iPhone 8 reminds me why I don't like fake home buttons...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Starfyre, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

Having stopped by an Apple store with the possibility of picking up an iPhone 8, I had a strange feeling when pushing down on the home button. An Apple rep told me it was a vibration/haptic feedback. I much prefer the real home button that you can press down for real.

After spending some time with the phone, it looks really nice (though apps I tried to open that used AR crashed)... though I can’t get over the fake home button even though it looks pretty.

What do you guys think of the fake home button on the iPhone 8? How does the haptic feedback feel to you?

For me, the experience with the home button has been another push towards me leaning more on waiting for the X.

2. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

When I went from the 6 to the 7+, it felt different at first, but within a day or two I got used to it and haven't thought about it since. So much so that when I got my iPad Pro 10.5", it felt different havng an actual home button be a button.

Now, neither of them feel odd or different.

3. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

Well the fake home button has been here since the 7. I have to say that after spending a year with it, i don't mind it at all and actually think the haptic feedback does a great job. You can adjust how strong the feedback is.

4. dwfaust macrumors 601

dwfaust

It was that way on the 7/7+ last year. You get used to it. It doesn’t really matter what you prefer, Apple has decided that for you.

5. techspin macrumors 6502a

Feels fine to me. Previous mechanical home buttons were inconsistent so this is an improvement.

6. kevjen888 macrumors 6502a

I have tendinitis around my thumb and wrist, I feel much comfortable light press the home button on 7 than my 6S

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It does indeed feel a bit weird. You can, however, set the "strength" of the vibration and bringing that up to the highest setting has made it feel more like it used to. It's not perfect but it's not terrible.

As for it being like that on the 7, I'd wager that most 8 buyers didn't have a 7 so it's a "new" feature for a lot of people.

8. Strelok macrumors 6502a

Strelok

It feels odd, but I think I’ll end up getting used to it soon enough.

9. solodogg macrumors 6502

Love the solid state home button. No more cleaning the button with rubbing alcohol every few weeks to get the clicky feeling to go away, and no more wobbly loose home button after 6-7 months of daily use. IMO, this was the best upgrade on the iPhone 7.

10. snarlz macrumors 6502

snarlz

Feels like it won’t break and fail. Unlike everyone’s favourite the 4.

11. lah macrumors 6502

I like it the fake home button. The home button on my iPad Pro feels mushy.

12. PhillyGuy72 macrumors 65816

PhillyGuy72

It's different, I keep wanting to push harder. I'll get used to it, it doesn't bother me.
    I have to try some of these AR apps, just basically finished setting up this as a new phone. I connect it to iTunes and it wants me to set it up again - or use a backup. Right now iTunes can't see the new phone.

Itunes has always drove me up the wall...but this new iTunes, ugh!

13. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

Different at first, got use to it within hours and it feels great now.

14. predation macrumors 65816

One less point of failure. My engineer said it was one of the better design/function updates

15. Giantsbabe macrumors newbie

Giantsbabe

Wow, I am so glad to see this thread. Coming from m a 6s plus to an 8 plus, and having several iPads, I thought my new phone home button was broken. Now I get it. Thanks so much

16. txjeep macrumors member

This

17. Cseabreeze macrumors newbie

Moving from the 6 to the 7 I almost brought back the 7 after feeling the new home button. Was going to be a total deal breaker I thought. Felt artificial. Hated it.

After using it over time I think I actually prefer it. It becomes the new norm, and set to maximum feedback is my preference. Using the old home button still feels good but feels almost like a lesser quality experience.

So my advice would be don't let that sway you at all.

18. frankdogg macrumors 6502

frankdogg

I don't miss the physical home button. You get over it real quick. You can also adjust the haptic feedback when "pressing" the home button on the 7/8

19. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I actually don't miss the physical home button as well. I was actually used to the right when I got it. Particularly I have the 13 inch MBP Pro 2015 with force touch track pad and I've grown to get used to it. I knew that it would come to the iPhone (which it did, and love it)

20. phillytim, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Seriously - anyone who freaks about about the thought of a "fake" home button on the 7 & 8 should just stick with their old 6/5/4/whatever forever.

It's STILL a home button with TouchID on the 7 & 8, which is a lot more than can be said about the X.

21. Cseabreeze macrumors newbie

Yes.

22. Matyou98 macrumors newbie

I think making the phone water resistant was the key reason the change was made. Having the 7+ since launch this change has not made me prefer one over the other. It works now and has worked consistently before I had the 7+.

Knowing my phone can now get wet when previously it couldn't makes the home button change worth it to me.

23. Alexander.Of.Oz, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Alexander.Of.Oz macrumors 68030

Alexander.Of.Oz

Coming from the 6, I actually really like the Haptic Feedback of the 8 plus button! I'm even enjoying using 3-D Touch! Something I had previously thought was just a gimmick!

Just goes to show that you can train an old dog to do new tricks! ;)

24. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

When I got my 7 last year, it took me all of 2 minutes to get used to it.

Now, like if I’m helping my dad out with his phone (he has a 6S+), the “real” home button feels straight-up weird. I don’t like the travel.

25. Cseabreeze macrumors newbie

That's a good way to describe it.