iPhone 8(+) iPhone 8 Plus Crackling and Heat!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rdunlap, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you, I been getting that cracking sound at times too. Try hanging up and calling again. I don't think it's software or phone hardware related. Might be carrier related.
    About the heat figure out when or what kind of use makes it heat up.
    Run a bunch of games or any processor intensive usage app and then have the Apple rep touch it.
    Use the same apps on the display models at Apple to see if they all heat up the same or if it's just your particular device with the heating issue. Try going again and speak to a supervisor or manager. Hope they take care of you.

2. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

It's too early for Apple to have refurb units of a phone that was just released. Usually refurbs don't appear till a few months after a model is released, because it takes time to replace the casing, battery, testing, etc.
    So if you exchange it now, they'll have to replace it with a new one.

3. rdunlap thread starter macrumors regular

I’m wondering if I should bring the box and everything with me when I go next time?

4. Reno Raines macrumors 65816

It seems like it is the 8+ that seems to be having the most issues.

5. areyes163 macrumors 6502

areyes163

Luckily I do not have my issues yet with my 8 plus. Running like a champ. Calls are clear.

6. DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

This happened to you?

7. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

My husband and I get this on our iPhone 7 Pluses, too. AT&T, unlocked Qualcomm modems.

My 7 Plus at times gets very hot when the ambient temps are hot and Pokémon Go is a real barn burner, but this problem the OP is having doesn’t sound normal if he’s just talking or posting here and it gets that scary hot.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why would you bring the box and everything?
    If you're within the 14 day return period then bring it all in and get a refund. And purchase another one.
    If you passed the 2 weeks then if they replace it they will just give you a replacement phone. Not the box, wires, headphones etc...
    Just the phone.

9. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Sometimes early model productions models have technical issues that need to be resolved. But it usually seems to work itself naturally once the phone is produced much later on after the release.

10. Bethanie21 macrumors regular

Bethanie21

Wait until the X comes out, I bet that’ll have issues too. Most new generation iPhones do.

11. macfacts macrumors 68030

macfacts

You probably won't get a new car but will get it fixed for free. No one is stopping Apple from fixing the iPhones, it is Apple's choice to replace them with a refurbished iPhone. If the issue is a manufacturer defect, I want it fixed for free or new replacement.

Apple doesn't want to fix and return cause it would take time, time that will make customers annoyed.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, they fix/repair plenty of things like home buttons, screens, headphone speaker, battery etc..
    Or if not they get a replacement unit. Not brand new phone according to their warranty policy.

13. DNichter macrumors 604

DNichter

I’ve never had any and I’ve had each except the SE and C. The X very well might but I wouldn’t think the 8 would. Just surprising.

14. rdunlap thread starter macrumors regular

Went to the Apple Store this morning and they replaced the unit for me. It looks brand new but the model number starts with an N instead of an M, distinguishing it’s a replacement unit and not retail. Not sure if it’s new or not though. The genius stated it’s too early for refurbished units to be available so they’re all new, they’re just allocated for replacements instead of boxed for retail. Hey, as long as it works I’m ok with whatever it is.

15. rdunlap thread starter macrumors regular

I'm a little upset though, as the new phone replacement seems to have horrible battery life so far. Hoping that I just need to let it go through a few battery cycles to get it where it's supposed to be.

16. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

When the iPhone is set up as a new device, sometimes it takes a while for it to initialize. Which could be a partial reason to why your battery life may not seem at par at the moment. I would monitor it, but if it becomes an issue, then Apple can also conduct a free battery test as well. Or you can use Coconut battery off your MacBook if applicable.

17. 0385689 Suspended