iPhone 8 or wait for Pixel 2? (Long time Android user)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cakefish, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Cakefish macrumors 6502a

Cakefish

Okay I know that the Pixel 2 hasn’t been announced yet and is still firmly in rumour territory. But the iPhone 8 on the Apple Store is taunting me, as it’s still in stock, hours after preorders went live. I’ve been with Android for 6 years. But I am tempted to make a change, if only for something fresh and different!

Here’s what I value most in my phones: great camera, fast software updates, super fast performance with butter smooth animations, water resistance and consistent battery life.

So the advantages of the iPhone 8 from my perspective are:

- A11’s monstrously fast performance vs the less advanced Snapdragon 835
    - iPhone 8’s camera having OIS whilst the Pixel 2’s rumoured lack of it
    - 4K60 video vs 4K30 for Pixel 2 (Snapdragon 835 doesn’t support 4K60)
    - TrueTone display
    - Devs usually prioritise iOS versions of their apps over Android
    - Taptic Engine is freaking awesome (I’ve tried it)
    - Front facing fingerprint scanner can be used on tabletops easily
    - Syncs with my iPad Air 2
    - the fact I have an iPad means I have lightning cable already, giving an opportunity to unify my cables that I use
    - wireless charging (I already own a Qi wireless charger)
    - my brother has an iPhone so I could iMessage him

Pixel 2 meanwhile has these notable advantages:

- OLED display vs iPhone’s LCD (true blacks, higher contrast, higher PPI, punchier colours)
    - HDR+ camera processing is incredible
    - fast charging straight out the box (damn you Apple for not including it in iPhone 8 by default)
    - Android’s notification system is far superior to iOS 11’s in my opinion (I have iPad so am used to iOS’s quirks)
    - the stereo speakers will likely be superior vs the iPhone 8 (its made by HTC after all)
    - Android’s flexibility (ability to change default apps etc.)
    - likely has 128GB storage option (so likely a little cheaper than 256GB iPhone 8)
    - unlimited cloud photo and video backup is nice to have
    - rear facing fingerprint scanner is more one-hand friendly
    - I prefer Google’s emoji designs

What do y’all think? Any Android to iOS switching experiences to share to help me decide? :)

2. Rayban macrumors 6502

Rayban

First had iPhone 3GS then went to Android and then back to iPhone for the 5 then 6 Plus. I switched to the Pixel last year and this year I'm going for the X. I've tried to switch to Android to "save money" but to me it seems I'm in constant beta testing with Android. Buy only an Android phone if it's under $400.
    In short: go iPhone.

3. fatalogic macrumors regular

fatalogic

I think you should try switching. Brand loyalty is overrated. I switched last year and the only thing I miss is google assistant. It is available for iOS but obviously not intergrated as well as Siri. Also with iPhone resale values you can either upgrade next year to the S version of the IPhone X which will problably fix the usual 1st gen Apple problems or you could go back to android for little money out of pocket.

4. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Google Assistant is the only thing keeping me from switching. I too have been an android user for 7 years, but owned an iPad for 5... let me tell you, iOS is just so much less clunkier and smoother than Android, but Siri really needs to improve. Google Assistant is just so convenient and smart (and I'm happy to give Google my information for that - it's why Siri won't ever be as good because of privacy yadda yadda). Google Maps is also far superior and all recent Android phones have a tight integration with Google Services.

I now own a Samsung S7, but my best experience was with the Nexus 5 with pure Android. I don't know why people praise Samsung so much with their bloatware and skins installed - it dampens the phone experience.

So I get the predicament - Pixel 2 vs iPhone - both good options.

IMHO, I'd recommend the iPhone 8 Plus (you'll get used to the size), simply because iOS + Apple hardware which has finally caught up with Android in terms of features + Air 2 (Airdrop file transfer is sweet cake).

If you can save up for it, then gift yourself with the X, and if you just want to try, then the 6S plus.

Will you try macOS? Because that would seal the deal when going with iPhone. Even Android doesn't integrate well with Windows, or macOS, but Google Services are hard to beat.

