iPhone 8(+) iPhone 8 plus screen scratches

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by seeforyourself, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Simacca macrumors 6502a

Simacca

I usually have micro scratches on my screen by now (6s). My 8+ hasn’t got one scratch yet. Seems better than my 6s.

2. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

There is a YouTube video where the guy has a set of picks that are numbered by Mohs hardness. The SE's screen starts to scratch with a level 6 pick, so it's about 5 on the scale (which is also the hardness of regular glass. Figures...) You can buy 9H (Mohs level 9) screen protectors.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2017 ---
    And then I find a phone repair website that says the large number of "9H" screen protectors they tested don't get past 6 or 7 and the "9H" is actually based on pencil hardness, like a 9H pencil.

But this is the best point I have found on the topic:

The point of a screen protector isn’t to be tougher than the screen. It’s to be cheaper than the screen. You can take it off and put a new one on without scratches.

3. Ardmanz macrumors regular

I've had my 8+ for about 3 weeks and the screen is covered in scratches. My 6 I had since release week had 1 scratch (and I know how I did that).

It's a new phone so I've been a lot more careful with it than I was with my old 6 but every time I turn the screen on I notice a new scratch. Not really sure there's anything that can be done, I doubt apple will do anything.

4. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

The scratches you see are likely just in the oleophobic coating, which is softer than the glass. I know that it is aggravating though...

It’s a tool though - use it!

5. Ardmanz macrumors regular

Perhaps, I can't actually feel any of the scratches on the screen.

Was that not present on the iPhone 6?

6. jcarlough macrumors newbie

I disagree. If a phone needs a screen protector to prevent scratches from everyday use then it should come with one.

We spend lots of money on these phones. If they are going to scratch by simply putting it in your pocket then again, it should come with a protector.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

7. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

8 Plus for weeks. I do take care of screen.. blow off any sand before using microfiber.

I don’t use screen protectors.
    Take phone everywhere.
    In back pocket while coaching baseball games for example.

Screen looking great. Those tiny micro scratches to the oleophobic later will happen. Only visible in direct light. Don’t have any of these yet.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

On the contrary, if an iPhone includes a screen protector to prevent scratches from every day use as you stated, then you have to factor in the cost associated with the iPhone as well. For some, they are not interested in the screen protector or they have a specific screen protector they want to use versus one that comes inside the box. I feel an included screen protector inside the box would be an unused accessory by many.

9. MaryBessP macrumors newbie

MaryBessP

I noticed tiny micro scratches on my 8+ yesterday. I bought it less than 2 weeks ago, so I was surprised at the damage. I had held off on a screen protector bc I wasn’t sure I’d keep the phone. It’s my first “Plus” phone, and I was worried about adjusting to such a large phone. It definitely seems more prone to scratches than my previous iPhones. I put a screen protector on it today, and now I can’t detect those annoying tiny scratches.

I guess it only dings potential resale value, but who cares about a pristine screen when we all use stupid screen protectors anyway? I may trade up to something different after a year anyway, and then it’s Apple who gets my scratched up phone. Tl;dr iPhone 8+ seems to be scratch-prone, but it doesn’t really matter.

10. miccio91 macrumors newbie

miccio91

I actually have the exact same issue and feel the same way. I had an iPhone SE before and it never got any scratches without using any case or screen protection. Now, with the brand new iPhone 8, using a case and a screen protection, I can already notice scratches on the screen which are very annoying. What can I do to fix this?

11. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

My experience as well. My 6s+ had a nice scratch right in the middle (couldn't notice on bright screens - but could if it was a dark screen). 8+ seems to be doing much much better.

12. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

On the screen protector. There would have to be some voodoo happening for scratches to form on the screen under a screen protector.

13. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The OP is saying they noticed The scratches on the display with the screen protector attached. Usually screen protectors can hide scratches, in this case, the OP saying they did not.

14. sluvender macrumors newbie

I'm experiencing this on my iPhone 8, too.

I never had a single scratch on any phone from iPhone 4 onward, but my iPhone 8 already has a ton of micro scratches (only visible with the screen off) after a relatively short time of ownership — and light use at that, no different from now I've used any iPhone in the past.

It's annoying that the screens used to be perfectly scratch resistant for everyday use, and now the new screens seem to be worse at scratch resistance. Everything still works fine and the scratches aren't noticeable when the iPhone is in use, though.

15. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I really do think there was a batch of phones produced, where the oleophobic coating was "soft" and allowed scratching more easily than what we've seen in the past. Maybe rushed off the production line.

16. Volusia macrumors 6502

Volusia

First thing I put on my phones is the screen protector!
    Second is a protective case.

17. anthony13 macrumors regular

I’ve had all but two iPhones and never used a screen protector. I don’t remember a single scratch on any of them. My X has plenty in the first two weeks. It’s really baffling.

18. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

I don’t use screen protectors. So far 8 Plus has been great about avoiding the micro-scratches. I am careful though. Good idea to blow air over the screen before using a microfiber cloth.

19. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

To each their own, but I never use canned air on a phone ever. What I do use though, is a microfiber dedicated solely to cleaning my iPhone display and nothing else. And yes, I have no scratches whatsoever on any my iOS devices for my own methods.

20. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Not canned air. Just blow some old-fashioned breath on it to clear any sand that might scratch the coating.

21. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

I use Clearwipe Lens Cleaner cloths on my devices. Excellent cleaning and they never caused one little scratch on my Z5 Compact that had no screen protector. I have a tempered glass screen protector on my SE, just because information about iPhone screen resilience was patchy compared to Android phones with Gorilla Glass, Dragontrail and Sapphire screens. Most newer Android phones don't have much need for a screen protector.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Which, those will also remove the oleophobic coating. The only thing you need is a Microfiber cloth in my opinion.

23. MartyvH macrumors regular

MartyvH

Oh crap, that's right. OK, now using the several microfibre cloths I have just sitting there. You can also buy replacement oleophobic coating. Not so bad.

24. apolloa macrumors G4

My worry with screen protectors is how they affect the finger print coating should you choose to not use them in the future?

25. DCIFRTHS, Jan 15, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2018

DCIFRTHS macrumors 6502a

DCIFRTHS

--- Post Merged, Jan 15, 2018 ---
    I use canned air to remove dust from my iPhone and iPad.