iphone 8 - no clock in status bar?

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
If the mockups are a true interpretation of iPhone 8, where on earth are they going to put the clock? It has always been in the top center, but will now be covered by the camera. If they move it to the left or right it's going to look unbalanced. I also wonder how the apps are going to look now that the status bar isn't on top of the apps but separate in a black bar.

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Apps will start below the black bar. It's a virtual 'header/bezel' for normal use. I presume the background will only fill up the left/right corners on the lock screen, if anything.

jonnyb

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2005
Rye/London, UK
If the mockups are a true interpretation of iPhone 8, where on earth are they going to put the clock? It has always been in the top center, but will now be covered by the camera. If they move it to the left or right it's going to look unbalanced. I also wonder how the apps are going to look now that the status bar isn't on top of the apps but separate in a black bar.
http://www.allenpike.com/2017/developing-for-iphone-pro/

TheRealAlex

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2015
Apps will start below the black bar. It's a virtual 'header/bezel' for normal use. I presume the background will only fill up the left/right corners on the lock screen, if anything.
Then the size should be measured by useable screen real estate. If apps will only create their own border. Even if it's 5.8" OLED Apps will likely default to 5.5" same as the IPhone 7 Plus for compatablity sake. And Apple will claims its a feature they invented since OLED displays stay perfectly black in border areas.
[doublepost=1501586372][/doublepost]
Can you compare it to the 7 Plus. I mean people really prefer the Plus size and if the IPhone Pro is No bigger than a 4.7" Phone

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Then the size should be measured by useable screen real estate. If apps will only create their own border. Even if it's 5.8" OLED Apps will likely default to 5.5" same as the IPhone 7 Plus for compatablity sake. And Apple will claims its a feature they invented since OLED displays stay perfectly black in border areas.
[doublepost=1501586372][/doublepost]

Can you compare it to the 7 Plus. I mean people really prefer the Plus size and if the IPhone Pro is No bigger than a 4.7" Phone
I may be wrong but I think that lower virtual bezel will be used by apps, so the screen measurement should be taken from the lower most corner of the device to the upper corner where the top virtual bezel begins. I say 'should be', because I agree, it shouldn't really include the split status bar area, but 5.8" sounds good....marketing. Realistically, it should be 5.75" (can someone provide the actual measurement please)?

The time on the virtual home button is nifty. Haven't seen that before.

Reactions: Vanilla35

Infiniverse48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2017
The time will be in the center top of the display, as always. The left and right corners will be used for new status elements/dynamics. Not to hold the current status bar.

The bottom of the device will be a black bar symmetrical to the top status bar. The black bar on the bottom is the Home Bar which has Home Button functionality and new dynamic functionally for taps etc.

NBAasDOGG

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2017
Netherlands
The main thing that we know is that most of the 'Features' will have existed, been used and enjoyed by users of other O.S.'s and yet claim that it's 'Innovative'

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2017
The main thing that we know is that most of the 'Features' will have existed, been used and enjoyed by users of other O.S.'s and yet claim that it's 'Innovative'
Haha, so true. I do think they've stepped up their game with the iPad's iOS 11

warden

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2013
Maybe top-right, like on a Mac? Perhaps they'll remove the battery percentage to make room.

Infiniverse48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2017
I'm not really familiar with this American logic. Use something more universal...
I'm an American and I'll translate it for you:

Wait, nope, I can't, it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
[doublepost=1501679461][/doublepost]
Maybe top-right, like on a Mac? Perhaps they'll remove the battery percentage to make room.
I highly doubt they would do this. If you start placing status indicators in those corners they will become exceedingly congested. Also, if you start eliminating status symbols then there's no reason for a status bar in the first place. I believe it will all remain in a single line directly under the cutout. New elements will take the corners.

Another thing that should be considered is the fact that the lock screen can now go into landscape mode due to the fact that it is taking the place of Notification Center. Because it goes landscape, all of the status bar elements jump onto the left or right sides of the devices, and they are all on the colored background of your wallpaper. It would look extremely odd for them to jump from the corners to this extremely long side and use so little space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.