iPhone 8 Plus question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mel8899, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Mel8899 macrumors regular

Mel8899

I ordered the 8 but have questions on the 8 plus. Is the camera and battery life worth having the Plus? If I change my mind will AT&T let me trade tomorrow?

TIA

2. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

I think you should try the phone at the store first.

3. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

I would for sure, just was looking for some opinions.

4. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Opinions doesn't matter. It's what you value it...and be a rational buyer as well. Is it worth it? Check it out. There's plenty of iphone 8 and plus online.

5. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

I disagree. Opinions can be helpful!

6. macTW Suspended

Opinions matter. How you value it matters too.
    The only time opinions don’t matter on value is if the OP is all knowing and doesn’t need more information from others.

7. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

That's true. I take my previous post back.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 21, 2017 ---
    I'll take it back. Listen to opinions and buy what you want.

8. videojanitor macrumors member

videojanitor

My opinion: It probably comes down more to what screen size you prefer. I have the 6+ and ordered the 8+ simply because I know I must have the larger screen. No other factors considered in my case. Those who prefer the smaller screen and form factor will no doubt prefer the 8.

9. saltd macrumors 6502a

saltd

The only advantage to the 8 is the smaller size. Otherwise it’s a lesser device.

10. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Opinions are often very deceptive because people who live their lives often live their lives differently than you. Just look at politics, how does half of the country vote completely different than the other half - at first glance, usually these people are no different.

I have learned to value opinions very lightly because I find a lot of people are not like me. I need to experience things myself to come to my own conclusions. That said, I give my opinion a LOT here on this site.

So although I support what @pat500000 said, I'll give my opinion because you asked for it but highly recommend you check it out yourself.

My wife is 5'1 and has tiny hands. That said, when she got a 6+ with me (I got a 6+ too) we've never looked back. We even both got 6s+ phones and will both get 8+ phones (though she is waiting for the rose gold 8+). As someone who uses his phone a lot, I could never go back to a smaller phone - the screen viewing space, better battery life, bigger phone is a MUST now. I also got the 8+ to get the 2 cameras because I take anywhere from 800-1000 photos a month (hobby, to assist my memory).

However, I have family members that have gone to the plus and back to smaller size and they prefer it. This is why what @pat500000 said is very important. Try it out in the store, do what is best for you because it does come down to personal preference. Good luck!

11. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

The reason why I said opinion doesn't matter initially is that there's a bias into this. I'm not that person. That person is not me. We have different values when it comes to purchasing. We have our own criteria when it comes to buying this. This phone is great..and that phone is just great as the other phone. It comes down to this: what do you want? If a person has no idea what to buy, that person should stop the purchasing and sit and think...and do watch some videos about it.

12. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

I also take a lot of pics and having a better battery is quite important. I would of course check it out before I totally changed my mind. I was just wondering what others thought of theirs. I’m 5’1” with small hands and always put my phone in my front pocket.

I would never buy it just because everyone said to. I’m on the fence at the moment.

13. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

Try it out at the stores first.

14. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Hah wow someone the same height as my wife :) My wife mostly puts her phone in her back pocket - won't fit in her front pocket with the +. She just told me now: "The front pocket in womens pants are useless." lol.

She loves the phone and uses it all day (much more than I do on a factor of 3x).

15. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

Yes women’s pocket are definitely worthless. I can’t get through a hole day on my 7 battery.

16. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Battery on the + model is GREAT. :)

17. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

Hmmm wonder if they would let me trade for Plus if I want. Course they may not have any...

18. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

LL Bean jeans have good front pockets but even so, at 5'2" I don't often put my IPhone 7 Plus into my front pocket. Honestly, once they left the iPhone 4/4s form factor behind, iPhones were never really easy to carry around in the front pocket again. I do fine with the IPhone 7 Plus in my back pocket or in the frontmost pocket of my small backpacks. I don't often carry purses. I usually carry small backpacks slung over one shoulder so it's almost held like a purse. If I need both hands free I am all set by putting both shoulder straps on.

I used an SE for awhile and it has been great but I gradually came to prefer the larger display and now share much in common with @BigMcGuire point of view. I am also considering iPhone X, but leaning more toward IPhone 8 Plus. I'm just waiting to see it in person, maybe this weekend, so I can decide on a color.

19. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

My jean pockets are sideways if that makes sense, that’s the only reason I can carry in front.

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Oh wow, what brand of jeans are these, if you don't mind telling?

21. Mel8899 thread starter macrumors regular

Mel8899

Style & Co, I get them from Macy’s. Only jeans I like!!!

22. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If you carry it in your jean pockets, don't get the Plus. You'll end up bending the phone. Some might tell you otherwise, but it's big risk.

The Plus is for people with a different lifestyle - either carry it in a jacket pocket, bag, or hold it using a flip case.

23. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Thanks, I'll check them out!
    That's true, but I always remove my phone when I sit or bend over. So it stays pretty flat.

24. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

If that's the case, I would consider the Plus. Keep in mind the battery life is not significantly better than the 4.7" model. If you look at real benchmarks, you get about 30 minutes more Internet browsing use compared to the standard model.

The camera is better with the 2x optical zoom but really, it's the larger display area that you're paying for. You'll be able to use the Internet and apps more comfortably.

25. geemiller05 macrumors 6502

This. If you favor a small profile in your hands, 8 all the way. If that doesn’t matter so much or your hands are big enough to handle the + comfortably, then the 8+ is the better phone in every way.