with the iPad's iOS 11

17. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

Actually, the iPads are doing fine. They are the best tablets around. I'm talking iPhone here :p

18. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502

iPhones will always be the Melania Trump to the Android's Michelle Obama

19. warden macrumors member

Maybe top-right, like on a Mac? Perhaps they'll remove the battery percentage to make room.

20. NBAasDOGG macrumors regular

NBAasDOGG

I'm not really familiar with this American logic. Use something more universal...

21. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

I'm an American and I'll translate it for you:

Wait, nope, I can't, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 2, 2017 ---
    I highly doubt they would do this. If you start placing status indicators in those corners they will become exceedingly congested. Also, if you start eliminating status symbols then there's no reason for a status bar in the first place. I believe it will all remain in a single line directly under the cutout. New elements will take the corners.

Another thing that should be considered is the fact that the lock screen can now go into landscape mode due to the fact that it is taking the place of Notification Center. Because it goes landscape, all of the status bar elements jump onto the left or right sides of the devices, and they are all on the colored background of your wallpaper. It would look extremely odd for them to jump from the corners to this extremely long side and use so little space.

22. the future macrumors 65816

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Let me try.
    iPhone will always be the Princess Diana to the Android's Angela Merkel :D

24. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

lol think you got that backwards bruh ;)