5. lparsons21 macrumors 6502

lparsons21

Besides the pluses you list, I think iMessage should be added. It is just the best messaging app out there IMO and lots of people stay with Apple just because of it. Google's messaging is a bit of a mess with Hangouts, Allo and Duo and now a new one to be embedded. Makes it hard to keep up. iMessages just keeps getting better and more flexible while keeping all the good things about it. Just my $.02

6. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

7. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68020

TroyBoy30

Do like me and get the x and the pixel 2 xl

8. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

Well the announcement for the Pixel 2 is October 4th; If you order online your 8 should arrive around that point if not just before. Or you can likely pick it up on launch day at a store near you. Either way 14 day return window should bring you to October 6th at which point you should be able to determine if the Pixel 2 is for you and either return the 8 or keep it.

9. KGB7 Suspended

KGB7

Unlimited cloud storage for Pixel owners?? And it's free??

Pixel XL might be a great phone, but IOS is superior to Android. As other poster stated, being a constant Beta tester with Android got old fast.

10. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

As just mentioned above ^. Buy the iPhone 8 and test drive it for the next 13 days and if you're not happy, return it within the 14 day window. That way you'll have enough time to know if you like it or not and be in time for the release of the Pixel 2.

I'm switching in the opposite direction to you :p

11. Cakefish thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cakefish

Thanks for the responses!

I also have the Galaxy S7 currently and find it lacking in the UI fluidity that I desire and frustrated by the lack of frequent OS updates. Honestly, I actually hardly ever use Google Assistant. Or Siri on my iPad either. It’s nice to have the option but I just never find myself using them all that much.

No, nothing against MacOS but I’m definitely firmly tied into Windows as I have a gaming PC. I don’t see that situation changing anytime soon though I do have an iPad Air 2 (which I’ve been really impressed with how fluid the UI still feels considering it’s age).

Not interested in the X actually. It looks great but I am not ready to leave fingerprint scanners behind just yet.

Appreciate your thoughts!

I did mention it right at the bottom of the list but easy to miss! My brother has iMessage (and many others I know). Good point.

12. Mxbzz macrumors 6502

I make the change between iOS/Android as my primary phone at least once a year, and will always say the iPhone is consistently smoother on a day-to-day basis. There are limitations to the software that make me switch back to Android (such as widget implementation or lack of automation capabilities due to system restrictions).

I second the idea of getting the iPhone 8 and trying it out for the full two weeks. That should be enough time to find alternatives to any functionality you may lose on the iPhone, or if that functionality is completely impossible.

And for those who say they kept feeling like they were beta-testing Android, were you guys playing with new launchers or tweaking the UI in any way? Using Android as-is doesn't give me that impression of being a beta tester, but the endless possibilities of customizing Android to your liking may inhibit that feeling. However, I put that as a pro for Android because you don't get that kind of option on iOS without jailbreaking.

13. spybyscript macrumors newbie

spybyscript

Android hardware, particularly devices running on the 835, is seriously behind the power curve. You might not see this in every day use of the OS, apps that are made for multi-threading, but you definitely will see it in web content. Qualcomm focuses on lots of low powered cores, versus Apple having 2 powerful cores and a few slower cores for low power. This becomes super apparent with javascript (which causes the horrible performance in any browser on Android) as well as CPU intensive apps (apps that do image/video filtering on device).

Having most major Android devices and iOS devices (dev working on both platforms) iOS is superior internal hardware marred by a very aged OS that hasn't improved in any major way until iOS 11, and that is mostly for tablets. Really, the only thing Android has is customizability and Google Assistant, which is superior to Siri. Most other Google products actually receive far better support on Android to the point where sometimes it's ridiculous how behind the Android version is of their own apps. Inbox and Gmail (until fairly recently) were two of the most noticeable of those.

The Pixel phone was good, but it wasn't so good that it really beat the camera on the plus iPhone plus models. In most situations the camera was relatively close, not enough to make it a buying decision.

