iPhone 8 or skip?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacSafe, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MacSafe macrumors regular

Hi
    my current iPhone is 16 gb iPhone 6, 3 years old.
    running iOS 9.3.3, its working really fine.
    but I'm thinking about a new phone.
    Now, to be honest, I'm really disappointed about the lack of new feature of the new 8 and 8+ but the X is too expensive for me.
    I'm thinking about skip this generation, and buy the 2018 iPhone, or maybe to go with the 8+ wich gonna be a big jump for me. o_O

any recommendation? what should i do?

2. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Why not go for the iPhone SE ($349) or the iPhone 6s ($449)? Both offer good upgrades to your phone, run the latest iOS11, offer higher storage than your 16G phone, and will include a new battery. You can keep either phone for a year or two until the iPhone X comes down in price a bit.

3. canuckRus macrumors 6502a

canuckRus

I'm not going to bite either. I couldn't be happier with my 6S.

4. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

I think SE ($349), 6S ($449) or 7 ($549) would all be worthwhile upgrades for the original poster

5. nilk macrumors 6502a

Being on iOS 9.3.3 means you haven't gotten any security updates. That is fine as long you're not connecting to the internet with this phone :p

If you're truly fine with the iPhone 6, I'd say ride it out another year.

Any newer phone will be a big jump up in performance from the 6, including the SE and 6S. The SE is a fantastic little device, and actually performs better than the 6S because it has to do less work to render it's smaller screen, and is easy to use one handed. SE runs iOS 11 like a champ, too. If you like bigger screens, the SE is not the way to go, though. SE is also lacking in various features that you'd get going with the 6S or newer (display quality, 3D touch, faster Touch ID, front-facing camera quality, etc).

6. 0928001 Suspended

You should wait until next year. Or you can pull an Appl3FTW and buy a phone and return it after 13 days and 23 hours so you can get your new phone fix in.

7. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 65816

RootBeerMan

Far be it for me to tell you to buy or not. I am planning on sticking with my 7 for the next year and then seeing what comes out next year. Nothing that was offered this year really has me jazzed to get out and add debt to my budget.

9. Billburns macrumors 6502

Billburns

If you need a phone, get the 8.

If not stay put

10. MacDevil7334 macrumors 65816

MacDevil7334

For an iPhone 6, if you’re happy with the performance and it’s doing everything you need it to, there isn’t necessarily a reason you have to update this year. Though, I would echo others on here that staying on iOS 9 at this point is probably not the greatest idea from a security standpoint.

If you wanted to upgrade, I’d say both the iPhone 7 and 8 offer nice updates from the 6. The 7 is probably the best value at $550 and still gives you 3D Touch, a wide color screen, OIS in the camera, double the RAM, double the storage, and better battery life. Get the jet black if you plan to use it naked, as it offers much better grip. If you plan to use a case, get any of the other brushed finishes since they will be more durable than the jet black. The iPhone 8 offers some nice updates from the 7: true tone, better camera (especially when using the flash and in low light) and wireless charging. But, only you can decide if those are worth the extra $150 over the cost of the 7 (though you do get double the storage at that price). Either phone would be a substantial upgrade from the 6 though!

11. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Augmented Reality is not supported for iPhone 6. I would get the 8 if the X is not an option.
    This year is a great year to upgrade. If you don't care about Augmented Reality, OIS on the camera, not to mention the significantly enhanced quality should be a reason for you to upgrade.

I remembered back with the 6 and 6+ came out, I was not happy when OIS was an "exclusive to the +". With the 8, OIS is no longer limited to the plus models, this is a huge victory for us who prefer smaller form factors.

12. snow755 macrumors 65816

snow755

i would upgrade too at lest a iphone 7 or 7 pluse am vary happy with my 7 pluse and i will be skiping this years iphone 8 pluse and get next year iphone

13. se95dah macrumors member

se95dah

If your current phone works well and the new ones don’t excite you, hold on for another year.

14. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Keep the 6. It's the best of the bunch.

Apple forgot how to make telephones. The 7 had horrible speaker phone. The 8 crackles. What a joke.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 29, 2017 ---
    Why do you have to replace a whole phone to get a new battery?
    Another good reason to stay with the 6: it doesn't support all of the dumb, useless features Apple has added in the last few years. ForceTouch: Useless. No headphone jack: Dumb. Augmented Reality: Who cares?

15. Shadowbech macrumors 601

Actually iPhone 8 is not a joke. The cracks sound issue? Yes but it's fixed in iOS 11.1

16. janeauburn macrumors 6502a

janeauburn

Being on 9.3.3 means he/she has an iOS version that won't slow the phone to obsolescence. Security updates? Another marketing ploy to get folks to hand over their cash for a new phone.

17. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

There are any number of reasons why it may make sense to buy a new phone.

Are you short of space for photos and apps?

But if the space isn't a problem, then whether to buy or not is up to you.

I'm sitting this year out...but I have a 128gb 6s. A far cry from a 16gb ip6.

But if you are disappointed in what the new phones are offering and the price...think about buying a pre-owned phone. Or wait till next year.

18. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Same here! Sticking with my 6s Plus until next year & then figure things out on the second X rev. Until then, I may fork over $79 for a battery replacement. No compelling reason to upgrade, otherwise.

19. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

I have to hand it to you that you've resisted the urge to upgrade the iOS. Not to mention the constant nagging by Apple to upgrade.

I'm on iOS 9 also...and I plan to stay that way for as long as I possibly can.

20. alm99 macrumors 6502

NM. I got it

21. nilk macrumors 6502a

The marketing ploy is that they don't provide security updates to previous major versions, and absolutely Apple is being irresponsible here. That's unfortunate, but nevertheless, it's still a very bad idea to stay vulnerable and it's irresponsible for you to suggest otherwise.

At the very least, check the list remote code execution vulnerabilities and see if there is anything especially dangerous that may have exploits in the wild. At least 9.3.3 fixed the TIFF vulnerability, which was especially bad considering all it took was an image that could be sent by iMessage/MMS, could be in a web page, etc. I don't remember off-hand whether there's been anything as bad since then, but if there's been anything similar you most definitely don't want to stay on an old iOS version unless you really don't mind getting hacked.

22. 576316 macrumors 601

Holding on to my 7 Plus for another year. Mostly because I’m a student and I can’t afford a new phone every year, but I also only got this in January. As well as the fact you really aren’t missing out on anything by not owning an iPhone 8, besides maybe that lovely new glass back. I think most people would completely forget they’re even using an 8 if they’d just upgraded from a 7. For all intents and purposes, this is an incremental update that really should have been called the iPhone 7s.

23. Moolani macrumors member

Moolani

Great write up. There really is a phone at every price point so the key is deciding which features you truly need and how much you want to spend.
    Although the performance bumps are somewhat incremental, the complete change in the body composition probably justifies the "8" designation. I agree that it is hard to justify going from a 7 to an 8, especially if money is a concern and If your 7 is relatively new.

24. bufffilm Suspended

bufffilm

The Tiff vulnerability is overplayed IYAM.

And I'm proof against it even as I continue to rock 9.0.2

25. nilk macrumors 6502a

How do you know you haven't been hacked?