iPhone 8(+) iPhone 8 Plus - Crackling Audio Glitch on 11.1.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cool Pup, Nov 16, 2017.

1. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I updated my phone to the latest iOS software and pulled up a YouTube video and discovered the infamous crackling audio glitch on my phone — something I've never had an issue with until now, on iOS 11.1.2!

I looked and apparently the issue was "resolved" in iOS 11.0.2, but I never had an issue until just now. I also notice that it only seems to happen within some applications, namely YouTube. I don't hear any crackling audio on music files within the native iOS applications like movie files or anything of the sort. It seems to just be allocated within the YouTube app in my experience.

Has anyone else had this issue creep up again, and what did you do about it if so? I'm relieved it doesn't appear to be a hardware problem, but it makes using YouTube on my phone pretty much impossible.

2. Cool Pup thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Am I alone in this? I cannot fathom that this is a hardware issue because it only persists in YouTube as far as I've encountered, but I might be wrong... (It works flawless in other apps on other tests).

3. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Could you post a video?

4. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

5. Pesci macrumors newbie

I have an Iphone 8 with this exact same issue which started yesterday. Im still on ios 11.1.1
    I have crackling audio only in the youtube app and not in any other app as far as I can tell. I have it on both wifi and LTE.

One thing I discovered was that when I'm in my car and play youtube via bluetooth, there's no crackling and it plays perfect over the car speakers.

It seems you have the same audio issue so I'm thinking it's either ios11 related or the youtube app is buggy since ios 11.1.1

I will update to ios 11.1.2 to see if that solves it, probably not.

6. wassup121 macrumors regular

I had some random cracklings today. But phone always on mute so but will test more with silent mode off (8+)

7. Chrhag macrumors newbie

Chrhag

We’re having the same problem on an iPhone 8, iOS 11.1.2. The problem only appears in the YouTube app, and not when using the ear speakers. Any tips on how to solve this?

8. jjayr41 macrumors member

jjayr41

Yup just updated to 11.2.1 as well and now have crackling when using YouTube app only. Didn't have this issue yesterday....

9. KillerScoregasm macrumors newbie

KillerScoregasm

I just got to watch a video on my phone and turn the volume to max and it is popping and cracking, just updated to 11.1.2 and definitely wasn’t doing it prior.

10. Bemmrich macrumors newbie

Bemmrich

Same here y’all. I just got my 8+ TODAY and noticed it in YouTube app. WTF

11. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I’ve been bringing up in-app speaker clipping & audio cracking since 8+ came out. Horrible in Sky Guide and Sudoku ME. Catalyst seems to be a background noise with secondary noises on top.

12. Pesci macrumors newbie

From what I've seen on the web it's definitely the youtube app, there's alot of people with the same problem since today, also on iphone 7 and plus.

All we can do is wait till google updates the app, a workaround is using youtube from safari/chrome then the crackling stops, I can confirm this works on my iphone 8. (also deleting/reinstalling the app does nothing)

13. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Maybe Sky Guide & Sudoku ME can do the same.. but they are blaming Apple.

14. Mari8602 macrumors newbie

Yes! I just updated and I notice the crackling in the youtube app, on every type of video. But I dont hear it in music, podcasts or videos. There is a long forum on reddit with many people having this same problem (in youtube app) . Hope this is fixed soon!

15. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

The issue resolved in 11.0.2 was in-call (not speakerphone) static/cracking. Not within apps.

16. Mari8602 macrumors newbie

Sky Guide was really bad with the crackling. I use Star Walk 2 and don't hear anything...if that helps :)

17. themarriedmommy macrumors member

Having this issue as well on my 8 plus . Also my screen went dim on one side. I just updated. Not sure if the screen dimming has anything to do with it.

18. Sparky2012 macrumors 6502

Sparky2012

I have this issue too, but I’m on iOS 11.1
    The issue literally started about 10 mins ago, YouTube was fine and then it starts crackling out of nowhere.

I’ve also found the phone does this with music/audio from any app in the background when switching apps, or something involving a bit of CPU activity.

Sorry, but to be quite honest, it’s simply unacceptable for this to be arising. I don’t complain much, but I feel this issue (background audio) is lack of quality control/testing, and just poor from Apple.

Anyways, here’s hoping for a YouTube app update, and a fix from Apple for the background audio clicking.

19. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I might ignore the update so I can show this to Apple next week. This 8+ was over $1,000.

20. Wayward macrumors member

Popping in the YouTube app started right after I installed 11.1.2 on my 8 Plus.

No popping on my iPad Pro 10.5 running 11.1.2.

21. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

22. Bemmrich macrumors newbie

Bemmrich

I just spent an hour with apple tech support over chat. They claim it’s the YouTube app and confirmed this by saying that they were contacted by YouTube already and they acknowledge that there was a problem. Of course then the apple tech said we could try doing a fresh reset and install everything over again on my new phone. :/ I declined his offer and will wait for YouTube to figure it out. But the good news is YouTube is aware and are working on a solution. So keep an eye out for a YouTube app update in the App Store.

23. Cool Pup thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Great news everyone. Glad to hear it isn't affecting our hardware and is just selective applications, namely YouTube here in particular.

I was just able to watch a complete video on YouTube without any crackling, but it doesn't seem like there was an update. Hopefully they resolve it long-term, so we don't have to deal with this anymore.

24. Pesci macrumors newbie

crackling has stopped here aswell with no update (iphone 8 ios 11.1.2)

25. naturalstar macrumors 6502a

naturalstar

Nothing wrong here on 11.1.1 on the 8 Plus. I’ve never experienced any crackle or pop issues regardless of version since owning the phone, however.