The fact the Pixel 2 is sticking with the 835 means you're probably better off getting any of the already existing 835 based models, unless you really, really want that vanilla experience. For example, as much maligned as Samsung is about updating their OSes, their phones run very well, Samsung has really become an industry leader in design (it is sad to see Apple fall, they used to be so great about design), and Samsung pay is the best mobile platform out there because it can work on any CC reader that has swipe along with NFC payments. When I use an S8 as my daily driver it's nice to be able to just use my phone at any location I want, even if they don't support mobile payment.

So I'd say better to go with a Samsung S8+ (which is going to be cheaper than an iPhone/Pixel 2) or switch to the iPhone 8, which probably will have the best camera this time around. Or at the minimum as good as the Pixel 2.

14. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

- Great Camera - Cameras will be similar
    - Fast software updates - iPhone
    - Super fast performance and smooth animations - iPhone
    - Water Resistance - If Pixel 2 gets it, it's a non issue
    - Consistent battery life - iPhone. Standby and consistency is really good on iPhone.

15. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I never understood the appeal of iMessage. What's so special about it? It has some bubble effects, cheesy backgrounds such as confetti or balloons, and bloatware in the form of an App Store for stickers. And soon, Animojis on the iPhone X. These are the only unique features of iMessage and to be honest, they're just gimmicky features that add no real substance to messaging. Not only that, they're useless if the recipient doesn't have an iOS device, so you've already cut out a good chunk of its utility.

Telegram is far superior and more powerful than iMessage and has good cross-platform support, not limited to iOS or Mac.

16. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I used Android from the launch of the Droid X until the launch of the 6s Plus. I'm eligible for upgrade now, and I'm waiting to see what the Pixel brings. I'm really considering going back. One thing I'm really hating with iOS is how it handles notifications. Just...no. I'm really sick of that aspect of the experience.

17. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

Yeah that is something I have wished Apple would address in some way. I am pretty much using my Apple Watch as a proper notification system vs my phone. But then I am sure that's what they wanted me to do...

18. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

At least part of the appeal for those of us who have multiple Apple devices--and there are a lot of us who fit that profile--is that we can receive and respond to our texts across any of our devices without having to download third-party software for ourselves while also having to convince others to use third-party software.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    LOL

I turned off almost all non-messaging notifications on my Apple Watch. Those got too annoying.

19. Fummijen macrumors member

Fummijen

Well it depends. I had the original iPhone and a 3GS, then switched to Android until I picked up the 7+ last year. I believe both the 8 and X will support HDR.

It is worth pointing out you can install practically all the "google" apps onto your iphone, including I think Google's Photos app. So you could still take advantage of the photo uploads. Plus all of your Play Store music, movies, books/magazines.

I actually have Google Maps and Hangouts installed. And my family uses maps to share our location with each other in real time (they are still Android users).

Mostly it comes down to which os ui interface you like best.

My opinion is iOS is "smoother" in operation. I have always appreciated Apple's software design. Over the past year or two I have grown increasingly suspicious of Google. Apple earns it's money through hardware and software sales. Google (Alphabet) is still at its core a web search/ad sales company. Google offers all these free services (photo uploads etc.) because you pay for it with your data/info.

That being said, the Pixel are good quality devices. I considered going back to Android with a Pixel two, but decided overall I am very satisfied with my unified Apple devices (I also have an iPad Pro, and MacBook Pro.) The rumors strongly indicate a new Pixel reveal event set for Oct. 5, 2017. And an appearance that is very iPhone 7/8 -esque.

just my two cents

20. stabile007 macrumors regular

stabile007

Oh that's pretty much me. I hate notifications too many as it is; I view them as ways to triage communications and not about seeing what glitter fart add-on for princess unicorn rider is now available for 10000 gems.

21. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

It's a native app and seamlessly falls back to SMS. You don't have to explain to your family and friends why they should install yet another messaging app.

22. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I can understand that, but that assumes all your contacts are using iOS. In that case, using iMessage is perfectly fine for convenience and simplicity. My argument was more about why people choose to stay with iOS because of iMessage or just say it's the best messaging app without providing a reason when third-party apps already do the same job (and better) and are not limited to communication between iOS users.

23. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I definitely don't think iMessage is the best; as you said, it's just convenience. I kinda wish everyone in the US would just get onboard with WhatsApp.

24. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Go for what you want and can afford.